2 July 2011

Celebrate Canada Day with Roasted Strawberry Ice Cream with Chocolate Balsamic Sauce

Roasted Strawberry Ice Cream
with Chocolate Balsamic Sauce
I hope you enjoyed your Canada day celebrations. We started the celebrations early on this blog and have been revelling ever since. I hope you have enjoyed following along with my patriotic menu. Today is my final post in my "Red (and White)" challenge. It has been a good deal of fun for me to challenge myself to come up with a menu based on a theme. Each dish has represented Canada as a melting pot of cultures, tastes and sounds which is an exact replica of what the philosophy of Canada is all about. With this unique red and white menu we have visited the four corners of the world  and focused on fresh, local and Canadian ingredients.

As stated in previous posts not only were we wearing red and white T-shirts and sun hats at the MTBT household (the colours of the Canadian flag), but, we also enjoyed a feast of red and white dishes... from appetizers to dessert.  I dreamed up a red and white menu that would make our ancestors proud and one that celebrated the Canadian spirit. After all what is a celebration without food!!! And what is Canada Day without red and white somewhere in the picture, or as in this case the star of the show. We wandered downtown and along the waterway with thousands of other people to have birthday cake, listen to music and enjoy the sunshine. Afterall we are a tourist town with many attractions and greenspace.

A Mountie joins the celebrations in the Okanagan
This year my patriotic red and white menu for my Is My Face is Red (and White) Challenge consisted of Rhubarb Lemonade, Red Pepper Hummus Sushi , Canadian Whiskey and Brown Sugar Flank Steak with Smashed Red Potatoes and a Goat Cheese Salad with Basil Vinaigrette. For dessert how could we top last years Raspberry Tiramisu as a reader so kindly pointed out to me!!!You may be right but this icecream made with roasted strawberries topped with a balsamic chocolate sauce comes pretty close!


When I came across this recipe for a roasted strawberry ice cream on Jerry's blog I instantly knew what I would be making for Canada Day celebrations and this years Red and White menu. I wanted to go one step further and experiment with balsamic vinegar and chocolate for a delectable topping since there was balsamic vinegar in the roasted strawberries. I searched the Internet and came up dry so decided to wing it! I am so glad that I did since the balsamic vinegar adds a depth of flavour to the sauce that has you guessing what's there. Strawberry season is short lived this year so I wanted to make the most of it with intense flavours and special dishes.

**Roasted Strawberry Ice Cream with  Balsamic Chocolate Sauce**
  • 3 egg yolks
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 1 cup milk
  • 2/3 cup sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 recipe Balsamic Roasted Strawberries (recipe below)
  • 1 recipe Balsamic Chocolate Sauce (recipe below)
 1. In a heavy bottomed saucepan bring the milk and cream to a boil. In a bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and sugar until pale. Continue to whisk while slowing pouring in the hot mixture until it is completely incorporated. Pour the entire thing back into the pan and stir until the mixture thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon. Pour into a bowl, stir in the vanilla extract and then cover and refrigerate until completely chilled.

2. Once both the strawberries and the custard are completely cool, get out your ice cream maker. Take a couple scoops of strawberries with juice out of the bowl and set aside. Strain the rest of the strawberries and combine the juice with the custard and pour into your ice cream machine and process according to your manufacturer’s instructions. When your ice cream is almost ready, add in the strained berries until they’re just incorporated, (if you add them in at the beginning, the machine has a hard time processing them). Put the finished ice cream into a container for a few hours to harden. Serve with Balsamic Chocolate Sauce and ENJOY!!!!!!

**Balsamic Roasted Strawberries**
(adapted slightly from Zoƫ Bakes)
  • 2 pounds of strawberries
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil so that it goes all the way up on all sides so that the wonderful juice that’s going to be created can’t escape.

2. Wash and hull the strawberries and pat dry. Toss with the sugar and let stand for 30 minutes.

3.  Add the balsamic and toss again and then spread out onto your baking tray.

4. Bake for approx 40 minutes, until strawberries are jammy and there’s lots of juice. Pour the berries into a bowl and put in the fridge to cool completely.

**Balsamic Chocolate Sauce**
  • 3/4 cup heavy cream
  • 3 tablespoons light-brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
  • Pinch of salt
  • 4 ounces dark chocolate (preferably 61 percent cacao), finely chopped
1.Bring cream, sugar, balsamic vinegar, and salt to a boil in a small saucepan. Pour over chocolate, and whisk to combine until chocolate is melted. Serve over ice cream.

