15 August 2008

Mini Greek Meatballs for Taste & Create


For those of you who frequent my blog you know that I never miss the Taste & Create event which gets bigger and better each and every month. It is the brainchild of Nicole (aka Myamii) over at For the Love of Food . I love to visit her site for all the delicious recipes and tidbits of helpful information. She even has an on-line store with wonderful kitchen gadgets and gourmet foods. If you haven't had the chance to visit this very busy woman please take the time...you will be glad you did.

The premise of the Taste & Create event is simple... we are paired with another blogger... we choose a recipe from their delicious posts...we prepare the dish... and then... blog about it. I love this event because I am able to showcase someone else's blog, a favourite dish or just rave about a blogging friend. The blogosphere is filled with delicious recipes that are piling up waiting for me to try. It's time to get some of them out from the blogosphere and into my kitchen!!!! Taste and Create allows me to to do just that each and every month!!! What could be better!



This month I have been paired with CIA from Cooking in an Apron . She lives in the San Francisco area and from browsing her site she loves to bake. She says, "My passion is finding a new recipe, making it, then either dumping it in the garbage or letting the world know what an awesome 'find' I've got! We both probably have the largest collection of cooking magazines on the planet...maybe not...but we love cookbooks and magazines like many of you as well.

CIA made it very difficult to make just one dish from her blog. Since I am trying to avoid too much baking and still have to make the Daring Bakers challenge for this month (which is always something luscious and sweet as well) I opted for a savoury dish from her blog. Should I make:

Greek Meatballs with Tzatziki ,Baked Pesto Chicken ,Chicken Breasts with Mediterranean Stuffing ,Balsamic Chicken ,Fettuccine Chicken Salad, or Potato Pie . Those of you who know me can see the theme here...potatoes...chicken.... I just can't help myself!!!! Is there an AA group for potato and chicken addicts????????

Today it was 36 Celcius so I opted to cook the meatballs in a pan on the barbecue to prevent perspiration...face it it is stinking hot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I cooked them at medium-high using the indirect cooking method on my barbecue which worked out very well. Turkey tends to be dry but these meatballs were very moist and the added bonus was they were very flavourful as well. I will definitely be making this heart-healthy dish again!!!

**Mini Greek Meatballs**
Adapted from Kalyn's Kitchen by CIA
Makes about 24 small meatballs

1 pound ground turkey
1/2 small onion, minced
1/2 cup very finely crumbled feta cheese
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 large egg
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, plus more for baking dish
1 tablespoon dried Greek oregano
4 teaspoon red wine vinegar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
1 teaspoon Greek seasoning

Preheat oven to 400*F.

Grate the onion, then drain if it seems like there is a lot of liquid. Combine all ingredients in a bowl, then use your hands to mix ingredients.

Lightly oil a 9 X 13 baking dish. Shape meat into 1 tablespoon size meatballs and place on baking sheet. Bake 20 minutes, after which time you will see some liquid oozing out. Turn meatballs and bake 10 more minutes. Turn again, and bake 5-10 more minutes, until meatballs are well-browned and cooked through.

Meatballs are delicious served with Tzatziki Sauce

You are reading this post on More Than Burnt Toast at http://morethanburnttoast.blogspot.com. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to the author/owner of More Than Burnt Toast. All rights reserved by Valerie Harrison.
Best Blogger Tips

20 comments:

  1. Your Greek inspired "keftedes" look wonderful Val...especially with that tzatziki sauce!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those meatballs look very tempting! With Tzatziki, they must taste terribly good!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh lordy, these look delicious! My son loves feta cheese, and so these meatballs would make his day! All the flavors here compliment each other. I've never made a meatball that has red wine vinegar in it. Oh, I really want these! This goes on the must try list! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love meatballs. This version looks fantastic. My Mum and Dad are in Greece right now and I want to be there!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. just like we make them here!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Val, those look wonderful!! I love feta on anything :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved your write-up Val...& loved the simplicty of the recipe you chose to make. I wanted to try each one you listed...have bookmarked this post to try at least one soon. Very yummy Val!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those look incredible Val...wonder if they would work with ground beef?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would kill for a plate of those right now, with your creamy tzatziki and some fluffy pita. Yuuuummmm.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Turkey and feta - sounds like a great combination. And topped with Tsatziki sauce! My famill would love these.

    They look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think my sons would enjoy these. Looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Val this is amazing...with the feta and tsatziki...just amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Meatballs: yum. Greek meatballs: double yum. It's a yum-fest all the way, with the tzatziki and the salad.

    We missed the Taste and Create this month, unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Valli, I have a magic lamp waiting to cast a spell on your blog! Do pick it up:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Now this sounds like deja vu. I am sure I have commented on your recipe or maybe was I dreaming? What the heck, if you haven't moderated the other comments what's one more? Lovely recipe sis.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, yes! These look and sound wonderful! I definitely want to try them.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks great, Val! I admit I still tend to be hesitant of ground turkey because of its drying out but these look delicious and moist. And I love the tzatziki on top!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am totally craving these meatballs now Val!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Those meatballs sound really tasty! So many of my favorite flavours. The Tzatziki sauce would be perfect with them.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sounds wonderful...especially with tzatziki sauce on on top. :)

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my home. Thank you for choosing to stay a while and for sharing our lives through food. I appreciate all your support, comments, suggestions, and daily encouragement.

Val

This blog uses comment moderation therefore SPAMMERS, SELF-PROMOTERS and ADVERTISERS will be deleted.