6 January 2013

Ringing in the Week With Apple Crisp for Slow Sundays

Apple Crisp with Vanilla Yogurt

Welcome back to my kitchen my friends where I indulge my culinary cravings and experiment to my hearts content. This is the first breakfast of a new year where we continue to embrace our  S-l-o-w Sunday feature for another year here at More Than Burnt Toast. Pull up a cozy chair and join me a while. Let me make you a steaming mug of chai tea or your favourite "joe" and a memorable breakfast just as you like it. 

Whenever the mood hits us we will highlight breakfast and brunch ideas that allow us to explore all that a leisurely morning can offer. In my home Sunday is the day for putting my feet up. No matter which 
S-l-o-w Day you can manage the day should be s-l-o-w, no rushing around, no big errands, just taking your time and mozying along. My idea of enjoying a Sunday morning is to have a warm cup of tea and a long and lovingly prepared breakfast. Whether I am entertaining family or friends or am going solo breakfast on the weekend is a highlight of the day. Any time spent in the kitchen is time well spent! 

Today I whipped up a batch of apple crisp, that comforting dish that is the culinary equivalent of being wrapped in a warm blanket. In February I will have been blogging here on these pages for 6 years and I can't believe I have never posted this recipe. Apple crisp is usually delegated to dessert, but, I love to serve it with a dollop of Greek yogurt which disguises it as a breakfast dish. It does have oats in the topping after all.

**Apple Crisp**
adapted from Ina Garten


  • 5 pounds McIntosh or Macoun apples
  • Grated zest of 1 orange
  • Grated zest of 1 lemon
  • 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
  • 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg

For the topping:


  • 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1 cup oatmeal
  • 1/2 pound cold unsalted butter, diced
  • Greek yogurt (vanilla flavoured)
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 9 by 14 by 2-inch oval baking dish.
Peel, core, and cut the apples into large wedges. Combine the apples with the zests, juices, sugar, and spices. Pour into the dish.
To make the topping, combine the flour, sugars, salt, and oatmeal. With a box grater grate the cold butter into the bowl. Mix with a wooden spoon. Scatter topping evenly over the apples.
Place the crisp on a sheet pan and bake for 1 hour until the top is brown and the apples are bubbly. 

Serve warm with a dollop of Greek yogurt. I really like vanilla yogurt for this.


You are reading this post on More Than Burnt Toast at http://morethanburnttoast.blogspot.com. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to the author and or owner of More Than Burnt Toast. All rights reserved by Valerie Harrison.
Best Blogger Tips

18 comments:

  1. A great Sunday treat! Crips are so delicious.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never added zests:-)
    Great idea..I love crisps too--

    ReplyDelete
  3. deliciously done looks wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  4. A perfect day for apple crisp! This looks so delicious...great comfort food.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Apple crisp is really one of the best desserts ever! Tastes like comfort. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Val, I love the way you're sneaking in something so yummy for breakfast all wrapped in healthy attire! I think your house is my favorite breakfast hangout! I'm crazy about anything "apple", especially with crumbles, YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so right. There is nothing like an apple crisp, Val. What a good girl you are to top with yogurt...we usually use half and half. Great idea to use the citrus.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a breakfast I would love dipping my spoon into.

    ReplyDelete
  9. And am now comforted and warm. This would be a grand dinner for me - too bad the family wants traditional food.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I keep meaning to make an apple crisp in the slow cooker to see, if I can or rather if it will work.
    Have you?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd have to say I have never tried making apple crisp in my slow cooker, or as we always called it a crock pot. It makes the best shredded pork and ribs.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My Sundays are anything but slow, but I think I could get behind getting up extra early to make/eat a breakfast like this.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love slow Sundays and this apple crisp is just what I'm longing for in these cold weather months! Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Apple Crisp for breakfast - YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  15. i've never eaten crisp with a dollop of yogurt--great suggestion!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love this Val, look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a classic, Val! Even the slow peeling of apples is a nice way to spend a morning with that first cup of coffee (or tea!)... nice! And so pretty a presentation!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh wow, I absolutely LOVE the idea of having this for breakfast! I've actually been wishing for a warm oaty and healthy breakfast instead of porridge (I just don't enjoy it!) and this sounds like the perfect fit!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my home. Thank you for choosing to stay a while and for sharing our lives through food. I appreciate all your support, comments, suggestions, and daily encouragement.

Val

This blog uses comment moderation therefore SPAMMERS, SELF-PROMOTERS and ADVERTISERS will be deleted.