My mind is wandering again to Greek mountain hikes and small friendly villages..... Perhaps that is because one of the ladies 5 ladies that was on our 2 week sojourn in Greece is arriving here today!!! She has been driving slowly north from Arizona for the past few weeks. I will get to be a tourist in my own town once again and show her around my neck of the woods. I love having company as well because then I can also make desserts. Wink..wink...
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoon finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 lb skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into 32 bitesize pieces
- 1/2 red onion, cut into 8 pieces (1-inch)
- 1/2 large green bell pepper, cut into 8 pieces (1-inch)
- 8 button mushrooms
- 8 large cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- cooking spray
1. To prepare marinade, combine first 6 ingredients in a large zip-top plastic bag; add chicken. Seal and marinate in refrigerator 3 hours, turning occasionally. prepare grill. Remove chicken from bag, discard marinade. Thread 4 pieces of chicken, 1 piece red onion and bell pepper, 1 mushroom and 1 tomato alternately onto each of 8 (10-inch) skewers. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place kebabs on grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 12 minutes or until chicken is done, turning once.Serve with Tzatziki Sauce.
- 1 cup finely chopped, seeded, peeled cucumber
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (8-oz) carton plain low-fat yogurt
- 1-1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
1. Place cucumber in a colander over a bowl; sprinkle with salt. Toss gently to coat. Cover and chill 1 hour.
2. Rinse with cold water; drain well. Squeeze until barely moist. Spoon yogurt onto several layers of heavy duty paper towels; spread to 1/2-inch thickness. Cover with additional paper towels; let stand 5 minutes. Scrape into bowl using a rubber spatula. Combine cucumber, yogurt, parsley and remaining ingredients in a bowl. Serve with souvlakia.