25 May 2009

Moosewood Feta Garlic Salad Dressing






































It seems to be a habit to wake up early on a Saturday morning and head to the local farmers market where Spring is around every corner with asparagus, fiddleheads, spring onions and mesclun. All of these found their way into my "environmentally safe" cloth bag... along with a dozen perogies:D Besides the local farmers and producers the market is a plethora of artisans and bakers. I have my eye on some bar stools make from local wine barrels, or the watercolour artist with scenes of the Okanagan. I can get a quick fix of hummus too from the Bean Boy, or local cheeses and grass fed beef.


I always arrive around 8 when the market first opens. Is that me rushing across the lawn to be the first in line for a taste of Spring? My eyes sparkle with anticipation to see what may be new in our local gardens this week.
I always start my day with a buckwheat crepe from Marta who has a crepe stand. She is from Quebec so her savory crepes have a combination of cheese curd and Gouda with a sprinkling of pesto...a perfect start to my day!!! I prefer these savoury combinations over the banana & Nutella, strawberry or peach. Call me crazy!!!

I am still trying to convince some of the local producers that zucchini flowers need to be amongst what they offer this year. No one came through last year, but I hope to convince at least one producer of the value of this specialty.

By the time I arrived home it was lunch time, so I mixed up one of my favourite dressing from Moosewood Cafe with the spicy greens I had in my bag. Mollie Katzen is best known as the creator of the groundbreaking classics Moosewood Cookbook, and The Enchanted Broccoli Forest. Her other books include the award-winning children's cookbook trilogy, Pretend Soup,Honest Pretzels, and Salad People; Vegetable Heaven (winner of the International Cookbook Reveu Best in Category award); Sunlight Café; Eat, Drink, and Weigh Less (with Walter Willett, MD of Harvard), and the best-selling The Vegetable Dishes I Can't Live Without.

**Moosewood Feta Garlic Salad Dressing**

1 cup olive oil
2-3 tablespoons vinegar
2-3 garlic cloves, pressed
1 teaspoon dried dill or 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
Salt and pepper to taste
1 1/2 cup feta cheese
1 cup milk or buttermilk

In a blender or food processor, whirl all the ingredients except the milk (or buttermilk) for one minute. With the blender running, slowly pour in the milk. As soon as the dressing thickens, turn off the blender, or the dressing will separate and become runny. It should be think and creamy. Chill at least 30 minutes so the flavors meld. Refrigerate, tightly covered. Feta Garlic Dressing will stay fresh for three or four days. If the dressing separates, simply reblend it.

Makes about 3 1/2 cups
Best Blogger Tips

11 comments:

  1. That dressing sounds wonderful! A great idea! Perfect with summery salads...

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  2. AnonymousMay 25, 2009

    Simple and tasty salad. How are you Val?
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aaaahhh, after such a long cold winter I totally understand that rush!!!! I love buying to local farmers but I'm never there at 8:00, call me lazy ;D

    Zucchini flowers is something I don't find here... I have to go to the central Market in Barcelona.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I will not call you crazy on that one Val I'll just say That's just like me!
    Moosewood just never fails do it.
    Haven't tried this salad dressing but think I must now soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmm I often cook out of the Moosewood cookbooks. I haven't seen this recipe before though! Sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I own couple Moosewood cookbooks. I did not see this recipe. Looks so good Val.

    ReplyDelete
  7. AnonymousMay 25, 2009

    Delicious dressing with feta!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm like Nuria...def a sleep in before I head to my market (when I get the chance to go there!)...this is such a nice dressing...perfect for a crisp, fresh, salad...Oh! and if you get some of those zucchini flowers, I'd love to see what yo do with them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am always on the lookout for new salad dressings and this one is going on the list for sure!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't thought of my Moosewood cookbooks in a long time. Your dressing with the feta and buttermilk sounds delicious.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  11. I must look up the Moosewood cookbooks on Amazon val. That salad dressing sounds wonderful with the feta.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my home. Thank you for choosing to stay a while and for sharing our lives through food. I appreciate all your support, comments, suggestions, and daily encouragement.

Val

This blog uses comment moderation therefore SPAMMERS, SELF-PROMOTERS and ADVERTISERS will be deleted.