10 June 2012

Start Your Weekend with Seasonal Asparagus Bread Pudding for S-l-o-w Sundays

Seasonal Aspargaus Bread Pudding

This morning I lifted my weary head from my sleep-induced coma and crept from under the comfort of my down duvet. Peering through the fog I seemed disoriented and every fibre of my being thought I had awakened in the wrong city, in the wrong province, or even on the wrong continent. I wondered if somehow I had ended up on the coast where the skies pour their hearts out for days on end, or found myself in a tropical rainforest? I shook my head to clear my thoughts and heard morning doves and swallows and not the excited chatter of monkeys or the beating of drums. I don't recall having too many glasses of wine at dinner last night. Am I not in the "sunny" Okanagan Valley where the relentless summer sun beats down on the sunbaked rolling hills? Yes it has rained for an entire week and we the smug raincoat-less, umbrella-less society have been speaking our minds on the subject.


Looking on the bright side, as I eventually always do, all this damp weather has brought me a sparkling clean home and many comforting dishes from my kitchen. To welcome in a glorious, albeit rain-soaked, Sunday morning I bring you a seasonal bread pudding perfect for our S-l-o-w Sundays. This has been a gloriously lazy weekend of staying up late and sleeping in, just as it should be. A Sunday should be slow, no rushing around, no big errands, just taking our time and mozying along. We have Meatless Mondays, Wordless Wednesdays so today we are back on track with our S-l-o-w Sunday feature. My idea of enjoying a Sunday morning is to have a warm cup of tea and a long and lovingly prepared breakfast. 

For those of you who know me I work 6 days a week at the moment so when by chance I had a Saturday off yesterday the first thing I wanted to do was wander down to our local farmers market for the first time this season. I was like a kid in a candy store as I donned raincoat and waterproof shoes and waded through the rain-soaked parking lot to seek out all that a Spring market has to offer. Spring is when everything seems to come alive!!!!! The days are longer and the markets are bursting with the colours of the bountiful fruits and vegetables of the season. Not even the rain could put a damper on my enthusiasm. I spied fresh rhubarb, sweet garden peas, a tiny kaleidoscope of beets, asparagus and escarole and a wide variety of lettuces hand plucked from the garden for green salads. The delightful fragrance of chives, mint, chervil and tarragon filled the air. All of these tastes of Spring are bursting from our gardens, forests, markets and window boxes.

The idea for this savoury bread pudding came from a friend at work who had made a similar dish which I had to try in my own kitchen. I had to prepare one last tribute to asparagus and young Spring garlic before they are just a sweet memory with Spring herbs like chives, thyme and parsley from my window boxes. In this case I served it with some slices of Canadian peameal bacon and a tall glass of rhubarb iced tea. Enjoy what is left of your weekend whatever life has in store for you. As I sit here sipping my iced tea the sky is blue and the sun is shining. How life can change at a moments notice.

**Asparagus Bread Pudding**

1/2 loaf rustic bread, preferably day-old ciabatta or sourdough Italian, crusts removed, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (approximately 3 - 4 cups)
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup heavy cream
3 large eggs
1/4 tsp salt
Pinch of pepper
1/2 lb asparagus, tough stem ends removed, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 small bulb of spring garlic, finely minced
1 small shallot, peeled and finely minced
1/2 cup Fontina, Gruyere or Emmenthaler cheese, grated
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
1/4 cup chopped mixed herbs such as thyme, oregano, chives, and/or flat-leaf parsley

Place the bread cubes in a large bowl and pour the milk over. Set aside to soak until the milk is almost thoroughly absorbed, about 35 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Butter a 1 quart souffle or square baking dish and set aside.

Combine the cream, eggs, salt, and pepper in a bowl and whisk together. Set the custard aside.

Drop the asparagus into a small saucepan of boiling water and cook until just tender, 1 to 2 minutes. Rinse under cold running water and drain. Toss together with the garlic, shallots and herbs. 

In a small bowl, combine Fontina and Parmesan cheeses.

