5 December 2010

Limoncello Tiramisù is a Grand Ending for our "Bucket List" Challenge

Limoncello Tiramisù
You know that dessert was coming! If you have been following More Than Burnt Toast you will know that I have been creating personal challenges based on a theme to infuse new life into my cooking adventures. Even every day food should be an adventure either with new ideas, or experimenting with a new cuisine. Every day we should be excited about what we are eating even if it just means making use of a wonderful find at our local farmers market for our favourite comfort foods.With these personally imposed challenges my own culinary skills have been rejuvenated and back on track and I am once again inspired. With the holidays coming this is the perfect time of year to pump up our kitchens into high gear!


For the past week or so I have taken on the challenge of creating a menu from beginning to end... from appetizer to dessert... from my "bucket list". We all have a bucket list of recipes we want to try from magazines, cookbooks, our blogging friends or wherever you find your inspiration takes you.  We started off with an hors d'oeuvres that made our tastebuds sing with citrus notes...Crab Cake Sliders with Lemon Remoulade. Following that was the piece de resistance, a classic Roast Chicken with Thyme Gravy. By chance the recipe chosen for our Cooking Light Virtual Supper Club fit right in with my menu with a nutty, almost smoky flavoured Wild Rice Dressing with Roasted Chestnuts and Cranberries. We then had two side dishes...one a pumped up version of potatoes for the gravy with Browned Butter Mashed Potatoes and a Mock Spinach Souffle.

Now you know a menu for friends and family would not be complete without dessert so I have chosen  tiramisù for an outstanding conclusion to the first of many "bucket meals". While the conventional version of tiramisù calls for espresso-soaked savoiardi, I've found that other flavours can be incorporated into the dessert with great success. Do you remember my Raspberry Tiramisù for a previous challenge? Here, the brightness of fresh lemons and limoncello liqueur lace the cream and soaking syrup to make for a tiramisù that is refreshing and irresistible. This has been on my "bucket list" since we received a generous gift of some homemade limoncello from Sandi of Seattle Pastry Girl back in October when Seattle area bloggers got together at Poppy.

Though Treviso is recognized as the birthplace of tiramisù, the precise origins of this phenomenally popular dessert are shrouded in mystery. One of the delights of making tiramisù is its versatility. This recipe makes a family-style dessert in a large dish, but you can easily compose single servings in dessert glasses, wine goblets, or even elegant teacups for a more impressive presentation.  It has a chill time of at least 6 hours so think ahead. This dessert would even benefit more from standing overnight. Lemon is "my chocolate" so this refreshing version of this classic dessert appeals to me in more ways than one. Bring a ray of lemony sunshine to your holiday menu!!Sprinkle it with toasted almonds and a splash of gold dust.
 
What's on your bucket list?



**Limoncello Tiramisù**

Syrup

4 ounces water
4 ounces limoncello
4 ounces fresh squeezed lemon juice ( grind remaining zest from lemons)
8 ounces sugar

Tiramisù
3 large eggs, separated
4 tablespoons sugar
4 ounces limoncello
1 lb mascarpone cheese
1 teaspoon sugar for egg whites
zest of 2 lemons
18 crisp Italian ladyfingers ( as many as needed)
toasted almonds


To make syrup combine all ingredients in a pot and bring to a boil; reduce heat to a low simmer for about 10 minutes. Remove from flame and allow to cool down.

 To make and assemble tiramisù beat together egg yolks and 4 tablespoons of sugar and 4 oz limoncello in a large bowl over a bain marie (pot of boiling water) to make a zabaglione until thick and foamy, about 4 minutes. Be careful not to overheat or the eggs will cook and make the mixture lumpy.

Let this mixture cool and then fold in mascarpone cheese and lemon zest to achieve a smooth, creamy texture.

In a clean separate bowl using an electric mixer, beat egg whites while adding remaining 1 teaspoon of sugar slowly. Beat whites to a stiff peak.

Then fold egg whites into the mascarpone mixture. Do not over mix. Fold in just until combined.

Soak ladyfingers in the limoncello syrup mixture, soaking it about 2-4 seconds, (depending on what type you have. Do not over soak or your tiramisù will be soggy) and transfer to an 8-inch glass baking dish (2-quart capacity). Repeat until one full layer of ladyfingers are arranged in bottom of dish, trimming as needed to fit snugly.

