18 September 2013

Heirloom Tomato Salad with Basil and Burrata

Heirloom Tomato Salad with Basil and Burrata
If you have never tried nor heard of burrata, you are in for a treat. Originating in Italy in Puglia, burrata is a fresh cheese that is closely related to mozzarella. To make it, a piece of newly formed mozzarella is stretched into a flat sheet and used to form a pouch. It is then filled with fresh cheese curds, “topped off” with heavy cream, and sealed. The result is about as rich a cheese as one could ever imagine.

Indigo Rose Heirloom tomatoes
For those of you who follow these pages you will know that working 6 days a week does not stop More Than Burnt Toast from having fun and enjoying all that the valley has to offer. On my recent day off I ventured down to the Penticton Farmer market. I found these special "Indigo Rose" heirloom tomatoes at the Penticton Farmers market and had to make something special to highlight their sundrenched flavour. Enter burrata and fresh basil for a simple and yet satisfying salad. A boost from a light balsamic dressing that compliments the delicate flavour of the tomatoes and creamy burrata and you will be in heaven. Of course if you do not come across burrata you can substitute fresh mozzarella. On another note this salad is perfect with pasta too.
Penticton Farmers Market
I can most often find burrata on my weekly journey to my hometown "foodie mecca" our local Italian grocers. This past year Valaroso expanded and upgraded and along with that they introduced whole new lines of pastas, sauces, and ingredients that leave me weak in the knees. When I am searching for fresh ricotta, morel mushrooms or figs this is my "go to" place to find those longed for ingredients to add excitement to my dining room table. Italians are known for taking ‘simple’ dishes and basic ingredients to the height of perfection. Please check out my other tomato recipes before these harbingers of summer are gone for the season.
Penticton Farmers Market

**Heirloom Tomato Salad with Basil and Burrata**

2-3 pounds heirloom tomatoes, sliced and chopped to your liking
Fresh spinach, a few handfuls
8 ounces fresh Burrata cheese, sliced and torn (as best as you can) into several bite-size pieces
Fresh basil leaves

Dressing:

1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
3 tablespoons olive oil

1 sprig of fresh thyme leaves 
1 very small clove garlic, chopped finely
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper


Prepare dressing by whisking all the ingredients together until blended. 

Toss with tomatoes. Cover and let sit at room temperature for about 30-40 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Once you are ready to serve, layer the spinach onto a serving platter or individual plates.

Arrange the tomato mixture on top of the spinach and evenly distribute the burrata over the tomatoes.

Garnish with fresh basil and season with sea salt and pepper.  Grab a glass of wine, and enjoy this simple salad.


You are reading this post on More Than Burnt Toast at http://morethanburnttoast.blogspot.com. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to the author/owner of More Than Burnt Toast. All rights reserved by Valerie Harrison. Best Blogger Tips

26 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, Val, those are all my favourite ingredients. How beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so fortunate to have such a wonderful Italian grocer locally. Love all your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look delicious I love basil!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh burrata! A treat indeed :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. A beautiful market. That is one mouthwatering salad.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a nice market and wow, you still have pretty heirloom tomatoes. And baby ones to boot.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  7. Es sencillamente deliciosa, me encanta este tipo de platos, los tomarĂ­a siempre!

    ReplyDelete
  8. burrata is my favorite cheese! But I'm not sure they fill it with heavy cream locally. The inside isn't liquid, more of a ricotta texture.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm going to be on the look out for burrata. I've heard of it but have not had it nor seen it. With so many Italian markets in the Chicago area, it has to be available. I've been calling those plum heirloom tomatoes but like the real name much better.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is the right way to eat burrata: fresh and accompanied with uncooked veggies. The combo burrata/heirloom tomato is also very easy to the eyes! Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful salad, love all the freshness!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I tried buratta for the first time this year and now I'm addicted. This salad looks glorious and I can just taste those incredible tomatoes. Plenty of salt for me too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love these colorful delicious pictorail posts:)
    The thyme..must be a refreshing change to basil:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beatiful! I am totally addicted to Burrata, unfortunately, it's not super easy to find around here. Makes it a real treat though when I do get my hands on it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Burrata is my favorite! I kind of want to inhale this.

    ReplyDelete
  16. So gorgeous and inspiring, Val! :-) I will be looking for Burrata next time I'm at the Italian deli. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for posting about the Penticton Farmer's Market. I hadn't heard much about it in the 18 years I've been in Kelowna but recently I've heard some marvellous things. Looking forward to checking it out soon.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I was hoping to get one more tomato salad and one more peach pie in before summer left us.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a marvelous farmer's market, Val!
    Burrata is delicious....I made a similar salad with it last Christmas and it was such fun to have everyone ask what kind of cheese it was. Not one person knew!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I should buy Burrata because that look good in your salad. Nice pictures Val. Have a great w-end!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great salad and farmer's market also. I will be making this soon while there are still good tomatoes at our farmer's market. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have never tried burrata and have looked for it at the farmer's market with no luck. It might be one of those things that I will have to wait until I'm in Chicago next time to try. I love the beautiful Italian markets there. Great photos, Val.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Those tomatoes are GORGEOUS! That's truly the sign of a real foodie, working 6 days a week and still having time to check out the food scene. Love your salad, it looks mouth wateringly delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your dedication to the craft is admirable. I had such a busy week last week and made nothing in my own kitchen! I haven't seen the inside of a supermarket let alone a farmer's market this week. I am humbled!

    Good for you making the best of the end of tomato season. I was at a farm stand yesterday and the local tomato bins were almost empty with a few rapidly-softening tomatoes in the mix. They said they were the last of the seasonal tomatoes. These end-of-year tomatoes are the best for making sauce, so I'm doing a nice, saucy chicken dish this week.

    I have had burratta a few times when I can get it. I have often found it disappointingly sharp. Or maybe I'm a little weireded me out by the liquid center. I had been so excited to try it, but once I did, I think it just wasn't' my thing. Just give me a soft ball of freshly-made mozzarella.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our season is not quite over yet, but it is more likely that we will find pumpkin, squash and apples at the farmer markets.I would love to try burrata at the source.

      Delete
  25. It doesn't get any better then burrata and heirlooms! I could eat it 7 days a week! :)
    www.prettybitchescancooktoo.com

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my home. Thank you for choosing to stay a while and for sharing our lives through food. I appreciate all your support, comments, suggestions, and daily encouragement.

Val

This blog uses comment moderation therefore SPAMMERS, SELF-PROMOTERS and ADVERTISERS will be deleted.