5 October 2008

Pumpkin Wild Rice Soup with No Croutons Required















Autumn is the perfect time of year!!!It is an inbetween season where it is not really cold and not really warm. The air has that certain woodsy fragrance with a little nip to bite your nose early in the morning and my world is seen through multihued glasses of red and russet. If you haven't already gathered it is THE season and my favourite by far!!!!! I love to bring the warm cozy blankets and sweaters out of hibernation and sit curled up on the couch in front of the fire with a book...or better yet a cookbook.



So in the theme of comfort I am submitting this delicious soup to this months vegetarian blogging event No Croutons Required . The founders of this event are the talented duo Holler of Tinned Tomatoes and fellow Canadian Lisa of Lisa's Kitchen. Each month they are looking for our vegetarian soups or salads
with the theme for this month being HEARTY VEGETARIAN SOUPS. Both of these ladies follow a vegetarian and healthy lifestyle which is evident in each of their feature stories. They have heard me say this before but they are both such sweeties that I have to participate in their event as often as I can...and I will say it again!!

This recipe is based on one I found from Jamie Oliver. He says his inspiration was a cross between Laksa which is a kind of brothy noodle stew made with chicken and coconut milk and Mulligatawny which is made from rice, curry sauce and minced meat. This is a vegetarian event so we will omit the meat. This even goes one step further being Vegan as I mentioned earlier. If you’re feeling a little bit theatrical, like I was, feel free to take the lid off the pumpkin, scoop out the flesh, and serve the soup in the pumpkin shell. Serve the soup in warmed bowls or pour it back into the pumpkin shell. If you’re going to do this, put the pumpkin shell into the oven to warm it through first. It’s a great show-stopper for dinner parties. Finish sprinkled with the coriander leaves, or some extra sliced fresh chili, or grate over some fresh coconut if you have it.

If you don't like overly spicy dishes watch out for the chilies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!







**Pumpkin Wild Rice Soup**

600g/1lb 6oz/2 cups pumpkin puree
1-3 chilies, deseeded and finely sliced (depending on your tastes)
2 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely sliced
2 pieces of fresh ginger, peeled
3 sticks of lemongrass, outer leaves removed
a large handful of cilantro
1 teaspoon five-spice powder (cinnamon, ground pepper, cloves)
1 teaspoon ground cumin
olive oil
1 white onion, peeled and finely sliced
565ml/1 pint/4 cups vegetable stock
100g/1/2 cup basmati rice ( I used wild rice)
1 (400mL) cans coconut milk
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
juice of 1 or 2 limes
1 fresh red chilli, sliced (optional)
fresh coconut, grated (optional)

To make the fragrant soup base chop or run through the food processor the chilies, garlic, ginger, lemongrass, cilantro, five-spice powder and cumin. Remove any stringy bits that may remain in the pulp. Put this fragrant mixture into a pan with a little oil. Add finely sliced onion and cook gently for about 10 minutes to release the flavours. Add the pumpkin and the stock to the pan. Stir frequently.

Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer with the lid on for about 15 minutes. Add the rice and stir well. Continue to simmer with the lid on until the rice is cooked, then remove the lid. Add the coconut milk, stir again, taste and season carefully with salt and pepper. To give it a bit of sharpness add the lime juice - the amount will depend on how juicy your limes are.

Serves 6 - 8

You are reading this post on More Than Burnt Toast at http://morethanburnttoast.blogspot.com. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to the author/owner of More Than Burnt Toast. All rights reserved by Valerie Harrison.
Best Blogger Tips

45 comments:

  1. As we said before this is my favorite season also. This is an interesting soup. I like the picture with the pumpkin. Can't wait to decorate for Halloween.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that photo, Valli! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Coconut milk and pumpkin? Hmmm... INTERESTING!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Val, this dish looks absolutely heavenly. I love pumpkin anything and everything.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've always wanted to serve soup in a gourd!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm making a pumpkin soup tonight, too. This looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm making a pumpkin soup tonight, too. This looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great pic and I'm diggin the exotic twist w/ coconut milk.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds absolutely fabulous - I love the combo of pumpkin and coconut milk and spices - I made a curry dish with some similar flavors the other night!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a gorgeous soup! Flavorful and comforting! Really delightful!