You are reading this post on More Than Burnt Toast at http://morethanburnttoast.blogspot.com. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to the author and or owner of More Than Burnt Toast. All rights reserved by Valerie Harrison. Best Blogger Tips

25 comments:

  1. I think your celebration has been a major success and certainly ending with a bang with this incredible ice cream and sauce!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, that does look marvelous! We are doing home made ice cream, but just plain old vanilla with fresh berries!!! The kiddos fav! Have a happy weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This look delicious Vall, have a nice weekend my friend, xgloria

    ReplyDelete
  4. Val, first of all I wanted to let you know that I thought about you all week for Canada Day while we were discussing Canada in my Int'l Mktg. summer class. There was a super interesting youTube video on the 'crisis' of decreased agriculture production in Canada and too much being imported from other countries. I can send the segment to you if you like.

    How fun that the Royal newlyweds are in Canada right now! Bill and I LOVE Canada....he taught in Newfoundland for many summers and promises to take me there some day. For me, I like the west: Calgary, Banff, Jasper, BC. So so gorgeous!!!!

    I love this menu that you created for your celebration and this strawberry dessert is quite something! Who would ever have thought that balsamic vinegar goes so perfectly with strawberries! Great job!

    Hugs, Roz

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks deliciously different! Have I ever mentioned how much we enjoy visiting Canada? We've been five times now and, with each visit, enjoy the area (Montreal, Toronto, Quebec City, Ottawa and the countryside) and the people more and more. Thanks for being such a great neighbor!! Now, to get to the west coast.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks so delicious that it's cruel:-). I can sense my diet falling by the wayside this weekend. Take care, Val. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. Val, I'm not sure my first response made it through. Your ice cream looks amazing. I hope you have a wonderful weekend. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love roated strawberries ven more than the fresh ones! That is one fabulous ice cream.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  9. I once made a strawberry-balsamic jam, that was so delicious! Roasted strawberries and balsamic ice cream? Sounds amazing, Val.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have been making a strawberry ice cream with balsamic vinegar for some time, but I have never tasted roasted strawberries. I read your post after coming back from the farmers' market with some strawberries, so now they are in the oven to roast: I can't wait to taste them. Thanks for the suggestion!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Roomie! Happy Canada Day! I hope you enjoyed the day and celebrated in delicious ways. Thinking of you... My son Tim is celebrating CA day somewhere around Toronto..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Every aspect of your menu sounds wonderful, Val, but this ice cream really goes all out! Roasted strawberries sound heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just discovered your blog and I love it. Your gorgeous food pics are making me hungry...Happy belated Canada Day!...Greetings from Indiana...Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  14. Decadent! Especially that chocolate balsamic sauce...very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I absolutely love balsamic and strawberries and chocolate and strawberries. Fabulous idea to combine them... and in ice cream!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow that looks good. I have never thought to roast strawberries before. Great post! Happy Canada Day from Australia :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a beautiful way to celebrate Canada day.
    The ice cream and chocolate balsamic sauce looks very tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It looks like you had a beautiful holiday weekend! I'm about to enjoy my last day of Independence Day weekend in the US, where I didn't cook a single thing! :-D You made a beautiful menu and I'd eat it gladly - and I'm not even Canadian.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your celebration has been a great success Val and topping it off with roasted strawberry ice cream is the icing on the cake.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've been wanting to make balsamic roasted strawberries. This recipe takes it to whole new level. Beautiful, too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh my God how good it looks that and i`m sure that it tastes delicious. It is a great recipe and not very difficult, so i think that i will give it a try. Thanks a lot for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Given your description of Canada as a melting pot, your blog prefect represents the Canadian spirit even without the Canada Day themed recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  23. The roasted strawberry ice cream sounds amazing, Val. Love the idea of a balsamic-chocolate sauce to complement it.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh my word...!! You had me at hello! I have done balsamic roasted strawberries beofre but never thought to turn them into ice-cream :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. yum! i doubt i've ever had such a complex batch of strawberry ice cream. this is a great idea, val--nicely done!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my home. Thank you for choosing to stay a while and for sharing our lives through food. I appreciate all your support, comments, suggestions, and daily encouragement.

Val

This blog uses comment moderation therefore SPAMMERS, SELF-PROMOTERS and ADVERTISERS will be deleted.