To the bowl with the soaked bread cubes add the asparagus herb mixture. Mix lightly to combine. Place 1/2 of the bread in the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with 1/2 of the cheese mixture. Top with 1/2 of the remaining bread mixture and top with the remaining cheese. Pour the custard over the top.

Bake until golden brown, about 1 hour. Check for doneness with a skewer or paring knife. The custard should be set and the tester should come out clean.

Serves 4

You are reading this post on More Than Burnt Toast at http://morethanburnttoast.blogspot.com. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to the author/owner of More Than Burnt Toast. All rights reserved by Valerie Harrison.
Best Blogger Tips

23 comments:

  1. This is the most stunning beautiful gorgeous dish I have ever seen you make - and I have seen you make some stunning and gorgeous dishes. The simplicity and seasonality and brilliance of this combination coupled by the chive flowers so artfully placed - and delicious, sent shivers down my spine!
    YUM YUMMMMMERS!
    :)
    Valeire

    ReplyDelete
  2. Val what lovely idea a bread pudding with asparagaus really love this! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This would make a wonderful brunch on a lazy Sunday- or any other day for that matter. Perfect for clouds or sunshine! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a gorgeous photograph! It looks too good to eat, but I'm afraid I'd have to. Despite the rainy weather, you've painted a picture of the perfect weekend, and a great s-l-o-w Sunday meal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perfect timing as fresh asparagus is all around us. I love having new recipes to showcase my favorite vegetable and this sounds delicious.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mighty delicious! Slow weekends are just great and so enjoyable.

    cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love savory breakfast bread puddings, and this one will make it into my recipe file!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want Sunday to start all over again so that I can make this...it looks wonderful : )

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice! I have not yet asparagus this season and your pudding is really appealing. I don't let the weather stop me from going to the farmers market. I am glad you had a Saturday off to enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Be still my heart!!!! Bread Pudding AND asparagus. Two of my favourites.
    ~Ann

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your asparagus bread pudding looks delicious. Nice photo! Wow! Rain in the Okanagan? That's unusual during this time of year. I lived in Kelowna back in the mid 90s and loved the summers. Great boating!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a perfect spring dish! Love the new garlic and asparagus... and rhubarb bev pairing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm visiting my daughter in London and really I don't think you can really know rain until you've lived here. Oh dear, I'm feeling a bit like a duck! Love your bread pudding, how fun to make a savory one rather than sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I do love your slow Sundays, Val. After reading the recipe, I'm wondering if you could make it the night before like some other savory bread-based dishes. It sure would make things easier and slower on a Sunday. The chive flowers are a lovely touch.
    Rain, rain go away?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't see why not Barbara. For bread pudding I like to use a good textured bread like ciabatta or in this case a rosemary infused foccacia. This type of bread does not absorb the milk as easily to avoid that soggy outcome I don't care for.

    ReplyDelete
  16. while i don't like bread pudding for dessert--it's rarely sweet enough to satisfy me!--i LOVE a savory version. very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! So creative, gourmet, and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  18. AnonymousJune 11, 2012

    Beautiful! I know what you mean about slow Sundays - that is how we spend them around here. It's a great day to putter in the kitchen!

    You are really going to appreciate that vacation to Italy with all of these 6 day weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love a good savory bread pudding and this sounds absolutely dreamy!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This sounds fantastic! I think I could actually get my husband to eat asparagus with this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  21. It was so warm yesterday, but absolutely dismal today!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your morning sounds like my day - a complete blur. Your asparagus bread pudding sounds wonderful and the photo looks inviting.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've heard of many versions of bread pudding, but Val, this one must be the best flavor combo that I've ever read! THis is perfect for my family who are in love with both asparagus and bread pudding! Great job!!!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my home. Thank you for choosing to stay a while and for sharing our lives through food. I appreciate all your support, comments, suggestions, and daily encouragement.

Val

This blog uses comment moderation therefore SPAMMERS, SELF-PROMOTERS and ADVERTISERS will be deleted.