|Apple and Olive Oil Cake with Maple Icing|
"The sun was warm but the wind was chill.
You know how it is with an April day.
When the sun is out and the wind is still,
You're one month on in the middle of May.
But if you so much as dare to speak,
a cloud come over the sunlit arch,
And wind comes off a frozen peak,
And you're two months back in the middle of March."
- Robert Frost, Two Tramps in Mud Time, 1926
**Apple and Olive Oil Cake with Maple Icing**
adapted from the Ottolenghi Cookbook
- 80g or 3oz sultanas
- 4 tablespoons water
- 280g or 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- 120mL or 1/2 cup olive oil
- 160g or 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 vanilla pod
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 Bramley apples or 4 Granny Smiths
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- 2 egg whites
- icing/confectioner's sugar (optional) for dusting - if not making the icing*
- 100g or 1 stick + 2 tsp unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 100g or 1/2 cup light muscovado sugar
- 85mL or 3 oz maple syrup
- 220g or 1 cup cream cheese or 1/2 mascarpone cheese
For the cake: