13 November 2011

La Brea Bakery Bran Muffins

Nancy Silverton Bran Muffins from La Brea Bakery by David Lebovitz on a plate
La Brea Bakery Bran Muffins

The kids are coming for a visit from Vancouver this coming weekend. Since I will be working both Friday and Saturday I needed to have a few snacks in the freezer. Barbara of Moveable Feasts posted a Bran Muffin from Nancy Silverton and La Brea Bakery. I was curious about the technique which involves lightly toasting the bran as well as blitzing the raisins and incorporating them in the batter. I needed a bran muffin recipe so headed to the kitchen. These bran muffins have my undivided attention and are now my "go to" recipe!!!!!!! Not too sweet and loaded with toasty bran flavour. Thanks Barbara!!!!


**La Brea Bakery Bran Muffins**
adapted from Pastries from La Brea Bakery by Nancy Silverton
  • 2 cup (125g) wheat bran
  • 1 cup, plus 1/2 cup (190g total) dark raisins
  • 1 cup, plus 1/2 (370ml total) cup water
  • 1/2 cup (120g) buttermilk or plain low- or non-fat yogurt
  • a few swipes of fresh orange zest (unsprayed)
  • 1/2 cup (105g) packed light brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup (125ml) vegetable oil
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 large egg white
  • 1/2 cup (65g) flour
  • 1/4 cup (35g) whole wheat flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt

1. Preheat the oven to 350F (180C). Line a 12-cup muffin tin (with 1/2-cup indentations) with paper liners.

2. Spread the wheat bran on a baking sheet and toast in the oven for six to eight minutes, stirring a few times so it cooks evenly. Let cool.

3. While the bran is toasting, heat 1 cup (135g) of the raisins with 1/2 cup (120ml) of the water. Simmer for ten minutes, or until the water is all absorbed. Puree the raisins in a food processor or blender until smooth.

4. In a large bowl, mix together the toasted bran, buttermilk or yogurt, 1 cup (250ml) water, then mix in the raisin puree, orange zest, and brown sugar.

5. Stir in the oil, egg and egg white.

6. Mix together the flours, baking powder, baking soda, and salt, and sift directly into the wet ingredients. Stir until the ingredients are just combined, then mix in the remaining 1/2 cup (55g) raisins.

7. Spoon the batter into the muffin tins, making sure the batter is mounded slightly in each one. Because muffin tins can very in size, if your tins are larger, make fewer muffins.

8. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the muffins feel set in the center.

Makes 1 dozen

You are reading this post on More Than Burnt Toast at http://morethanburnttoast.blogspot.com. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to the author and or owner of More Than Burnt Toast. All rights reserved by Valerie Harrison. Best Blogger Tips

32 comments:

  1. healthy muffins looks wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never toasted bran for muffins before - great idea! It's always a good thing when healthy muffins are stashed in the freezer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmmm yummy! So glad I found this very cute blog! Congrats your recipes look so delicious! Come visit me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was just thinking of making a bran muffin. Seriously. Beautiful shot, Val. Enjoy the kids. Happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. very healthy and tempting!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  6. nice! i love these muffins... now i know how to make them. your kids are lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I saw Barbara's post and got excited. I want to make them too. Bran muffins are my muffin of choice because I'm not a sweets eater, and they are so satisfying. You are always working, Val. What is it you do? And, how in world do you do this awesome blog and work so much?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I saw these muffins on Barbara's site when she highlighted Nancy and thought they would be delicious. Glad you thought so too. Just doubles my interest.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  9. I feel like my mom always toasted her bran before adding it to muffins also.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Toasting the bran,very clever.Brings out a different texture, I bet. These are so delicious,I can tell from the photo!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I totally wanted to make these, too. Now, even more so...and I will definitely be toasting my bran. I can just imagine how wonderful these are!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I discovered I love all kind of muffins... if on top, they are healthy... let's make 3 batches ;D

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can see why you are keeping this recipe; toasting the bran and those raisin must really bring out teh floavour. I have been loolking for a Special Bran Muffin and here it is. Merci. Enjoy your kids.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  14. what lovely and yumm muffins dear Valli, I love them! and I love baking too! gloria

    ReplyDelete
  15. You have made these irresistibly appealing. I'm not normally one for bran muffins but I could make an exception for these. They look and sound delicious. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  16. Moist and healthy! These look wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is no doubt an excellent bran muffin recipe-they look delightful!

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  18. They do look delicious! You have reminded me of my mom's famous refrigerator bran muffin recipe. The batter must sit 24 hours in the fridge before being used - is enough for - oh, 5-6 dozen - and ages well. Will keep up to three months so can be made fresh for company at the drop of a hat. I have never found a recipe that was tastier, either. I know it was a very common recipe "out there" about 30 years ago. Have you heard of it? I will have to make it up and post it.
    :)
    Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  19. I need a go-to bran recipe...thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sounds like a good method.
    Love your blue plates Val.
    LL

    ReplyDelete
  21. Bran muffins are usually so boring but these sound like they're positively bursting with flavor!

    ReplyDelete
  22. While I never have toasted the bran either - it suddenly seems like the most sensible thing to do. I used to always have them around - or something similar and got out of the habit. The habit will now return - they look grand.

    ReplyDelete
  23. These look moist and delicious. I love a good bran muffin, but I rarely buy them because I hate raisins and end up picking away most of the muffin to avoid the raisins. This recipe gives me an incentive to try making them and I can just leave the raisins out:-)

    http://foodfashionandflow.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  24. These do sound so much better than the bran muffins I've had! I'd love to start my day with one of these.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am a sucker for a good bran muffin, and this looks to have all my favorite flavors and ingredients. Lovely recipe...can't wait to give yours a try!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh, I'm SO happy you get to spend time with your kids, Val! :-) And I love this recipe you shared. I absolutely adore homemade bran muffins, and these sound even better all toasty and good. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  27. These look amazing and I welcome a healthy recipe at this time of the year with so many decadent foods to indulge in! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  28. these are some fine and fiber-friendly muffins, val! :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. My kids will all be here next week for Thanksgiving, and I've already been stocking up to make sure they're well fed while they're here. These muffins will be perfect to have on hand for breakfast or snacking. I love that the raisins are pureed- I like the flavor of raisins, but not the texture. Enjoy your visit with your family! :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. These look fabulous, I can't wait to try, I'm a bran muffin lover from way back.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Finally got around to making these last weekend, and they are totally delicious. I can't believe how moist they are, and how TRULY healthy they are for a bran muffin. So often bran muffins aren't much healthier than "regular" muffins or if they are, they don't taste good. And these taste divine — super moist and that orange zest is such a nice touch.

    I didn't have wheat bran so used oat bran instead but plan on making these again this weekend with wheat bran. And I cooked and puréed the whole 1.5 cups of raisins. These are my forever go-to bran muffins. So happy to have found one.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my home. Thank you for choosing to stay a while and for sharing our lives through food. I appreciate all your support, comments, suggestions, and daily encouragement.

Val

This blog uses comment moderation therefore SPAMMERS, SELF-PROMOTERS and ADVERTISERS will be deleted.