27 July 2008

Taste of the Mediterranean- Layered Hummus


When it comes to hummus and tzatziki I usually cheat big time and purchase both from a local Greek restaurant here in our area. The Greek House Restaurant sell their products in stores throughout the interior including their lemon potatoes and rice. These dips are great in a pinch, perfect for my lunch wraps and just as good, if not better, than anything I can come up with.

So when I read that Tony Tahhan’s Taste of the Mediterranean event this month was focused on Lebanon... one of my favourite cuisines and Hummus... one of my favorite foods... I knew I was in! This is the recipe I always use for hummus using either dried chickpeas that are soaked overnight and then cooked or canned. I decided to step it up a notch and make a layered dip for a special occasion. So here is what I came up with.
The deadline for submissions was July 15...but if you recall I was busy celebrating at that time as well as working mega hours at the Easter Seal Camp. Tony does such great work with his blog I just wanted to bring his blog and this event to your attention!!!

**Layered Hummus**

2 -1/2 cups canned chickpeas, drained
1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/8 -1/4 cup tahini
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1-2 T olive oil

1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
pinch freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp salt
1/3 cup water

Pesto Layer

1 cup fresh basil leaves
1 T pine nuts toasted
2-3 cloves garlic
¼ cup olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled for topping
*****************
Put 1/2 of the lemon juice and all of the ingredients except the chickpeas into the blender. Blend for 5 seconds. Now add the chick peas and blend on high until your hummus reaches a smooth consistency about 10-15 seconds.

Taste. If the dip is too thick, but you don't want to add the remaining lemon juice, add a little water slowly and blend until it reaches the desired consistency.

In a small blender jar place all the ingredients for the green layer and blend until smooth. Transfer to a small bowl and set aside.

Pour 1/2 of the hummus into a clear serving bowl. Add your green layer and then add remaining hummus. Cover and refrigerate for a few hours before serving. (It can be eaten immediately, but becomes even more flavorful if left to chill well.)

Top with crumbled feta cheese and a drizzle of olive oil before serving. Serve with pita wedges or slices of whole grain breads or crackers.

Serves 6
Best Blogger Tips

33 comments:

  1. AnonymousJuly 27, 2008

    I love the layered approach! And a great idea to present it in a clear bowl, so you can see that nice ribbon of green pesto. Looks and sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My three favourite things, hummus, feta and pesto. Yum, will be bookmarking this one. Love the layering

    ReplyDelete
  3. how nice to hear that you have a local greek restaurant in your neighbourhood -sounds like they do well selling their products to other stores too

    ReplyDelete
  4. How lovely. I love the combo and it makes a beautiful presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks and sounds wonderful, Val! Hummus is a favorite snack around here and we love pesto too. I love how you've combined the two.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmm lovely and now if you could just pass me some pitta bread too, that would be perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is one of the coolest ideas I've seen in a long while.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Val, this looks like a wonderfully tasty treat - gorgeous to taste and gorgeous to look at.

    ReplyDelete
  9. AnonymousJuly 27, 2008

    I love this layered look...it's so beautiful. I too am a big fan of hummus but never thought of this presentation.

    Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooohhhh, I'm in heaven! Layer hummus... Mmmmm... I didn't think anything could be better than hummus, but then you layered it with feta cheeese and pesto - and the world suddenly became a better place! Thank you for the fantastic idea!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Other Greek restaurants should take note here and make their own dips again and even offer "take home" sales.

    Val, this was very creative of you, sounds delish and the three layers give one a good excuse to dip deep!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a tasty and wonderful idea...also very beautiful to look at (not that we want to stare at it!)...great stuff val.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Layered hummus, pesto and feta is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  14. VAll this hummus look so well and yummy!! xxGloria

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks fabulous! Hummus is wonderful but layering it with pesto is a stroke of genius!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can't tell you how much I love hummus. I would inject it into my veins if I could. :0

    ReplyDelete
  17. A great version of that wonderful dish! I love Hummus, so that recipe makes me drool...

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  18. This looks utterly delicious. All my favorite dips in one bowl....

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, I love that layered hummus. I particularly like the purity of the pesto, and I bet it tastes just dreamy with the hummus and feta topping. No time for crackers ... hand me a spoon! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looks wonderful, love the photo!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Heavenly layers Val...beautiful!! Looks so delcious! YUM!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. AnonymousJuly 28, 2008

    This is such a fun twist on a classic . I really like the approach. I get tired of hummus from time to time, and this would be a great way to really liven it up a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  23. what a fantastically delicious idea! this would be perfect for entertaining, but i'd make it just for myself, too. it's lovely. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. This totally rocks, Val!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Do you have a recipe for lemon potatoes? I had some recently and I've been trying to figure out how to make them since.

    ReplyDelete
  26. A layered hummus is just brilliant. Yet another one of your recipes I now mean to try.

    ReplyDelete
  27. That is a gorgeous photo!! Love the layered presentation!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow Val! I've got a lot to learn!!! Your hummus is really Magnificus!!! I love the concept of layers... it makes it even more beautiful to the eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Lebanese is my favority food and this looks so great. I'm making hummus today and I love this idea of layered hummus.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh yes. I have bookmarked this one. I think I'll make it tomorrow. It looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  31. you know i never would've thought of this. i love this idea!!! i'd add a layer of minced greek olives and maybe pine nuts too!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Val, great entry!! Thanks for submitting it! I'm going to have to try the triple layer approach sometime - sounds like it'd be fun for entertaining :)

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my home. Thank you for choosing to stay a while and for sharing our lives through food. I appreciate all your support, comments, suggestions, and daily encouragement.

Val

This blog uses comment moderation therefore SPAMMERS, SELF-PROMOTERS and ADVERTISERS will be deleted.