17 August 2008

Is That Vegetarian Caesar Salad?


My new favourite cookbook at the moment is from Anita Stewart the wonder woman of Canadian cuisine. You will see many more recipes from this exceptional Canadian in the months to come but I wanted to begin with this dressing. Can you believe that it is made with tofu which makes for an extremely creamy dressing? Since it is made with tofu does this make it a meal in itself? Nevertheless it is the best caesar dressing I have made in a long time!!!!
Canadians are becoming increasingly aware of the benefits of eating locally produced food for many reasons. It tastes better, it supports the community, and, because it doesn’t need to be shipped long distances, it’s better for the environment. Sometimes, though, eating locally can feel more like a duty than a joy. It doesn’t have to be that way! Anita Stewart's Canada is the definitive cookbook about our country, featuring homegrown ingredients with recipes as diverse as our melting pot of different cultures. From reading your blogs I find that this is the case in all countries....so eat LOCALLY whenever you can!!!!!!!

This recipe from the book comes from Alison Bell who teaches chef training at David Thompson Secondary school in Invermere, British Columbia. She notes that "if the dressing is too acidic for your taste, add a pinch of salt. If you prefer to make a vegan caesar dressing , replace the anchovy with 2 tsp tamari (1o mL) and omit the cheese."

I am submitting this DRESSING recipe to this months fabulous vegetarian blogging event No Croutons Required . The founders of this event are the talented duo Holler of Tinned Tomatoes and fellow Canadian Lisa of Lisa's Kitchen. Each month they are looking for our vegetarian soups or salads with the theme being DRESSINGS for this month. Both of these ladies follow a vegetarian and healthy lifestyle which is evident in each of their feature stories. They have heard me say this before but they are both such sweeties that I have to participate in their event as often as I can!! I think they would enjoy this dressing immensely with the substitution of tamari for the anchovy paste!!!! All you need is a food processor or immersion blender. Toss the dressing with some romaine lettuce greens, garlic croutons (just for the event) and top with more Parmesan cheese.

**New Age Caesar Dressing**

1/4 cup (60 mL) lemon juice
2 tsp (10 mL) grated lemon juice
2 or 3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp (2 mL) red pepper flakes
2 T (30 mL) anchovy paste (or 2 tsp/10 mL tamari)
2 tsp (10 mL) Dijon mustard
8 oz (250 g) silken tofu
1/2 cup (125 mL) cold-pressed soybean oil, sunflower oil or canola oil
1/3 cup (75 mL) freshly grated Parmesan cheese
2 T (30 mL) minced Italian parsley
salt and freshly ground black pepper

*************************
In a food processor, blend the lemon juice, rind, garlic, red pepper flakes, anchovy paste, mustard and tofu until smooth. With motor running, slowly add the soybean oil. Fold in the Parmesan cheese, minced parsley and salt and pepper to taste.
Best Blogger Tips

18 comments:

  1. I was just telling my hubby that I was craving a caesar salad! Wonderful timing! That tofu dressing sounds good, especially with all the lemon, garlic, and red pepper flakes! I think I'd like it both ways ... anchovy paste or tamari! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup - i'd give this a try anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How funny! I posted about a salad with tofu today also - a greek salad! Your dressing sounds delish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Val, are you sure you're not the Bionic Woman in disguise? ;) You've been posting like a maniac! I can't keep up.

    Great recipe for caesar dressing! I'll bet the tofu really does make it super creamy - and much healthier! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks like amazing dressing! I'll have to check out the cookbook, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the vegetarian spin - sans extra heavily laden calories. I usually just pass on the caesar salad - this one I would try.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a lovely alternative Val...I like the idea of the tofu in the dressing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I second what StickyGooeyCreamyChewy says...o boy! Great posts & fast & furious too! Love this dressing; anything veggie is usually my first choice. YUM...I think I can substitute a bit here & there & get to this dressing!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sis, I don't even know what tofu tastes like but I take your word for it that it is good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tofu takes on the flavour of whatever you add to it...by itself it is tasteless.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hmmm.. Interesting! The Lovely Wife just made something using a fermented beancurd sauce - a tad salty but it would probably go well with your Caesar Salad too!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't heard of Anita Stewart! Substituting tamari for anchovies sounds like a great idea though, so does the tofu.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was away for a few days and I came back trying to keep up with all of your wonderful posts. Everythign looks yummy too!

    I can't stand the taste of anchovies, so this ceaser is right up my alley. Alton Brown did a ceasar episode where he said it's the worcestershire sauce and not actually anchovies that are traditionally supposed to give it that flavor, but no one believes me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was away for a few days and I came back trying to keep up with all of your wonderful posts. Everythign looks yummy too!

    I can't stand the taste of anchovies, so this ceaser is right up my alley. Alton Brown did a ceasar episode where he said it's the worcestershire sauce and not actually anchovies that are traditionally supposed to give it that flavor, but no one believes me.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just love the sound of this Val and being veggie even better for me whoohoo... great dressing mmmmm

    Rosie x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Val, I think you are a sweetie too! I always love it when you participate. A very unique dressing this is.

    ReplyDelete
  17. brilliant, and you definitely dont need to add bacon to such a delicious salad

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Val, your idea for substituting anchovies for tamari, may come in useful sometime. I will remember that one and your salad some very droolworthy! Thanks for your lovely words of support too!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my home. Thank you for choosing to stay a while and for sharing our lives through food. I appreciate all your support, comments, suggestions, and daily encouragement.

Val

This blog uses comment moderation therefore SPAMMERS, SELF-PROMOTERS and ADVERTISERS will be deleted.