23 September 2012

Farewell to Summer with Nasturtium Butter

Nasturtium Butter
Throughout the summer months and into early fall nasturtiums are bursting out all over my garden. And while I enjoy soaking up their wild, untamed beauty, I enjoy eating them too. They turn a green salad from ordinary to beautiful plus they pack a nutritious punch since they are loaded with Vitamin C. Most of all they add a subtle peppery radish-like flavour especially when combined with some freshly plucked garden greens. I plant them specifically for this purpose.
This year I decided to try something new and create a delicious herbed butter that I used on grilled pieces of salmon and halibut, juicy grilled steaks and chicken. I even tossed this mildly flavoured butter into some orzo for a lovely side dish. But, as a last ode to summer I melted it on the last of the summer corn steamed to perfection. 

Ciao summer and welcome autumn.




**Nasturtium Butter**

1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup nasturtium flower petals, washed and patted dry
1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
1 tablespoon chives
salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste

On a wooden board chop nasturtium flowers and chives finely with a sharp knife. In a medium sized bowl blend into room temperature butter. Transfer on to a piece of plastic wrap, and roll into a log shape. Refrigerate until firm. When ready to serve, cut off thin slices of the golden butter and allow to melt.

May be made ahead and stored wrapped tightly in the fridge or freezer.


You are reading this post on More Than Burnt Toast at http://morethanburnttoast.blogspot.com. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to the author and or owner of More Than Burnt Toast. All rights reserved by Valerie Harrison. Best Blogger Tips

12 comments:

  1. oh dear I love Fall!! and now we are in spring so I have to wait by autumn LOL

    nice corn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! I love it. Such a nice way to extend the season for my nasturtium. Thx.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure I've ever seen Nasturiums growing in the open!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks gorgeous! Lovely picture x

    ReplyDelete
  5. They just starting selling them at the garden centers this year. Next year - will plant some. Until then, will dream. Such a good idea with the butter - love the idea of the color and the peppery flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  6. thinking I'm a pretty smart foodie, I have to admit I've never heard of this before. how sad is that?
    but being a foodie also means I will try anything.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I still have nasturtiums galore and need to try this butter recipe! I looks perfect on corn on the cob.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks amazing!

    My garden is still verrucas with Nasturtiums. I should try this quickly before they are gone.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great idea Val! I have about a gazillion nasturtiums in the garden!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is a great idea and it looks so pretty....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Being from Iowa where there is more real estate devoted to corn crops than humans, I (and my family) devour all things corn-related and I mean seriously devour corn recipes! It's best on the cob as you prepared and the butter sounds delicious Val! I will miss fresh corn until next summer!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my home. Thank you for choosing to stay a while and for sharing our lives through food. I appreciate all your support, comments, suggestions, and daily encouragement.

Val

This blog uses comment moderation therefore SPAMMERS, SELF-PROMOTERS and ADVERTISERS will be deleted.