When I had a garden I would plant only 2 zucchini plants and still had plenty to give away. In restaurants they serve up zucchini sticks as an appetizer so I decided to make a version of my own. They are a little addictive with the Chipotle Mayonnaise but it is a great way to eat your veggies. The only downfall is that they are deep fried. I suppose you could brush them with olive oil and bake them and see what happens. I'll let you know!!
**Fried Parmesan Zucchini Sticks**
- 1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoon seasoning salt I use Italian flavoured breadcrumbs so omit the seasoning salt)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced lengthwise , and then into sticks
- 2 eggs, beaten (might need another egg)
- olive oil for frying
1. Heat oil in fry pan.
2. In a plastic bag combine dry breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, flour, garlic powder, seasoned slat and pepper.
3. Dip the zucchini sticks in egg, then shake in the bag with flour/breadcrumbs mixture in the plastic bag. ( I mixed the egg with a little buttermilk that I has in the fridge since it worked so well to adhere the tortilla crust in the previous recipe).
4. Fry zucchini in hot oil until golden brown and crispy, turning occasionally.
5. Drain on paper towels.
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo, seeds removed and roughly chopped (about 2 teaspoons)
- 2 teaspoons adobo sauce
- 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed oregano
Place all ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend on HIGH until smooth, about 30 seconds. Transfer to a clean container and refrigerate until ready to serve.