27 February 2013

Pining for Spring with Garlic Soup Provencal

Garlic Soup Provencal

Fresh plucked garden greens or the sweet juiciness of a sun-warmed strawberry are still far in the future. By the end of March I will be enjoying the pop of fresh garden peas and the perfume of chervil and fresh mint spilling out from baskets at our local farmers markets. Until then I am holding on dearly to the last of winter and utilizing what we have on hand. Spring is in the air, the sun is shining...but not quite yet.

Winter cooking is always a challenge. Cooking locally and seasonally when markets are teeming with piles of heirloom tomatoes and bushels of luscious peaches is a breeze. But what happens when markets close completely? There are plenty of greenhouses that supply us with the tastes of summer, a myriad of lettuces, eggplants, cucumbers, fresh herbs and even tasty tomatoes. Mix those with tubers and a variety of winter squashes and winter has seemed almost bearable. This time of year it is really hard to be patient even if I know Spring is almost here...but not quite yet.


_____________________________________________

“... one of the pleasantest of all emotions is to know that I, 
 with my brain and my hands, have nourished my beloved few, 
that I have concocted a stew or a story,
 a rarity or a plain dish,
 to sustain them truly against the hungers of the world.” 
― M.F.K. FisherThe Gastronomical Me
___________________________________________________ 

The best way to keep our winter cooking interesting has been to find new ways of preparing what we have available, so what better time to cook up those recipes we’ve been meaning to try? Winter means comfort food. Comfort food means soup. 

For as long as I can remember our kitchen where I grew up always had a heavy pot simmering away on the stove. It is not uncommon this time of year for my own home to be filled with warm, fragrant and earthy aromas of a slow cooked roast or a bubbling crock pot, but, there is absolutely NOTHING on the planet as comforting to me as a delicious, homemade soup. There's something very satisfying about making this from scratch in your own kitchen from start to finish; and using up all those bits and pieces in the refrigerator. On an inbetween day like today a steaming bowl of soup "sticks to the ribs" and supplies that sense of fullness and satisfaction. 

The rich roasted flavours and warming textures of this soup evoke memories of pure happiness. Earthy and soul satisfying it’s very much peasant food, created from very simple ingredients. Two heads of garlic, onion, and sage are roasted in the oven. The whole is greater than the sum of its parts. The aroma coming from the kitchen will make you ravenous. Add some oozy, gooey grilled sandwiches with the nutty flavour of Oka or Gruyere cheese, a lovely frisée salad, and a bottle of chilled light white wine and you will have what to me is THE perfect meal. This old Provençal recipe has been considered a healing, restorative soup for generations with complex curative properties. It is a good soup to cure a hangover, or when you’re feeling a cold coming on. The perfect cure, but why wait till then and enjoy a steaming bowl now.

**Garlic Soup Provencal**

2 garlic bulbs, cloves separated (about 40), plus 2 cloves, thinly sliced

1 large russet potato (about 12 ounces), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 large yellow onion (about 12 ounces), trimmed, peeled, and cut into six-inch wedges
4 fresh sage leaves
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus 1 1/2 teaspoons
1 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
Freshly ground pepper
1/3 cup good quality dry sherry, vermouth or sake (you could also substitute very dry white wine)
3 1/2 cups homemade or low-sodium store-bought chicken stock
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
snipped fresh chives, for garnish

Preheat oven to 400F. Toss whole garlic cloves, potato, onion, sage, 1 tablespoon oil, 1 teaspoon salt, and a pinch of pepper in a large ovenproof roasting dish. Cover, and transfer to oven. Roast, stirring occasionally, 30 minutes.

Remove dish from oven, and stir in 1/3 cup water. Cover, and return to oven; roast until potato is deep golden brown and garlic and onion are very soft, about 20 minutes. Remove garlic cloves an transfer cloves to a plate, and let cool slightly. Squeeze garlic from skins into skillet; discard skins.

Place roasting pan over medium-high heat  Add sherry, and cook, stirring to scrape up browned bits, 1 minute. Add stock and 1/2 cup water, and bring to a simmer. Remove from heat, and let cool slightly.

Puree vegetable mixture in a blender in batches. Press through a fine sieve into a medium saucepan. Heat over low heat; stir in lemon juice, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.

Divide soup among 6 bowls, and garnish with chives.

You are reading this post on More Than Burnt Toast at http://morethanburnttoast.blogspot.com. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to the author/owner of More Than Burnt Toast. All rights reserved by Valerie Harrison. Best Blogger Tips

25 comments:

  1. Remember your winter is almost finish. Love the soup, we love garlic, looks fantastic and lovely pic

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love winter vegetables. They are so delicious and versatile.

    This soup is wonderful! I cannot resist garlicky dishes.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  3. We do have a snow storm today. Big pot of soup is always good during a day like this one. That Garlic Soup is surely a great one to make.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all things garlic and all things soup...so this sounds lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm here! :)

    And happy to see your delicious soup. This is very similar to the Spanish Ajo Blanco soup which is served chilled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, you can comment again. I have read about the Spanish soup. There is also Aigo Bouido from Provence that includes eggs.I want to make them all.

      Delete
  6. What a delicious way to keep the vampires at bay!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this soup, Val. :-) I'm not doing so well today, and anything warming and nourishing sounds like pure heaven. :-) I love that MKF quote too. So much. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I dearly love a pot of homemade soup. I don't care if it's summer or winter, either. I love all the flavor notes, here including the sage. I love braised dinners, but I admit that I am looking forward to spring/summer garden veggies and more grilling weather.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Divine! Zach makes a great roasted garlic soup whenever we need restoring in the winter - I know we will love this recipe...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks tasty. Keep thinking positive. The official start of spring is less than a month away.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, you've got me wanting to make soup, Garlic Soup Provencal to be precise! Your description is very delicious and enticing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely soup. The melding of those flavors can't help but produce something delicious. I'd love a cup of your soup. Have a great day, Val. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  13. Soup is always welcome on my table and I love your presentation Val.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  14. vampires, beware! this sounds really delicious, val, and worth every minute of garlic breath. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful soup to go with the perfect meal. A lovely garlic soup like this could help to keep all kinds of ailments at bay! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so glad you posted this soup recipe...I love garlic soup and haven't had it in ages.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have a sudden craving for this soup and it's only 8:00 am! It looks and sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds delicious. And what an absolutely charming presentation Val!
    LL

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love garlic so this garlic soup is awesome Val:)))

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am feeling the hunger pangs for spring. Looking forward to the Farmers' markets too!

    Murissa

    ReplyDelete
  21. I haven't had garlic soup in ages. I love garlic soup. It's so creamy and comforting.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Peas and fresh herbs in March? I am jealous. I'd be luck to any of that until early July here.

    This soup looks brilliant! There used to be a restaurant in town which served an amazing garlic soup. I would order it whenever I went. It closed a few years ago and I hadn't realized how much I missed the soup until I saw your post.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I know when cooked it should be milder, but the thought of all that garlic.......

    I really just have to bite the bullet sometime and try it for myself.

    Love the presentation Val :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love the soup and the quote from MFK Fisher!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my home. Thank you for choosing to stay a while and for sharing our lives through food. I appreciate all your support, comments, suggestions, and daily encouragement.

Val

This blog uses comment moderation therefore SPAMMERS, SELF-PROMOTERS and ADVERTISERS will be deleted.