Alfreso meals are the kind you can prepare in the cooling breezes of a summer morning and serve care free for supper that night without heating up the kitchen. In true Virtual Supper style we have whipped up a menu that delights all of your senses. Lets see what we have cooked up for you with this months theme. From informal after work gatherings to elegant, fine china brunches, this menu will provide you with some key tips and recipe ideas to help make your alfresco suppers a major success.
Jerry of Jerry's Thoughts, Musings and Rants starts our alfresco dinner off with a Grilled Pizza with Prosciutto, Arugula, and Lemon. The dough develops a yeastier, more complex flavor from a 24-hour resting period in the refrigerator. You can also use store-bought dough and make the process even easier.
Mary Ann of Meet Me in the Kitchen wowed us with a Summer Lemon-Vegetable Risotto. Asparagus, zucchini, yellow squash and sugar snap peas all combine together for this heavenly dish.
Jamie of Mom's Cooking Club brings along a refreshing Summer Peach and Tomato Salad for a well rounded meal.
**Poached Salmon with Creamy Herb Sauce**
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 2 cups water
- 3 tablespoons sliced shallots
- 6 black peppercorns
- 4 lemon slices
- 2 parsley sprigs
- 4 (6-ounce) skinless salmon fillets (about 1 inch thick)
- 1/2 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh sorrel
- 1/4 cup fat-free sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chervil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh dill
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups sugar snap peas, trimmed
- 8 cups torn Bibb lettuce (about 5 ounces)
1. To prepare salmon, combine the first 6 ingredients in a large skillet; bring to a boil. Add fish to pan. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes (fish may not be completely cooked). Remove from heat. Let stand, covered, 10 minutes. Remove fish from pan with a slotted spoon; place on a dish. Cover and chill. Discard cooking liquid.