21 December 2012

Leftovers Never Tasted So Good with Chocolate Panettone Bombe

Chocolate Panettone Bombe

Dome-shaped golden panettone is that traditional spongey, fruit-studded, sweet Christmas bread that is to an Italian Christmas what fruitcake is to other parts of the world. It may be even more welcome than its much maligned counterpart and in my experience more welcome when gifted. Lavish with golden raisins, citrus peel, eggs and butter, panettone epitomizes the richness and generosity of the season. Panettone originated in Milan, in the north of Italy, but has spread all over the country and around the world. I grew up with fruitcake, and in the old British tradition fruitcake even presented itself at my wedding, but, living in the melting pot of cultures we call Canada I eagerly adopt other traditions. During the holidays, you can't come or go from an Italian home without receiving or giving a panettone. 



As you know I recently spent an extended time in Italy, but, was sad to leave just as the country started to drape itself in holiday finery. How I would have loved to roam the streets of Naples in search of the perfect presepe or taste "the best" panettone which in Italy often holds a DOP status, an official Protected Designation of Origin stamp, which certifies its quality and provenance. After all there is panettone and there is panettone! Once you've tasted a slice of truly wonderful handmade panettone which is slowly-leavened, delicately flavoured and fluffy-as-a-pillow, then and only then, will you know what all the fuss is about. Someday I hope to take the time to make my own which involves having panettone paper crowns and hanging it suspended upside down, but, until then our local Italian grocer has some delicious varieties. This may not be Italy but our local Italians want the best available.


Whether you make your own or have store-bought you may inevitably end up with leftovers. If you are like me you may even buy extra just so that you will always have leftovers and hope that every Italian friend will gift you with a panettone. Over the holidays I like to make panettone bread pudding or perhaps French toast, but several years ago I watched Jamie Oliver create a stunning dessert from leftover panettone and fruit that has cemented itself in my holiday traditions. Just add some vin santo and you will have a dessert that wows your guests with so little effort you won't feel you deserve all the compliments...but accept them anyway!


Vin santo ('Holy Wine') is the name given to the amber-hued dessert wine traditionally from central Italy. There are similar wines made in other Italian wine regions, and the vinsanto I have had on Santorini in Greece is almost identical in both name and style, but the Tuscan hills retain a long-standing connection with these golden, intensely flavoured wines. These "straw wines" are so named because they are traditionally made from grapes left to dry out on straw mats after harvest. The mats are placed in the warmest, driest part of the home (or winery) so the grapes gradually desiccate over the winter. Each drop of wine would be precious! 

A typical vin santo offers aromas of apricots and orange blossom, followed by a caramel, nut and raisin-rich palate with a hint of honey and cream on the finish. What could be more perfect for this decadent dessert bombe. Of course if it is not available you could use a late harvest or even an ice wine available here in Canada.

Whatever you do make this dessert part of your tradition! Bring a piece of Italy home, but twist it into something that your guests will talk about for years to come.


**Chocolate Panettone Bombe**
 by Jamie Oliver 

2 x 500ml tubs of good-quality vanilla ice cream or gelato
1 x 1kg panettone
125ml Vin Santo
3 heaping tablespoons of jam
25g shelled pistachios, crushed
75g of dried sour cherries, roughly chopped (or canned or fresh cherries)
40g glacé clementines (or other glacé fruit), thinly sliced
200g good-quality dark chocolate (70% cocoa solids), broken into pieces
1 clementine orange, zested
Whipping cream, to serve

 Equipment: 2 litre pudding bowl, some plastic wrap , a saucepan and a plate to sit on top of the saucepan. Take the ice-cream out of the freezer so it can soften a little while you get things ready. Line the pudding bowl with 3 layers of plastic wrap. Using a serrated knife, slice four 2cm-thick slices from the panettone, and then cut these slices in half. Line the pudding bowl with 6 of the slices of panettone in a single layer around the bowl, pushing them down so they don’t overlap. As the slices meet in the centre don't be afraid to remove some of thickness of the panettone by pinching it out. Drizzle a little of the Vin Santo over the bread. Place three tablespoons of your chosen jam in a cup with a drop of hot water, and brush the jam over the panettone inside the bowl. Add 1 tub of ice-cream to the bowl, spreading it around to form a thick layer in the bottom of the pudding bowl. Sprinkle in the pistachios, cherries, and fruit. Add the other tub of ice-cream to the pudding bowl to form a last layer. You may need to work quickly so the ice-cream doesn’t melt. Take the remaining slices of panettone and place them on top of the ice-cream to form a lid. Drizzle more Vin Santo over the top, and then cover the bowl tightly with cling film. Press a plate down on top of the panettone and then place the bowl in the freezer – it’s best if you can leave it overnight. When you’re ready to serve, put the broken chocolate pieces in a bowl and set it on top of a saucepan of simmering water, on a really low heat. Just make sure that the bowl doesn’t touch the water. Leave the chocolate to melt while you unwrap the panettone bombe and carefully turn it out onto a serving dish. When the chocolate has melted, stir the zest of the clementine in and spoon the sauce over the top of the up-turned panettone bombe. Slice into generous wedges, and add some whipped cream to each portion to serve.
Merry Christmas! Enjoy!

