28 March 2011

Ottolenghi's Spiced Chickpeas with Fresh Vegetable Salad for My Legume Love Affair

Ottolenghi's Spiced Chickpeas with Fresh Vegetable Salad

Clean, fresh and, above all, tasty a warm dish that is perfect for todays Meatless Mondays and the latest round of My Legume Love Affair the brainchild of Susan at The Well Seasoned Cook  this month hosted by Dee over at Ammalu's Kitchen





This recipe comes from chef Yotam Ottolenghi and his latest cookbook Plenty that is a compilation of his recipes from the Guardian.


**Spiced Chickpeas with Fresh Vegetable Salad**
from Chef Yotam Ottolenghi

100g dried chickpeas
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 small cucumbers (280g)
2 large tomatoes (300g)
1 small red onion, peeled
240g radishes
1 red pepper, seeds and pith removed
20g coriander leaves and stems, roughly chopped
15g flat-leaf parsley, picked and roughly chopped
120ml olive oil
Grated zest of 2 lemons, plus 50ml lemon juice
30ml sherry vinegar
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 tsp sugar
Salt and black pepper
1 tsp ground cardamom
1½ tsp ground allspice
1 tsp ground cumin
Greek yogurt (optional)

*********************
Soak the chickpeas overnight in a large bowl of cold water and the bicarb. Next day, drain, place in a large pan and cover with twice the volume of water. Bring to a boil and simmer for an hour, skimming off any foam, until tender, then drain.

Cut the cucumber, tomato, onion, radish and pepper into 1cm dice, and mix with the coriander and parsley. In a jar or sealable container, put 75ml of olive oil with the lemon juice and zest, vinegar, garlic and sugar, shake and season to taste. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss lightly.

Mix together the cardamom, allspice, cumin and a quarter-teaspoon of salt, and spread on a plate. Toss the cooked chickpeas in the spice mixture in batches, to coat well. Heat the remaining oil in a frying pan and over medium heat lightly fry the chickpeas for two to three minutes, gently shaking the pan so they cook evenly and don't stick. Keep warm.

Divide the salad between four plates, arranging it in a large circle with a slight indent in the middle, and spoon the warm chickpeas in the centre. Drizzle some Greek yoghurt on top if you prefer the salad to be a bit more creamy.

You are reading this post on More Than Burnt Toast at http://morethanburnttoast.blogspot.com. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to the author and or owner of More Than Burnt Toast. All rights reserved by Valerie Harrison.
Best Blogger Tips

31 comments:

  1. Fresh and mouthwatering!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  2. How splendid, Val. :-) I've been on a chickpea spree this month, finding all sorts of lovely stews and soups to make with them, and I love the looks of this spicy but fresh salad. Yum!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love chickpeas Val, and this look yummy,yummy, gloria

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel like every one in the world is more creative with chickpeas than I am.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. You're inspiring us to try out the same: no meat on Mondays. Great idea. What a lovely looking dish and can imagine the taste is dynamite! Hardest part is remembering to soak the chickpeas the day before... :-)
    Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is official. If that cookbook doesn't get here soon, I intend to be very very angry. Love this salad!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had a bean salad for lunch for Meatless Mondays and will have a Meatless Dinner as well. Those spiced chickpeas looks so good in your salad.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This salad looks and sounds incredible. It's definitely a feast for the senses with the warm and spicy chickpeas along with the coolness of the tomatoes and cucumber and then you add the creaminess of the Greek yogurt. Amazing! This one will be bookmarked :o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chickpeas from dried to cooked are so much better than the canned variety...it's the little things that count!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have the book and had spotted that recipe. It looks really nice, fresh-tasting and nutritious. A great way to start the week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hubby and I are having more and more meatless meals. We love chickpeas, and this looks delicous! Love the flavors! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. spiced chickpeas - that's a marvellous idea; this particular bean goes really well with piquant tastes

    ReplyDelete
  13. Valerie, I don't think this dish is for you. It does not hold well. The salad is the problem. I really think it is one of those dishes you need to serve within a short period of time. The chickpeas are warm. I would stick to the veggie chili. For presentation serve it in a bun as the bowl.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a stunning recipe, Val. I've two Ottolenghi cookbooks and I've heard nothing but good things about them. I can see why. I know once I get sucked into the pages, I may never come out. : ) A great addition to MLLA. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks fantastic!..I know it's been a while..hope you are doing well Val!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Can you believe I've never bought dried chickpeas? You've inspired me. I've only done this with black beans and they were so much better!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have noticed that I have had a legume love affair the last two months just because - so will definitely be doing this. Tasty way to add chickpeas and love the fresh vegetables - of course wishing they were already local and fresher still. Which means wishing it was really spring.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! We're just getting into salad season here so your recipe has come just in time. We absolutely love chickpeas and coating them in those spices sounds great. Might even try this tomorrow! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have to say I love legumes too although I mostly use chickpeas only for hummus. This sounds like such a flavorful salad and a perfect meatless meal.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love chickpeas, but I'm afraid I'm the only one in my house. But I wouldn't mind eating this every day for lunch for a week. Great mix of veggies, too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love chickpea salads! This once looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love chickpeas and that salad looks incredible and such a pretty blue plate!

    ReplyDelete
  23. this is go great, Val. I love the colors and contrast of textures. Great MM action right here!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wonderful healthy salad! Very flavorful with cardamom, allspice, & cumin!

    ReplyDelete
  25. As I continue to make changes to my nutrition, I need to try more recipes with legumes. I just love chickpeas!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Val, you hooked me on a curiosity about the addition of baking soda in the soaking water. Excuse my ignorance on this one...but what is the reason for doing so?
    I soak dried chickpeas all the time and never used this method.
    Looking forward to be enlightened ;o)

    Ciao,
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Claudia. I didn't really know why since I have inevitably used canned chickpeas in the past. Many recipes specify that chickpeas should be cooked with 1 tsp. baking soda; this was necessary to soften the older varieties of chickpeas but now no longer seems to be necessary. Some say it changes the flavour. Curious I Googled and found this information. "Some cooks suggest adding a small amount of baking soda to the cooking water to soften it. We don’t recommend this because baking soda may give the beans a soapy flavour and its ability to improve the bean cooking process has not been proved. Amounts of baking soda over 1/8 teaspoon per cup of beans may destroy the thiamine (Vitamin B1) in beans. Thiamine is a valuable nutrient and one reason why beans have a reputation for being nutritious. If you have hard water and are in doubt as to whether or not to use baking soda, buy purified bottled drinking water – not distilled water – for soaking and cooking beans."
    My thought is do not add it, it is not necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love the fresh bright flavors in this salad, the herbs and spices really make it. Legumes are so perfect for vegetarian dishes, filling and good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love Ottolenghi. What a refreshing recipe that is just perfect for vegetarians.

    ReplyDelete
  30. We love this recipe and have used it a few times. Today, I find myself coming back to it again...although for quickness, we tend to use tinned chickpeas as it's always last minute when we decide to have the salad. :)

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my home. Thank you for choosing to stay a while and for sharing our lives through food. I appreciate all your support, comments, suggestions, and daily encouragement.

Val

This blog uses comment moderation therefore SPAMMERS, SELF-PROMOTERS and ADVERTISERS will be deleted.