31 January 2013

Celebrate World Nutella Day with Nutella Swirl Banana Bread and Nutella Hot Chocolate with Hazelnut Liqueur

Nutella Swirl Banana Bread and Nutella Hot Chocolate with Hazelnut Liqueur

The world has stopped and turned its attention to an exciting, momentous event that happens only once a year. No, not the Super Bowl or even our blog birthday, but, it is World Nutella Day! A day that outshines all of the above. February 5th was dubbed World Nutella Day back in 2007. This was the brainchild of Sara from Ms. Adventures in Italy and Michelle from Bleeding Espresso. Once again they solemnly declare February 5th “World Nutella Day 2012″ which is a day to celebrate, to get creative with, and most importantly, to EAT Nutella. Resistance is futile!!


As we all know Nutella is that hazelnut spread that we longed for as children, smeared onto warm bread fresh from the oven or inbetween crepes with strawberries or bananas. Even as an adult a spoonful of this chocolate-hazelnut spread gianduja is delicious enough straight off the spoon!!!! Think Ferrero Rocher!!!! Nutella is the brand name of this hazelnut-based sweet spread created by the Italian company Ferrero in the 1940s. At the time, chocolate was very limited due to World War II and this innovative company had the answer.  Nutella is now marketed in over 75 countries across the globe. Other countries even have their own versions of this spread. 

Speaking for Nutella lovers everywhere I can tell you it's a blend of hazelnuts and chocolate that's been ground to a blissfully smooth, creamy and heavenly spread...is that a choir of angels I hear? When spread onto a slice of bread, or smeared over crepes or waffles, it's a simple snack that is even vaguely good for you. Maybe it's the idea of spreadable chocolate, or maybe it's the deeply satisfying combination of chocolate and hazelnuts, but there's something about Nutella that inspires devotion from the masses.

In my well-stocked pantry I had everything I needed to recreate something decadent and yet simple to celebrate the day. This was a banana loaf with a delicate crumb and moist texture that I was lucky enough to find over at Sugar Plum. I cannot take credit for its addictiveness. I had bananas, I had Nutella, I had time in the kitchen, I wanted to celebrate. But the best thing about this banana bread was the Nutella Hot Chocolate served with hazelnut liqueur and whipped cream. I closed my eyes and forgot about anything else other than this moment.

**Nutella Swirl Banana Bread**

2 1/3 cups all purpose flour 
1 teaspoon baking powder 
1 teaspoon baking soda 
1/2 teaspoon salt 
1 1/4 cups mashed ripe banana 
6 tablespoons (1/4 cup +2 tablespoons) unsalted butter, softened 
1/2 cup granulated sugar 
1/2 cup packed brown sugar 
1 teaspoon vanilla extract 
2 large eggs 
1/2 cup Nutella 

Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 9-inch loaf pan with cooking spray. 

In a medium mixing bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. 

In a large mixing bowl, using a mixer on medium speed, beat together banana, butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla until creamy and well combined - about 2 minutes. Beat in eggs until well combined - about 2 minutes. Reduce mixer speed to low and beat in flour mixture until just combined. Divide 1/2 of of the batter into a medium bowl; stir in Nutella until combined. 

Alternate spoonfuls of batter into loaf pan until all of the batter is used up. Swirl batter gently with a knife (not too much!). Bake 1 hour or until well risen, deep golden brown, and a toothpick inserted into bread comes out with moist crumbs attached. 


Makes 1 loaf

**Nutella Hot Chocolate with Hazelnut Liqueur**

1 cup milk
2 tablespoons Nutella

1 tablespoon hazelnut liqueur, such as Frangelico (optional)

Whipped cream, for serving

Heat milk in a small saucepan over medium heat until just beginning to bubble at the edges, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in remaining ingredients until smooth. Top with whipped cream to serve. Sprinkle with saved chocolate if desired.

You are reading this post on More Than Burnt Toast at http://morethanburnttoast.blogspot.com. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to the author and or owner of More Than Burnt Toast. All rights reserved by Valerie Harrison. Best Blogger Tips

18 comments:

  1. A perfect teatime treat!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love a slice of this bread right now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't believe we never thought of putting Nutella in hot chocolate. That's a nice layer of depth. It would be hard to stop at one cup!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good thing you reminded me that World Nutella Day was coming. What if I had forgotten?

    Will take all of this please! Nutella and banana bread, Nutella and Frangelico. That all makes me happy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. absolutely delicious Val!xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. That banana swirl bread is brilliant! But then again, so is the hot chocolate. I love Frangelico. I think this would be the ultimate breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I care infinitely more about world nutella day than I do the superbowl! Love this post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. World Nutella Day...oh my, how wonderful. I will thoroughly celebrate.
    The bread looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow – these look awesome! Being a fan and mom to nutella lover myself, I think it is a requirement that we all need nutella in any form…it’s genetics or something

    ReplyDelete
  10. These would be perfect for me instead of roses and chocolate. Valentine’s Day is overrated!so is Red only in desserts. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for reminding me that world nutella day is coming soon! This looks so yum!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This hot chocolate seems almost too easy for words.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's so cold right now, a mug of that Nutella Hot Chocolate would be perfect- especially with a slice of that gorgeous bread! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely swirly bread, and my favourite flavours too.
    I am making some cookies for Nutella day,must get a wriggle on!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I missed world nutella day?? Noooooooooo. I think I will have to make one of these recipes asap to make up for it. Seriously, these sound AMAZING. My dad is from Greece so we always had nutella around the house growing up, so I have a lifelong appreciation for that special gem of a spread. So good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. i love the look of a marbled bread and know that part of that marble involves nutella makes it even more appealing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh yes please Val! I can't believe I missed it this year. Could I still have the cake and liquer

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am SO glad that you posted this Nutella Day announcement which has served me as a reminder! The bread must be heavenly!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my home. Thank you for choosing to stay a while and for sharing our lives through food. I appreciate all your support, comments, suggestions, and daily encouragement.

Val

This blog uses comment moderation therefore SPAMMERS, SELF-PROMOTERS and ADVERTISERS will be deleted.