You are reading this post on More Than Burnt Toast at http://morethanburnttoast.blogspot.com. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to the author and or owner of More Than Burnt Toast. All rights reserved by Valerie Harrison. Best Blogger Tips

29 comments:

  1. A wonderful bombe! Those I talian flavors are just amazing...

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bella!

    I wish you..wondrous holidays..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never really know what to do with panettone but this is such a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is absolutely gorgeous, Val! :-) I've never eaten this before, but it looks and sounds absolutely delicious. Love learning about new Christmas traditions. :-) XO Wishing you an absolutely wonderful holiday, dear Val. XO

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a nice bombe. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Val that looks scrumptious, but once I open up a panettone
    the smell and sweet buttery taste has me ripping pieces off immediately, my husband is worse than me, if I turn my head it might all be gone! If I could hide one I'dlove to try this.
    Merry Christmas Val!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Val! Can't say that panettone does it for me but I really enjoyed reading yr post and looking at the pics!
    I wish you a VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS!!! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I guess I'm just lucky that I've had such good bread -- even store bought; my friends always give me one -- that I never have leftovers. I've even been wanting to make french toast! But since I do like it so much, I should make it myself. Your recipe is bookmarked! And pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow does that look wickedly delicious. I would eat the whole thing myself if I were to make this treat.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love these panettone!!! Val Happy Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This does "do" it for me.

    Val wishing you lost of wonderful things and rememebr if you decide on New York in 2013...I will be waiting....

    ReplyDelete
  12. i guess i don't know enough italians because i've never eaten panettone! gorgeous bombe, val, and happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your blog; perfect to celebrate Christmas. I did make an Italian bombe years ago; we loved it. this one is even better; wow!
    Merry Christmas Val.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've only made the bread once - but now I am re-thinking this for holiday week! It's a beautiful creation! It just incorporates so many Italian flavors - it's almost like being there. Almost.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This bombe is the bomb. What an informative post. I will search out a pannetone this year. Merry Christmas Val.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is beautiful, Val! Vin Santo is delicious and I serve it after dinner with biscotti. It is expensive here and I would have a hard time putting into bakery :)

    Merry Christmas to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Val, this is second Pannetone redo I've read today. Peter stuffed his with ice cream. This looks wonderful too. I like even the bad pannetones. I think sliced, toasted and buttered is a great breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think I might like the leftover version better than the original version!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What an amazing way to use left-over panettone! I love this idea and also your bread pudding idea. i would have never thought to use it for bread pudding but I know that would me fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  20. If there should be any leftover panettone this would be a delicious way to use it. Merry Christmas, Val. I hope you and your family have a wonderful holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is definitely worthy of a feast, Val. It sounds delicious. I hope you have a wonderful holiday. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  22. Visions of sugar plums dance in my head. Merry Christmas my friend. GREG

    ReplyDelete
  23. wishing you and your family all the best for the season - your christmas bombe looks delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  24. The Bombe looks fabulous. We gave mini panettones and vegetables marinated in olive oil as holiday gifts this year.
    Wishing you a wonderful 2013.
    Buon Natale Val!
    LL

    ReplyDelete
  25. It looks amazing!
    I have never heard of a panettone before although I have seen variations before.
    I would love to tour Italy, and all of Europe really, during the holidays! But at least you can create a bit of that feel at home with this delicious bombe!

    Hope you had a merry christmas and happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Isn't Panetone just the best Val? Love, love, love the chocolate icing on top! I've never made panettone, always having bought it, but like you, it is tremendous in a French toast breakfast casserole! The photos of the Napoli presepe are beautiful . . . oh someday! I hope that you had a wonderful Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh my gosh, Val! This looks and sounds delicious. I've never had it and would love to try it. Interesting tradition with the fruitcake. Happy New Year, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Impressive is an understatement here. This savory girl could not resist. I might just have to move closer to you :) All the best for the New Year Val. Keep cooking and smiling.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Gorgeous, impressive - what else can I say.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my home. Thank you for choosing to stay a while and for sharing our lives through food. I appreciate all your support, comments, suggestions, and daily encouragement.

Val

This blog uses comment moderation therefore SPAMMERS, SELF-PROMOTERS and ADVERTISERS will be deleted.