|Roasted Strawberry Ice Cream|
with Chocolate Balsamic Sauce
As stated in previous posts not only were we wearing red and white T-shirts and sun hats at the MTBT household (the colours of the Canadian flag), but, we also enjoyed a feast of red and white dishes... from appetizers to dessert. I dreamed up a red and white menu that would make our ancestors proud and one that celebrated the Canadian spirit. After all what is a celebration without food!!! And what is Canada Day without red and white somewhere in the picture, or as in this case the star of the show. We wandered downtown and along the waterway with thousands of other people to have birthday cake, listen to music and enjoy the sunshine. Afterall we are a tourist town with many attractions and greenspace.
|A Mountie joins the celebrations in the Okanagan|
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 recipe Balsamic Roasted Strawberries (recipe below)
- 1 recipe Balsamic Chocolate Sauce (recipe below)
1. In a heavy bottomed saucepan bring the milk and cream to a boil. In a bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and sugar until pale. Continue to whisk while slowing pouring in the hot mixture until it is completely incorporated. Pour the entire thing back into the pan and stir until the mixture thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon. Pour into a bowl, stir in the vanilla extract and then cover and refrigerate until completely chilled.
(adapted slightly from Zoë Bakes)
- 2 pounds of strawberries
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2. Wash and hull the strawberries and pat dry. Toss with the sugar and let stand for 30 minutes.
3. Add the balsamic and toss again and then spread out onto your baking tray.
4. Bake for approx 40 minutes, until strawberries are jammy and there’s lots of juice. Pour the berries into a bowl and put in the fridge to cool completely.
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons light-brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Pinch of salt
- 4 ounces dark chocolate (preferably 61 percent cacao), finely chopped