Spread a quarter of an inch of mascarpone mixture evenly over ladyfingers. Make another layer in same manner with remaining ladyfingers and mascarpone mixture. Top with toasted almonds.

Chill tiramisu, covered.

Serves 6 -8

You are reading this post on More Than Burnt Toast at http://morethanburnttoast.blogspot.com. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to the author/owner of More Than Burnt Toast. All rights reserved by Valerie Harrison. Best Blogger Tips

30 comments:

  1. Wow, I am speechless at how good that sounds and looks! You are my guru Val!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely flavor for a Tiramisù! Really appealing.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds so quintessentially italian

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tiramisu! My favorite Italian dolce! Now with limoncello! Exquisite! This is going to be the best! Thanks for sharing. Cheers!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adore Limoncello. We had a fun Thanksgiving with this last year with my aunt who was having hot flashes.

    Peace, Love and Chocolate
    Tiffany
    redbonegirl97@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Val...this is a pure delight.
    Recipe sounds purely scrumptious.
    Hopefully, I'll have a chance to share my two versions of this treat soon too ;o)

    Congrats on filling up that succeeded bucket wish list ;o)

    Ciao for now,
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tiramisu is my absolute favorite of all desserts and this flavor profile sounds to die for!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is probably better than the original. It's light and citrusy, which should appeal to anyone who may not enjoy coffee. Great job! Canele would be one of the more fun things to cross off the bucket list.

    ReplyDelete
  9. One of my favorite desserts. That looks lovely,

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, this sounds heavenly, Val! Got to try it...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lemon in that "little pick me up" sounds delicious--a real treat for the taste buds after a delicious meal.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks just Amazing!! Well done Val!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks marvelous, Val! Your bucket list meal looks like a pretty awesome one - I think I will put "Eating at Val's house" on my bucket list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. this looks so delish!! thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lemon is your chocolat? Not mine... but I DO love it... and this is a lovely way for me to use some of my Limoncello...I had thought tiramisu hailed from Venice? That's where my research took me... I guess we will never know. I will have to look up your town... I am also surprised your bucket list is done. That must feel fantastic. Good for you. I have decided to do this, as well - in the new year - at least once a month. I would like to be as organized as you... and my list of "to do" recipes is long enough to do three a week for a year, for sure!
    Great project. I really enjoyed it.
    :)
    Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  16. I do really enjoy this take on Tiramisu in the summer, nice and light. Great dessert, Val.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a delicious looking treat! My grandmother used to always make a dessert called lemon delight - and this kind of reminds me of it - but your dessert is way , more refined! My homemade limoncello is almost finished brewing, so I will have to make this!

    ReplyDelete
  18. If that tastes half as good as it looks you should be canonized. I love the challenges you present yourself. It is never boring here. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, yum! The tiramisu sounds incredible with the addition of limoncello liqueur!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Limoncello would make for an amazing tiramisù.

    ReplyDelete
  21. First of all I love your photo! The bottle is beautifu, and the tiramisu is to die for! I'll take this over the classic one any time!

    ReplyDelete
  22. a finer use for limoncello i have never seen. period.

    ReplyDelete
  23. A perfect ending for your bucket list meal, Val! Limoncello in a tiramisu is a brilliant idea.
    And oh my, that photo is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I like your version and it looks so beautiful...winetery...lovely.

    PS: i wanted to do your spinach for my party and my husband forgot to buy what I needed...next time.

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a great idea! I've never had an altered version of tiramisu, but your version sounds lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  26. One of my sons would absolutely love this! I'm bookmarking for his next visit. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. oooohhhh, limoncello... so good!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Tiramisu is one of my top favorites and with lemon this sounds so delicious. I love the photo too, it has a very vintage Christmas feel to it..

    ReplyDelete
  29. I make my own Lemoncello - Italian of course. The Asian markets by us sell lemons and limes very inexpensively. This sound wonderful... will be a regular follower...pop over sometime - Jennifer jennsthreegraces

    ReplyDelete
  30. This looks to die for Val. I would love to be your neighbor and share a piece with you.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my home. Thank you for choosing to stay a while and for sharing our lives through food. I appreciate all your support, comments, suggestions, and daily encouragement.

Val

This blog uses comment moderation therefore SPAMMERS, SELF-PROMOTERS and ADVERTISERS will be deleted.