4 April 2011

Chicken Saltimbocca with Shaved Lemon Fennel Salad to Celebrate Spring

Chicken Saltimbocca with Shaved Lemon Fennel Salad

My recipes as seen in Honest Cooking....
In the fall when we attended Jennifer Cockrall-King's Food and Wine Writers Workshop in Penticton, British Columbia one of the many highlights of  the weekend was attending a dinner at Bogners . The sous vide lamb and smoked beet tart are one of my top 5 "best food memories" of all time!! Heading the culinary team at this world class community institution for the last five years is Chef Darin Paterson, armed with techniques acquired in European kitchens. He has reinvented the heritage manor’s menu to boast refined French-inspired fare to match the changing seasons and local produce available in the stunning Okanagan Valley. Right outside their kitchen door the Bogner’s team nourishes herbs and greens and even operate a two-acre farm just outside of town to bring the best the valley has to offer to their customers.

I was excited to find that on Sunday evenings Chef Darin is now offering cooking classes with different cuisines in mind. A few weeks ago I attended an Italian cooking class where we perfected a few classic dishes. On the menu for us to prepare was Parmesan Potato Gnocchi with Braised Baby Squid, Saltimbocca of Chicken with Sage, Lemon Fennel Salad and Sicilian Cannoli with Black Pepper Strawberry Salad.

 It was an exceptional experience to be cooking in a professional kitchen!What goes into making the meals that show up on your plate in the restaurant is a labour of love from the homemade proscuitto that Chef Darin ages for over 3 years to the smoker he has on site. His smoker is frequently stuffed with garlic bulbs, butternut squash, cauliflower and eggplant for his "farm-to-table" wine country menus. Smoked vegetables, notes Chef Darin, have an affinity for well-made Okanagan wines.

I would highly recommend taking a class with a professional chef. Chef Darin is a wealth of knowledge and even though I have made gnocchi and saltimbocca before I learned techniques and tricks to recreate these recipes at home to wow my guests as well as tips on wine, kitchen gadgets and local sustainable ingredients. We learned that when preparing gnocchi you only use the egg yolk; slice your chicken breasts thinly instead of pounding to create a more succulent dish that is cooked in a few short minutes; squid can be cooked very quickly at high heat or braised slowly for a long period; whip up a succulent strawberry sauce with only sugar and pureed strawberries.

 There were no recipes given since Chef Darin states "they use science instead of recipes" but the methods are now ingrained in my mind to recreate these dishes to the best of ability in my home kitchen. Although I couldn't match the homemade proscuitto or the handmade chocolate cannoli at home without cannoli molds and a fryer I think I came up with a pretty reasonable facsimile of the main course to share with you!

 Get ready for the warmer weather with this refreshing, light and easy salad. Anise-flavoured crisp fennel, simply dressed, makes a fresh tasting opening dish or accompaniment to grilled or roasted foods.  Be sure to buy firm, round bulbs which tend to be less stringy than slimmer varieties.  This salad keeps for a couple of days in the fridge, and tastes even more eye-popping the next day. Make this brightly flavoured fennel salad with Meyer lemons to add a burst of sunshine to any meal. The slightly orange flavour of Meyer lemons makes them sweet enough to eat plain in this salad although the combination of ordinary Eureka lemons, fennel and citrus is pretty close to perfection too. You'll want to "shave" the fennel as thinly as possible. My mandolin did not shave my fennel or the lemon as thinly as I would have liked but I found that if I used a very light touch the lemon was sliced very thinly (skin, pith and all) and compliments the salad and does not overpower it just as Chef Darin suggested.  Perhaps it's the saltiness of the proscuitto or the piquant citrus notes of the shaved fennel salad but Chef Darin came up with a winning combination here to bring a touch of spring flavours to your table.

