22 May 2009

Life at Quail's Hollow Really is the Life with Lemony Chicken
























For those of you who frequent my blog you know that I try never to miss the Taste & Create event which gets bigger and bigger each and every month. The event is the brainchild of Nicole over at For the Love of Food . I love to visit her site for all the delicious recipes and tidbits of very helpful information. She even has an on-line store with wonderful kitchen gadgets and gourmet foods. Each and every month we are paired with another foodie and prepare a dish from their site for the event. I love this idea so I can showcase someone else's talents and have the pleasure of creating something delicious as well.

This month for T & C I was paired with Susan at Life at Quail's Hollow. Quail's Hollow sounds like somewhere I would just love to live. I do love condo living for the advantages I see there but I sometimes long for my gardens and a few goats on a few acres in the country, preferably in a country where it stays warm all year round:D

Susan says, "I will always be a Georgia girl. My grandmothers and mother taught me the "Life" and I am living it at Quail Hollow, my little taste of heaven. My "Life" is centered around gardening, cooking, and sharing Quail Hollow with family and friends." I am so happy that she has also decided to share the "Life" with all of us as well.

It was a very hard to choose only one dish from her site. Would I make Alessadras Meatballs from her cooking classes in Italy or Spring Panzanella, or, hows about Sopa de Lima with Farmer's Market Salsa Verde ?

I finally decided upon a chicken dish from Quail's Hollow which she served up with Lemon Braised Artichokes Over Pasta from Michael Chiarello.

For those of you who know me you will know that I was in heaven with this dish!!!! This recipe uses 3 of my favourite things...lemon, chicken and potatoes with a little rosemary thrown in for good measure. I am often asked how to keep fresh herbs...well fresh!!! This comes from Anthony Sedlak who will be my next installment in my Canadian Chef series. "When you get home with your beautiful, fresh and vibrant herbs... don’t wash them—the wetter they are, the quicker they’re going to turn to mush. Take a sheet (or two) of paper towel and wet it under room temperature water. Ring the heck out of it so that it's just barely damp (try not to rip it either). Lay it out and place your bouquet of herbs into the middle. Now, wrap the whole thing up like a big cigar.

Next, take a plastic bag and poke a couple of holes in it, then place your herb bundle right inside. Into the fridge it goes, and you’re good for at least a week."

Keep in mind that some herbs turn "to mush" quicker than others. For example, basil, dill and chives, are not going to be hanging about as long as heartier herbs like rosemary or thyme. I did have a ziplocked bag of fresh basil stay fresh for 2 weeks just sitting on the kitchen counter. I haven't has the same success since , so maybe it depends on exactly how fresh is fresh?

Now on to Susan's recipe...............

**Chicken with Roasted Lemon and Rosemary Sauce**
5 large lemons
Gray salt
6 boneless chicken breast halves, skin on
Freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 1/2 pounds small new potatoes, such as red bliss, halved
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary leaves
2 cups double-strength chicken stock, or 4 cups canned low-salt chicken broth boiled until reduced by half
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, optional
Rosemary sprigs, for garnish

*********************
Preheat the broiler.

Cut a small slice off both ends of each lemon, and then cut in half crosswise. Arrange the lemons, flesh side up, in a flameproof nonreactive baking dish, and season with salt. Broil 6 inches or more from the heat until browned and soft, about 10 minutes. Cool slightly. Squeeze the lemon halves over a sieve suspended over a bowl. Push and stir the pulp through the sieve with a rubber spatula or wooden spoon to get as much juice out as possible. Discard the lemon peels.

Reduce oven temperature to 425 degrees F.

Season chicken with salt and pepper. Heat the olive oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add the chicken, lower the heat to medium, and cook, turning once, until brown on both sides, about 5 minutes. Remove chicken to a plate or baking sheet.

Return the pan to medium-high heat, add the potatoes, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring and tossing, until brown all over, about 10 minutes. Drain off the excess oil. Arrange the chicken breasts on top of the potatoes and place in the oven until potatoes and chicken are cooked through, about 10 to 15 minutes. Remove the chicken to a platter and put the pan with the potatoes over medium-high heat. Toss well so the pan juices are absorbed into the potatoes. Scrape the potatoes out of the pan onto the platter around the chicken.

Return the pan to medium-high heat, add the garlic and rosemary, and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add 1 cup of chicken broth and reserved lemon juice. Stir and scrape up all the browned bits that cling to the bottom and sides of the pan, and then add the remaining 1 cup broth. Bring to a simmer stir in parsley and season to taste with salt and pepper. If the sauce tastes too lemony, stir in the optional butter. Pour the sauce over the chicken and potatoes and serve immediately, garnished with rosemary sprigs.
Best Blogger Tips

19 comments:

  1. Excellent dish! Those potatoes look delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such beautiful color on the potato.
    Wow! with 5 lemons this should be gorgeous lemony chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yummy chicken!!! I love the roasting with the lemon, it'll get all nice and sticky! Thanks for the great tip on herbs. I like Anthony Sedlack ok, I find him bit hard to watch, the same with Anna Olson and Michel Smith, they just give me a really weird vibe, like they're uncomfortable or awkward. I don't know, maybe it's just my perception:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmhhh, what a perfect combination of ingredients! Marvelous!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  5. AnonymousMay 22, 2009

    Roasted lemon and rosemary sauce sounds excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is a very interesting chicken dish... thanks for sharing... :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just happened to stumble across your blog and LOVE it...your recipes look delicious! I can't wait to try some of them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A wonderful dish...the sauce complements both the chicken and the spuds.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds positively divine! I am really enjoying Taste & Create; chicken was my choice this month too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. love those potatoes look delicious Vall! xGloria

    ReplyDelete
  11. You chose a great dish for Taste & Create. Like you I love these three ingredients. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just copied another recipe for lemon chicken from another blogger (http://tinaculbertson.blogspot.com/) I have to try them both!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the look of that chicken and the sauce sounds really yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great and healtly looking dish, Val|!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. this looks like a wonderful dish! Can't wait to make this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, that looks amazing! The potatoes in the lemon rosemary sauce must have been delicious!

    I know exactly what you are saying about having a couple acres in the country... that would be SO awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  17. lemony chicken is actually my favorite chicken flavour - we mainly have it with tomato in deference to my husband who like his greek tomato sauces

    ReplyDelete
  18. Can't go wrong with this one Val...it's delicious beyond words. There's so much fresh flavour in every step.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This looks and sounds just super yummy! I love chicken and I love rosemary sauce so this is just up my street!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my home. Thank you for choosing to stay a while and for sharing our lives through food. I appreciate all your support, comments, suggestions, and daily encouragement.

Val

This blog uses comment moderation therefore SPAMMERS, SELF-PROMOTERS and ADVERTISERS will be deleted.