29 July 2007

Raspberry Chocolate Chip Pancakes

Raspberry Chocolate Chip Pancakes
For every chef and want-to-be chef like myself there is a recipe for pancakes. I have a favourite recipe that I just change up to match my mood or the season. I add fresh blueberries, grated apple, diced peaches, frozen corn...yes corn....try it you might like it. This morning I felt like a raspberry/chocolate combo. Raspberries and chocolate are the perfect marriage of flavours. The unfortunate thing is that I could not possibly polish off this entire plate of pancakes!!Therefore some of the lovely,chocolaty, gooey concoction dripping with maple syrup was left behind on the plate. I did my best....but not good enough....



You can use buttermilk in place of the lemon juice and milk..but I usually use this combination because I never have buttermilk around when the craving hits me.

I have read on people's blogs that they take their food photos in natural light. These pancakes were in the great outdoors!

This is also my entry to Sweetnicks's ARF-Tuesday Roundup. ARF Foods are foods that are rich in antioxidants. You can find Sweetnick's and her talented blog over at http://sweetnicks.blogspot.com So even though we have chocolate these pancakes are still good for you!!!

**Raspberry Chocolate Chip Pancakes**

1 tablespoon juice from 1 lemon
2 cups milk
2 cups unbleached white flour
2 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 large egg
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
1 cup fresh or frozen raspberries
1 - 2 teaspoons vegetable oil

Whisk the lemon juice and milk in a medium bowl or large measuring cup; set aside to thicken while preparing other ingredients. Whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowel to combine.

Whisk the egg and melted butter into the milk until combined. Make a well in centre of the dry ingredients in the bowl; pour int eh milk mixture , and 1/2 cup chocolate chips and whisk very gently until just combined a few lumps should remain). Do not over mix.

Heat a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat for 3 - 5 minutes; add 1 tsp oil and brush to coat the skillet bottom evenly. Pour 1/4 cup batter onto three spots on the skillet; sprinkle with 4 or 5 raspberries over each pancake. Cook the pancakes until large bubbles begin to appear, 1-1/2 - 2 minutes. Using a thin, wide spatula, flip the pancakes and cook until golden brown on second side, 1-1/2 - 2 minutes longer.

Serve immediately, and repeat with the remaining batter, using the remaining vegetable oil if necessary.

Serve with maple syrup or dusted with icing sugar.

You are reading this post on More Than Burnt Toast at http://morethanburnttoast.blogspot.com. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to the author/owner of More Than Burnt Toast. All rights reserved by Valerie Harrison. Best Blogger Tips

4 comments:

  1. This looks delicious! How many pancakes does this recipe yeild?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The recipe makes 8 - 12 pancakes depending on the size. When I have company I always double the recipe. If I have leftovers they are always great for another day!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These looks great. Raspberry and Chocolate were a great idea! We had pancakes on the weekend too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE chocolate chip pancakes. I'll have to try your raspberry chocolate chip version!! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my home. Thank you for choosing to stay a while and for sharing our lives through food. I appreciate all your support, comments, suggestions, and daily encouragement.

Val

This blog uses comment moderation therefore SPAMMERS, SELF-PROMOTERS and ADVERTISERS will be deleted.