In Italian, saltimbocca means "to jump in the mouth." The saltimbocca and the citrusy fennel salad do just that and have your taste buds dancing across the table. The beauty of cooking with ingredients that are freshest in the Spring months are their pure simplicity. The standout flavours are the fresh, natural ingredients themselves... the sweet taste of a carrot or the pop of a freshly shelled pea.  As with the meals served to diners at his restaurant and at events in the Okanagan, this meal was one for the memory books and I simply needed to share. I have done my best to create actual recipes because we are not all capable of cooking by "feel" as Chef Darin is. I will definitely be taking more classes at Bogners. There is always room for improvement and I love to learn new techniques.

Chef Darin Paterson, Chef and Owner
Bogners Restaurant
http://www.bogners.ca/
http://www.bcwineries.net/events
302 Eckhardt Avenue West
Penticton, BC, V2A 2A9
Phone: 250 493 2711

I am sending this fennel salad over to Rachel from The Crispy Cook who is our host for this edition of Weekend Herb Blogging.Thanks to Haalo of Cook Almost Anything at Least Once, torchbearer for WHB's creator, Kalyn of Kalyn's Kitchen.


**Chicken Saltimbocca with Shaved Lemon Fennel Salad**

3 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon (8 g) all purpose white flour
 6 leaves fresh sage 
3 slices Parma ham/Prosciutto, thinly sliced 6 toothpicks
1 tablespoon (15 mL) olive oil
salt to taste
ground pepper to taste
1/4 cup white wine
1/2 cup (65 mL) chicken broth
2 teaspoon (9 g) butter, unsalted

***********
Slice the breasts horizontally into very thin cutlets. Place a leaf of sage on each piece and cover with a slice of prosciutto. Use a toothpick to keep the small package together if you wish. Coat each cutlet with the flour; then shake off the excess.

Heat the oil in a pan. Working in batches, add a few cutlets at a time. Start with the proscuitto side down, and cook over high heat. After 3 min, turn to brown the other side. Lower the heat, cover, and cook 2 min. Season with a little salt (prosciutto is already fairly salty) and pepper to taste. Remove the cutlets from the pan and keep them warm. Repeat the operation with the remaining cutlets.

Pour the wine into the pan to deglaze. Add broth into the pan, then cook over high-heat until reduced by half, about 1 minute. Remove the pan from the heat, then stir in the butter until it has melted, about 30 seconds.

Place the cutlets onto warmed plates, remove the toothpicks (if using). Spoon the sauce over the cutlets then serve.

Serves 6


**Shaved Lemon Fennel Salad**

2 medium fennel bulbs, greens attached (fronds to be used in salad)
1 lemon plus 4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
8 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

**************
Trim the stalks and root ends from the fennel bulbs. Pull off any tough and bruised outer layers. Cut the bulbs in half and cut out most of the core, leaving just enough to hold the layers together. Shave the fennel using the smallest thickness on a mandolin or other slicer. The slices should be almost paper thin. You can core each fennel bulb before hand or simply remove the core from the thin slices. The core has a flavour that would not be suitable for this salad.

Cut the stem end from one lemon. Using the same thickness shave your lemon. With a very light touch your lemon slices will be paper thin.  Stir the lemon slices and fennel together in a large bowl.

Whisk olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper in small bowl until blended.

Add sliced fennel and lemon and toss until coated. Handpick fennel fronds and toss into salad. Your hands are the best tools for the job. Don’t worry you can always wash them.  Let stand at room temperature, tossing occasionally, about 1 hour before serving.

Cook's Note: This salad can be made up to 1 day in advance.  Bring to room temperature toss once or twice and check seasonings before serving.

Serves 6 small portions

You are reading this post on More Than Burnt Toast at http://morethanburnttoast.blogspot.com. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to the author and or owner of More Than Burnt Toast. All rights reserved by Valerie Harrison. Best Blogger Tips

33 comments:

  1. I was salivating over the fennel and lemon salad yesterday when you put the photo up. It looks just as yummy today. I think I'll try this combo today as I have both in the fridge begging to be a duo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fennel salad is so delicious! Perfect when served with that chicken saltimboca...

