4 September 2007

Spinach & Red Cabbage Salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette












































We have had a rainy and cold past few days. In the mindset of the moment and season 22C is cold isn't it? When the nights become cooler my mind instantly reverts to cold weather thinking. I unpack all the blankets, clean the fireplace flu and run through all my comfort food recipes in my head. I know that there will be many more warm days left with a beautiful Indian Summer on the way. The farmer's markets are overflowing with autumnal ingredients just waiting to be handpicked and turned into something wonderful!!!This is of course my favourite time of year!!!



If ever there was a most requested recipe of my own; this salad recipe is it. The red cabbage, with the addition of baby spinach, requires a robust flavoured dressing to marry the flavours. I usually use a combination of mesclun greens, baby spinach and fresh pea shoots, which are available in the Spring; throw in some fresh garden tomatoes and some cooked beets (canned or otherwise) and you have a recipe they rave about. Just toss it up and use your own combination of greens. Of course this is fall and pea shoots may not be available, but I can still get them at Quality Greens. This is a dominant dressing so choose vegetables that will stand up.

This photo is taken looking towards Jade Bay on Lake Kalamalka, British Columbia

**Spinach and Red Cabbage Salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette**

Vinaigrette:

1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth (or veggie broth)
1 tablespoon orange juice concentrate, thawed
1-1/2 teaspoon sugar
2 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
1-1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 garlic clove, minced

Salad:

1 cup thinly sliced red cabbage
5 cups mesclun (mixed greens of your choice)
2 cups baby spinach leaves, larger stems removed
1/4 cup green onion, chopped
handful pea shoots
2 small beets, cooked, peeled and sliced thinly

To prepare vianigrette: Combine all ingredients; stir with a whisk.

To prepare salad: Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Just before serving, drizzle with vinaigrette; toss gently to coat.

Serve immediately.

Serves 8

You are reading this post on More Than Burnt Toast at http://morethanburnttoast.blogspot.com. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to the author/owner of More Than Burnt Toast. All rights reserved by Valerie Harrison.
Best Blogger Tips

13 comments:

  1. I do think you have hit some of my favorite ingredients, balsamic, cabbage, mesculn but wow, adding the beets sounds yum! I never think to add beets to my salads. I like sliced beets with thinly sliced onions, a bit of cider vinegar, a little sugar and water. I let them set for a couple of hours and they make a wonderful side dish. I will try them in my salads!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The salad sounds real good. I like your vianigrette too. It is very similar to something I made recently.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pickled beets are on of my childhood favourites Deb. I even put them in this salad. They have clone flavours with the vingar and spices so are very tasty too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lake Kalamalka looks so beautiful. Thanks for this vinaigrette recipe. It will go well with a grilled kangaroo salad because kangaroo meat has a strong flavour and will be able to stand up to the vinaigrette.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good thinking val! Sounds great as ever! Much more exciting than the baked potato I had!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting combo. Would not have thought about these two together.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can see why this salad is your most requested, the dressing alone is tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you TBC!!!I'm sure you loved your salad!!

    Nora...I wonder if kangaroo meat tastes anything like moose, elk or deer. I have had bear meat as well made into sausage.

    I love baked potatoes as well Holler. Just throw some of my famous herbed cheese butter on there!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is really a recipe that I should try. Also I'm like you, I would like to attend every cooking school in the world. Can you share a good experience of yours in a cooking school?

    ReplyDelete
  10. This salad sounds very good, and exciting. This isn't your typical iceberg lettuce salad...thank goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum..you always have good stuff.
    You know..I have been praying for you ...I hate when my kids go away. Even with 8 it is empty nest syndrome everytime. {{{{Valli}}}

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't tried moose, elk, deer or bear, so I wouldn't be able to compare. My partner doesn't like kangaroo so we don't eat it much at home. However, I did purchase some recently which I'm hoping to grill tomorrow (Friday) since we get a public holiday in Sydney due to APEC. Bush has been causing a lot of inconvenience in Sydney!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sounds like a great combination of flavours. I really do love beet salads (you can't beat beet!)

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my home. Thank you for choosing to stay a while and for sharing our lives through food. I appreciate all your support, comments, suggestions, and daily encouragement.

Val

This blog uses comment moderation therefore SPAMMERS, SELF-PROMOTERS and ADVERTISERS will be deleted.