23 April 2011

Roasted Lamb Loin Chops with Mustard-Herb Crust and Lemon Chive Roasted Vegetables

Roasted Lamb Loin Chops with Mustard-Herb Crust and Lemon Chive Roasted Vegetables
Happy Easter!!!!! Every family celebrates these holidays with different traditions and celebrations. Whether you celebrated yesterday, today, tomorrow or even Monday or simply don't celebrate at all, I hope you are creating unforgettable memories this long weekend. I had a small gathering yesterday and perhaps it is the heady scent of the forsythia, the flowering apricots and magnolias, the warmer days, the gentle buzz of a honeybee or the lengthening hours of light that have made this holiday season what dreams are made of.



Whatever is in the air Spring won't let me stay in this condo any longer! I must get out and breathe the air deeply again!!! I will head along the greenway to exchange my funds for my weekend in Seattle. As always I will have my camera in tow to capture the day and I will dream of exciting adventures to come. For anyone who follows me on Facebook you will know that I won a sponsorship from Canadian Beef to attend the Eat,Write, Retreat event in Washington D.C in May!!!!I can't wait to tell you all about it!!!

For Easter celebrations we served succulent local lamb chops from Vale Farms in Lumby, British Columbia. The crunchy, sweet-and-savory breadcrumb crust is a delicious contrast to the tender, rosy-red meat of these tiny morsels. We served it with a light and refreshing roasted potato and asparagus side whose slight citrusy notes complimented the dish. If you are looking to feed a small group this is the menu for you.


**Roasted Lamb Loin Chops with Mustard-Herb Crust**
  • 1 dozen lamb loin chops, bones attached
  • 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 2 medium cloves garlic, chopped
  • 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
  • 1/2 cup chopped scallions (white and light-green parts only; from about 8­ scallions)
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
  • 1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs
  • 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
  • 2 teaspoon honey
1. Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and rosemary and cook, stirring, until fragrant but not browned, about 20 seconds. Add the scallions, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the mint and parsley and cook, stirring, for another few seconds. Remove from the heat and transfer to a medium bowl.
2. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.

3. Pat the lamb loins dry and season with salt and pepper.


4. Stir the panko, mustard, and honey into the scallion mixture and season to taste with salt and pepper. Divide the panko coating among loin chops. Press crumb mixture firmly onto surface of lamb chops. Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium heat in a saute pan and brown each side of the chops, panko crust side first, leaving undisturbed for the first 2 minutes to allow the crust to integrate into the meat. Place on a baking sheet and finish in the oven, for approximately 6 to 8 additional minutes.

Serve with Lemon Chive Roasted Vegetables and a side salad.

**Lemon Chive Roasted Vegetables**
  • 1 1/2 pounds small red potatoes, halved
  • 1 1/2 pounds small fingerling potatoes, halved
  • 1 lb asparagus, trimmed
  • 2 medium Vidalia or other sweet onions, each cut into 8 wedges
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • Cooking spray
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 425°.

2. Combine potatoes in a large bowl with olive oil; toss well to coat. Arrange potatoes in a single layer on 2 jelly-roll pans coated with cooking spray. Bake at 425° for 20 minutes, turning after 15 minutes or until tender and lightly browned. To trays add trimmed asparagus and bake 5 minutes more.

3. In a small bowl combine chives, and remaining ingredients in a large bowl. In a large bowl toss chive mixture with potatoes gently to coat. Remove to platter. In remaining juice toss roasted asparagus. .

Serves 4 - 6


You are reading this post on More Than Burnt Toast at http://morethanburnttoast.blogspot.com. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to the author and or owner of More Than Burnt Toast. All rights reserved by Valerie Harrison. Best Blogger Tips

17 comments:

  1. What awesome flavors! Really marvelous. I love that pretty plate.

    Happy Easter!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  2. This meal is an amalgam of so many of my favorite flavors! the crust on the lamb, the chive-infused veggies....how delicious!

    If you plan on stopping in NYC while you're on the east coast (HINT HINT) let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lamb chops were one of my father's favorite things to cook, and this recipe reminds me of the wonderful meals he prepared with lamb.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Easter just isn't the same without lamb at the table. Have a wonderful Easter, Val!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Look nice and yummy, Happy Easter dear Vall, gloria

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a great Easter dish!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is the perfect Easter dinner - spring, delicate and packed with flavor. Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum! This lamb sounds awesome! Love all of the flavors going on! Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love lamb, absolutely love it. I wish I could invite myself for dinner. Lamb for Easter is a tradition I fondly remember, but my husband is a ham man. My turn next year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! That is so tasty looking! what a combination of flavor Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lamb and Easter are such a wonderful combination. Happy Easter Val.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my goodness, this sounds wonderful. Lamb is my favorite meat, and seeing it prepared in this way is making my stomach start to grumble! Looks delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. A wonderful meal Val! I love your use of all the different herbs. Happy Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a gorgeous presentation! The lamb looks soooo good, Val!

    ReplyDelete
  15. My inlaw's always serve lamb at Easter. It always strikes me as funny since during the church service they refer to Jesus as the "lamb of god." Between that and communion I'm not quite sure how the Jews got the cannibalistic reputation ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. girl i love the look of these chops. they're so robust and filling looking. sounds like you had a great Easter! Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks so tasty. I will surely be making it. How is it that I just found your blog for the first time? It's wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my home. Thank you for choosing to stay a while and for sharing our lives through food. I appreciate all your support, comments, suggestions, and daily encouragement.

Val

This blog uses comment moderation therefore SPAMMERS, SELF-PROMOTERS and ADVERTISERS will be deleted.