26 December 2007

My Brother Neil's Shortbread Cookies

Shortbread Cookies
Well the verdict is in....these are the best shortbread cookies I personally have made to date. We love shortbread around here, but it is one of those things that makes me cringe at the mere thought of making it. Usually my shortbread attempts have been frustratingly crumbly messes that I usually just end up plopping into a pan to make old-fashioned Scottish-type shortbread in one piece...and then slice. I have tried to make whipped shortbread and broke my spritz cookie press in the process.



Last year I tasted my brother's shortbread and was motivated to try once more. What I loved about his shortbread was that you rolled it in balls and then flattened it with a fork dipped in sugar. Sounds easy and it was.....

The result was a melt-in-your-mouth shortbread that I have been attempting to make for years. No more frustration for me...YAY!!!

Now...my daughter and I whipped in the flour because it didn't say what to do one way or the other. The shortbread turned out very tender but also spread a little rather than holding it's shape. We thought that maybe if we folded in the flour a bit at a time rather than using the mixer the shortbread would retain that cylindrical shape that my brothers had...but would it be as tender? We will try it again next year when we are on a cookie making spree.

Today is Boxing Day and turkey preparing day. My daughter Erin has made a lovely herb butter for beneath the skin. We have my famous potatoes, gravy and stuffing that will come in a later post...sweet potatoes, asparagus and as requested some spaghetti squash. Bon Appetit!!!


**Neil's Shortbread Cookies**

1 lb butter
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup icing sugar
1 cup cornstarch
1 tablespoon vanilla

Cream butter until light and fluffy. Sift dry ingredients together twice. Add to butter in a few batches; blend until smooth. Stir in vanilla. Refrigerate dough 15 minutes.

Preheat oven to 300F.

Roll dough into 1-inch balls. Place on ungreased cookie sheet; flatten lightly with floured fork. (We dipped our forks in granulated sugar).Chill cookies on parchment paper-lined cookie trays while oven is preheating.

Bake 20 – 30 minutes or until outer edges start to brown slightly.

Makes 4 dozen

You are reading this post on More Than Burnt Toast at http://morethanburnttoast.blogspot.com. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to the author/owner of More Than Burnt Toast. All rights reserved by Valerie Harrison. Best Blogger Tips

7 comments:

  1. I love shortbread too! This does look like a great recipe.
    Merry Christmas to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! These sound wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This shortbread recipe sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shortbreads are still my favourite cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great, the corn starch makes them melted in mouth, I suposed

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm behind in reading blogs, but came across yours via Emiline's. I have friends who live in B.C. that I visit each year. She taught me to make shortbread this way and I love it. You have a beautiful blog. Happy New Year to you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These cookies have disappeared quite quickly...so tender!!! Thak you for all your lovely comments. Happy New Year one and all!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my home. Thank you for choosing to stay a while and for sharing our lives through food. I appreciate all your support, comments, suggestions, and daily encouragement.

Val

This blog uses comment moderation therefore SPAMMERS, SELF-PROMOTERS and ADVERTISERS will be deleted.