    Cheers and have a nice week,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I can not even begin to say how delicious and beautiful this pumpkin soup looks! What a great idea and the flavors are perfect for Fall! The picture is beautiful too =D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I need to make this...how wonderful it sounds Val and the photo is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. what a great way to celebrate the coming of autumn - i love the look of that soup in its own pot

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love it when bloggers remind me of a foodstuff I haven't used in a while... In this case, thank you for the reminder about wild rice! Sounds like a great combination with the pumpkin soup.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for all your kind comments. The only suggestion I have for this soup is watch what chili peppers you use....spicy but delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. thats a lovely photo! :-) love wild rice in soup.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a wonderful soup, Val and it looks amazing served in the pumpkin!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Mmmmmm... a delicious soup for a delicious season... I love fall too! Last friday I also bought a pumkin and will go through surgery soon ;D

    I'm not a Spice girl... I'd surely be careful with the hot ingredients here. Wonderful pictures Val!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gorgeous soup and it sounds like a fabulous version of pumpkin soup with all of the exotic spices and coconut milk. I'm still itching to make your Georgian bread. It's on the menu for this week.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful! I love that you served it in the pumpkin.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I like what you did with the pumpkin.......looks heavenly.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I too adore my pumpkin soups with a hint of chilli and coconut...the addition of the rice would give this a great added texture. Beautiful pics Val and great presentation!

    ReplyDelete
  23. what we have here is an awesome soup made even better by a stellar presentation. bravo! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. This looks delicious, and what a beautiful presentation!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Fall is my favorite season, too - and this soup looks like the perfect fall soup!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is such a beautiful and festive soup. I love the flavors (mmmm cilantro and coconut). I have always wanted to put soup in a gourd like that. Nice.

    ReplyDelete
  27. That sounds delicious and I agree the presentation is gorgeous! It is no secret that this is my favorite time of the year too! :) I would so love to dig into a bowl of this soup!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Ahhh - looks good...and I love the fact that there are no croutons required!

    -DTW
    www.everydaycookin.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. This sounds so tasty and talk about gorgeous presentation!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love pumpkin soup and this looks so delicious in that round old pumpkin!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. A creamy pumpkin soup is one of the few ways I enjoy pumpkin.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I would love this soup!! And I love chillies!

    ReplyDelete
  33. What a great picture with the pumpkin. My wife loves decorating durnign this time of year.

    I'm going to try and talk her into making the soup...it sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Oh Val WOW just look at that pumpkin full of gorgeous soup!! Stunning entry!!

    Rosie x

    ReplyDelete
  35. I thought I was looking at a cover of Bon Appetit!! What a photo Val!
    And that soup sounds all comfy cozy!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Love the *kick* of this recipe and the fact that you served it in a pumpkin shell versus a bowl. Another great way to embrace fall!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I can't remember ever having pumpkin in a soup. This certainly looks very interesting and love the wild rice in it too. The pumpkin is such a great way of presenting it too. You're ambitious - that pumpkin must have taken you at least an hour to clean out.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Great pictures. I put coconut milk in my pumpkin soup too!

    ReplyDelete
  39. This pumpkin soup sounds really good! I like the flavour combs and the presentation!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Sounds delicious and perfect for Halloween!! Pumpkin with coconut milk and chillies... I love it! :)

    Margot

    ReplyDelete
  41. fantastic! you are inspiring me to get into the full swing of fall....luv the flavors you have incorporated esp. w. cumin + coconut ~

    ReplyDelete
  42. I love this soup Val and your beautiful presentation of it! Perfect fall food in my book. Thank you for submitting it :)

    ReplyDelete
  43. I love how you served the soup in the pumpkin and I really love those strong, eastern flavors. Definitely a very flavorful sounding soup!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Such a nice way to serve the yummy soup! Can imagine how good this must have tasted - coconut milk goes well with pumpkins!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Pumpkin and spices are just made to go together. I love the "heartiness" of this soup as well as the novel way of serving it! Perfect comfort food now that the sun sets at 4 :(

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my home. Thank you for choosing to stay a while and for sharing our lives through food. I appreciate all your support, comments, suggestions, and daily encouragement.

Val

This blog uses comment moderation therefore SPAMMERS, SELF-PROMOTERS and ADVERTISERS will be deleted.