12 December 2007

Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes

I joined a hiking club here in the city last night. I do love to walk and definitely need the motivation of walking with a group to forget about the "exercuses" I have for not walking after work. The group walks about 3 times a week even in the winter with the culmination being a major hike on the weekends. I had given up walking for the season as my enjoyment is usually dependant upon the weather. It was an opportunity to meet some new faces and talk about travel and kids. One of the ladies just came back from a hiking trip for 3 weeks in Cuba. I love that country and she has inspired me to add it to my list of places to visit again.

These scalloped potatoes are a favourite of mine and worked well with the tourtiere served on the weekend. Great as leftovers too! Another "ode" to the lovely potato.....for those of you that read my blog on a regular basis you will know that I love potatoes!!! Never met one I didn't like!!

**Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes**

Saute 5 minutes:

1 onion, chopped
4 T. butter

Blend in:

4 T. flour
2 tsp. salt

Add:

½ tsp. dry mustard
½ tsp. paprika
¼ tsp. pepper

Add: 2 cups milk

Cook until thick.

Add: 2 cups or more grated Cheddar cheese and 2 diced pimientos (optional)

Peel and slice 8 medium potatoes and layer in a 9 x 12 inch baking pan. Spoon cheese and onion sauce over top.

8. Bake at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes covered with aluminum foil. Uncover and bake 15 more minutes until golden brown. Best Blogger Tips

9 comments:

  1. Val, I could and I have eaten just scalloped potatoes for dinner...am I wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love scalloped potatoes! Cuba too! I've been three times and whenever the weather is dreary I long to go back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll take potatoes any way, and scalloped is one of my favorite ways!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Val, this recipe looks great and easy,i never made after, but is time to try,

    ReplyDelete
  5. Homemade scalloped potatoes, Mmmmmm
    nothing like it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Scalloped potatoes are great and I away fill up on them when they are a part of the meal.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! Those potatoes look so tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. No you're not wrong Peter!Thanks ever so much guys for commenting!!! Have a wonderful holiday season!!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my home. Thank you for choosing to stay a while and for sharing our lives through food. I appreciate all your support, comments, suggestions, and daily encouragement.

Val

This blog uses comment moderation therefore SPAMMERS, SELF-PROMOTERS and ADVERTISERS will be deleted.