2 October 2013

Butternut Squash and Provolone Bread Pudding

Butternut Squash and Provolone Bread Pudding
In a few short weeks here in Canada is the Thanksgiving long weekend. Traditionally it is a time to celebrate and get together with family and friends and be thankful for small blessings. What you give thanks for is an individual thing. I am grateful that I have done all that I can to guide my daughter in spreading her wings and become the beautiful woman she is today. She is loving, kind and considerate of others.  I am thankful that L'il Burnt Toast is engaged to a wonderful, kind- hearted guy and that she is realizing her educational dreams. She is attending university to become a dietician so has plenty to teach her mom as well. I am thankful for my group of friends who are kindred spirits and put up with my endless talk about food and don't mind me taking many, many photos of the same thing.

My own family lives on the other side of the country, so, we have always created our own Thanksgiving traditions. Over the years I have given up spending days preparing a lavish meal of turkey and fixings to create a more simplified, relaxed and enjoyable meal. I know it's not the same, but this cook thoroughly enjoys this family tradition!!! Now don't get me wrong, I love to cook a juicy aromatic turkey and all the fixings, but, it is the same amount of work for just a few people as it is for a crowd.

But what if you have fewer guests and you want to go hiking instead of spending all day in the kitchen? This savoury bread pudding fits the bill perfectly for a more light hearted meal. It could replace your traditional stuffing or be the perfect dish for your vegetarian guests whether you have a lavish meal over the holidays or not. I served it as a side this time around. Shallots, provolone cheese, and a rosemary foccacia caramelize in the oven and get a boost from a powerhouse green such as kale. 

To all my Canadian friends I hope you survive Thanksgiving with your belt buckles intact and retain the warm glow that comes from being thankful for all that we have...family, friends and a table groaning with awe inspiring dishes. Here in the Okanagan Valley October means the Canada Geese take over the beaches, the wine harvest and wine festival are in full swing, and apples and pumpkins overtake the farmers market. Be thank for for all the blessings in our lives and get more squash into your kitchen.



**Butternut Squash and Provolone Bread Pudding**

1 pound peeled seeded butternut squash, cut into 1-inch cubes (about 3 cups)
2 tablespoon olive oil, divided
1/2 teaspoon coarse kosher salt plus additional for sprinkling
3 large eggs
1 1/4 cups half and half
3 tablespoons dry white wine
3/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 day-old baguette (do not remove crust), torn into 1-inch pieces (about 5 cups) (I used rosemary foccacia)
1/2 cup chopped shallots (about 2 large)
1 bunch Tuscan kale, ribs removed, kale coarsely chopped
4 ounces Provolone, coarsely grated

Preheat oven to 400°F. Toss squash with 1 tablespoon oil on rimmed baking sheet. Sprinkle with coarse salt; bake until squash is tender, turning with spatula occasionally, 20 to 25 minutes.

Whisk eggs in large bowl. Add half and half, wine, mustard, and 1/2  teaspoon coarse salt; whisk to blend. Add baguette pieces; fold gently into egg mixture. Let soak 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoons oil in large pot over medium-high heat. Add shallots and sauté until soft, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes. Add kale; cover and cook 2 minutes. Uncover and stir until kale is wilted but still bright green, about 5 minutes (kale will be a bit crunchy).

Reduce oven temperature to 350°F. Generously butter 8x9x2-inch baking dish. Add roasted squash to bread mixture. Using slotted spoon, transfer half of bread from egg mixture to prepared baking dish, arranging to cover most of dish. Spoon half of kale over bread. Sprinkle with half of cheese. Repeat with remaining bread, kale, and cheese. Pour remaining egg mixture over bread pudding.

Cover bread pudding with foil. Bake 20 minutes. Remove foil; bake uncovered until custard is set and bread feels springy to touch, about 20 minutes longer.

Preheat broiler; broil pudding until cheese browns slightly, about 2 minutes. Cool 5 minutes and serve.


You are reading this post on More Than Burnt Toast at http://morethanburnttoast.blogspot.com. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to the author/owner of More Than Burnt Toast. All rights reserved by Valerie Harrison. Best Blogger Tips

19 comments:

  1. aah Val Look really delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your savory bread pudding- It would be a wonderful addition to any Thanksgiving table. I think it would also make a wonderful brunch dish. The idea of a stress-free Thanksgiving dinner sounds marvelous to me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A wonderful pudding! Very flavorful and colorful. I love to cook with Provolone.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a stunning idea... i love the idea of a savoury bread pudding and this looks so enticing... beautifully shot too (as always ) x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your style of Thanksgiving really appeals to me and so does that fabulous butternut squash pudding. It's hard to believe how time has flown this year.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, I really must make this dish soon - sounds and looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You can be thankful for all that your daughter is, but don't forget, you played a big part in that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm smitten with this savory bread, it's simply perfect for my vegetarian diet. May you and your family have a happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love having bread pudding as kind of a make-ahead meal! And I especially love that this has butternut squash in it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this recipe and am definitely bookmarking it to try -- and I love the paragraph that began "To all my Canadian friends". Every.single.word.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Joan. We should be happy, content and thankful every day but Thanksgiving brings it front and centre.

      Delete
  11. excellent color combination in this sturdy and savory bread pudding, val!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love savoury bread pudding, what a great pre-Thanksgiving recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Now this is my kind of bread pudding.
    Very creative Val.
    Normally I hate bread pudding, but a savory version?
    Hello!

    ReplyDelete
  14. girlfriend. I looooove this. anything with butternut squash makes me sing. i hope you enjoy a lovely Thanksgiving. Thank goodness we're still over a month away! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Val - I'm just starting to think about this year's Thanksgiving menu - and bingo! This is fabulous. I am seriously considering adding this dish if not for dinner, then for our brunch the next day. Thank you for the inspiration.
    LL

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm always looking for new butternut squash recipes - and this looks delicious!
    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Val, sounds like a good brunch dish. Especially with all the leftover pumpkin I'll have on hand.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great sounding a looking dish!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my home. Thank you for choosing to stay a while and for sharing our lives through food. I appreciate all your support, comments, suggestions, and daily encouragement.

Val

This blog uses comment moderation therefore SPAMMERS, SELF-PROMOTERS and ADVERTISERS will be deleted.