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd go straight for that lemon fennel salad! Thinly shaved fennel is one of my new favorite things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This recipe has my taste buds on alert this morning! It has also inspired me to look into a cooking class with a chef as a gift to my husband. Well, actually that would be a gift to me as well!!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice dish, both the salad and the protein...but my eyes really popped when I read the menu at your cooking class. Mamma mia!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a perfectly elegant meal. Stunning,

    ReplyDelete
  7. Look yummy,yummy Val, gloria

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love these in between seasons where we can kind of cook the same food, I would love to try this "Spring dish", before winter really hit us!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow! Taking that cooking class sounds like an awesome experience! And what a gorgeous dish to come out of it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a great class. I want to look for some cooking classes around here now that I'm "retired." The food sounds just great.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really need to use fennel more. This salad looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would love to take a class in a professional setting. In Ottawa we have a lot of choices. I should look into this. We had snow in Ottawa today. Hope we get the nice weather soon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love chicken saltimbocca! The shaved fennel salad sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Chicken saltimbocca is one of my favorite Italian recipes. I LOVE PROSCIUTTO. (I'm a bit passionate about my pork products as I'm sure you know):-)

    That fennel salad looks to die for. I want to try it right now. I love fennel.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Getting to watch a chef work and learn all the helpful tips is so much fun. The shaved fennel and lemon salad looks fantastic for spring!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am also a fennel lover and I wish I could find the round variety here. Fennel salad is refreshing and so flavorful. I like the idea of thinly sliced Meyer lemon to go with the fennel.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That salad is gourmet! Cooking classes are such fun!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Last Wednesday I tasted Chicken Saltimbocca for the first time. It was served with a marsala sauce and rice pilaf. Lots of textures and flavors. :)
    ~Judy

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is such a beautiful dish Val, bursting with flavor. What an awesome class you took, sounds like a foodie's dream.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I always learn new things from your blog. Never heard of a Saltimbocca before and now I know what it means too!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Being a gentle cook and leaving go of the pounding makes all the difference in the world. The fennel salad must come to my table.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is a mouth watering plateful of food----the shaved Fennel salad looks as tempting as the Chicken Saltimboca.... wonderful presentation

    ReplyDelete
  23. A delicious combination of flavors! The fennel salad sounds so good with chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a wonderful meal, perfect to celebrate spring for sure! The lemon fennel salad sounds just delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Beautiful meal, Val! I adore saltimbocca. I used to hate (or think I hated) fennel but after having it a couple years ago, I was pleased to find out I really like it - and it looks awesome here.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Totally mouth watering,my in laws love saltimboca and the salad is perfect to side dish

    ReplyDelete
  27. The fennel salad in this dish did it for me. I just love fennel.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Always wonderful event you get to assist to Val...and great inspiration as well.

    Thank you for sharing such a well put together Spring meal ;o)

    Flavourful wishes,
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  29. That fennel salad sounds wonderful. Thanks for sending it over to Weekend Herb Blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  30. This looks really delicious Val! I especially love the shaved fennel salad!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi Val - the entire dish rocks. I'm definitely making the fennel salad.
    LL

    ReplyDelete
  32. What a wonderful opportunity for you to be able to take a class from a pro chef....something I'm still dreaming of doing. Saltimbocca is one of the best Italian dishes; I can still remember the very first time I tasted it and was over the moon nuts about it! Yours looks fantastic, Val!

    ReplyDelete
  33. The fennel salad lloks yummy. I am eager to try it soon. It is always a great resource to learn from professionals. The tips and tricks given by them not only make cooking more quicker and easier, but also adds great flavour to the food. Expert advice always works wondes. I am looking forward to attend a cooking workshop under some professional chef soon. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my home. Thank you for choosing to stay a while and for sharing our lives through food. I appreciate all your support, comments, suggestions, and daily encouragement.

Val

This blog uses comment moderation therefore SPAMMERS, SELF-PROMOTERS and ADVERTISERS will be deleted.