6 March 2011

Fruit Salad with Cannoli Cream for Carnivale

Fruit Salad with Cannoli Cream

I was 18 the last time I visited Italy. At 18 I experienced the world differently than I would today but still the first thoughts that come to mind are the wonderful waterways and mazes of Venice, black olives, olive oil, tossing a coin in the Trevi fountain, pizza, homemade pasta... and trying my very first ‘cannoli’. It is said that you will never find two cannoli recipes that are exactly the same. Many swear that the taste and the experience of eating a cannoli, when it is well made, can never EVER be forgotten. I would have to agree wholeheartedly since I have never had one in all these years that could hold a candle to the ones I had on the Italian Riviera or the streets of Rome!


Cannoli originated in Palermo and the surrounding areas and were originally made for Carnival, which is a festival that occurs before Lent and is one last fling before the fasting begins. The traditional filling is a sweetened ricotta cheese filling sometimes mixed with candied orange zest or citron, chopped pistachios, grated chocolate, or drizzled with a variety of extracts or flavourings such as fortified wine and liqueurs. 

This fruit salad with with it's ricotta cream topping is a healthy reminder of Italy and Carnivale!!! I made both the fruit salad and the cannoli cream the night before to enjoy a leisurely Sunday morning with a cup of tea and a good book. The sun is shining so it looks like a good day for a walk!!!



**Fruit Salad with Cannoli Cream**
adapted from Giada De Laurentis

1/3 cup whole milk ricotta
2 tablespoons plus 1/3 cup whipping cream
3 tablespoons icing sugar
dash of ground cinnamon
12 oz fresh strawberries hulled, quartered (about 2 1/2 cups)
1 1/4 cups fresh blueberries
1 cup seedless grapes
1 cup diced fresh pineapple
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
2 - 3 tablespoons sliced almonds or chopped pistachios

Stir the ricotta and 2 tablespoons of cream in a medium bowl to blend. Using an electric mixer, beat the remaining 1/3 cup of cream, powdered sugar, and cinnamon in a large bowl until semi-firm peaks form. Fold the ricotta into the whipped cream. Place in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes to stiffen and yield a creamier filling. (Can be prepared 4 hours ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)

Toss the fruit, sugar, and lemon juice in a medium bowl to combine. Let stand until juices form, tossing occasionally, about 15 minutes. Add the kiwi.

Spoon the fruit mixture into 4 dessert bowls. Dollop the ricotta cream atop the fruit. Sprinkle with the almonds or chopped pistachios and serve.

Serves 4

You are reading this post on More Than Burnt Toast at http://morethanburnttoast.blogspot.com. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to the author/owner of More Than Burnt Toast. All rights reserved by Valerie Harrison. Best Blogger Tips

22 comments:

  1. It must be the winter getting to me, but I love fruit right now. I just can't get enough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A wonderful dessert! That is a perfect combination.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely, cool way to serve fruit, Val. I eat a bowl of fruit nearly every day...will be trying this as soon as I run out of my leftover lemon curd and yogurt....which has been my go-to topping this week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How ingenious to use the cannoli cream over a fruit salad...def makes for a different breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Val, this is a lovely dessert. I've bookmarked it to use later in the season.
    Our fruit is not yet ready for a standalone dessert. Soon, please God!

    Have a good evening. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh this fruit salad is absolutely luscious! There is NOTHING like good cannoli cream, you are so right!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The simplest desserts are best! Fruit and cream is just super. I sometimes used drained yoghurt sweetened with some icing sugar instead of cream. This looks just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We love cannolis in our house and this would be a welcome dessert.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds perfect for a lazy Sunday morning. The fresh stawberries have just come in here in Florida. Will give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Is yummy Vall, love fruits! gloria

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds wonderful! What a delicious way to 'dress up' fruit.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a perfectly splendid addition to fruit salad, Val. I know I would LOVE this!! :-) I hope you're getting sunshine like we are today. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a perfect topping for the fresh fruit that will appear in the markets in a few months. Bookmarked!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It looks light and refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's fun to take the holiday out of New Orleans and over to Italy now and then. I rarely ever eat cannoli because my husband can't stand them, so this type of thing is always a treat. I wonder how this would taste with a dash of liquer in the cream (although not a wise idea if you're having it for breakfast);-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. The cream is my favorite part of the cannoli, so I would simply adore this, especially with fresh fruits!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a delightful dessert, love the idea of Cannoli Cream over the fruits!

    ReplyDelete
  18. it's like i always say--leave the gun, take the cannoli cream. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Funnily enough, I was considering buying cannoli moulds at the weekend. But just the cream, with fruit - just as good!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh Wow! I would absolutely LOVE this., I'm such a addict when it comes to cannoli cream :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Cannolis might be my favorite Italian dessert...I grew up on them and used to just eat cups of cannoli cream for snacks at my parents restaurant. :)

    I love that you paired cannoli cream with fruit as a topping! Brilliant! Looks delicious Val! Wish I had a fork to take a bite out of that picture!

    ReplyDelete
  22. 18? Don't you think it's time ot go again???
    BUY THE TICKET NOW - need a travelling partner? Call me!
    I have been there many many times and can not get enough.
    :)
    Valerie

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my home. Thank you for choosing to stay a while and for sharing our lives through food. I appreciate all your support, comments, suggestions, and daily encouragement.

Val

This blog uses comment moderation therefore SPAMMERS, SELF-PROMOTERS and ADVERTISERS will be deleted.