28 June 2010

Halibut Tacos with Southwestern Slaw for Our Daily Special

Halibut Tacos with Southwestern Slaw for Our Daily Special

To celebrate the upcoming week with a BANG I am joining in on the Foodbuzz Daily Specials  once again. This is the final post in this series for Foodbuzz. It has been fun to follow along. Today's feature on Foodbuzz is an AngleSelect Knife Sharpener like the ones here at CHEFS™ catalogue. When you are cooking a sharp knife is an essential tool for so many tasks. This 3-stage electric knife sharpener is fast and easy to use. It works on your smooth, serrated, Asian and sporting knives. The angle guides keep you within a perfect 15-20 degree angle, so there's no guesswork. Stage 1 at a 15% angle for Asian knives and Stage 2 at 20% for American and European knives hones cutlery to hairsplitting sharpness with diamond coated disks. Revolutional Stage 3 stropping/polishing disk finishes the job with a flawless edge. Lubricant-free so it's a joy to sharpen knives.

With all of that chopping and preparation in the kitchen a sharp knife is an essential tool. Tacos de pescado (fish tacos) originated in Baja California in Mexico, where they consist of grilled or fried fish, lettuce or cabbage, pico de gallo, and a sour cream or citrus/mayonnaise sauce, all placed on top of a corn or flour tortilla.  In California, they are often found at street vendors, but with deep fried and battered local fish with a cabbage and coleslaw dressing on top.

Fresh halibut meat is sparkling white and firm. It is a lean, mild tasting fish whose firm meat holds together well. Halibut cheeks are more tender in texture. This sustainable fish is available throughout the commercial fishing season which takes place from the middle of March to the middle of November. Traditional Mexican recipes do not come much tastier than this fish tacos recipe. You can use tilapia, halibut, or something else with firm flesh. The grill gives a wonderful flavor to both the fish and the tortillas.

You can either serve all the ingredients separately, including the garnishes, so people can help themselves and build their own fish tacos, or you can prepare them all. Serve each person two fish tacos. These fish tacos make a delicious and healthy meal and are sure to be a hit with everybody. The cilantro and lime juice add more Mexican flavour and these aromatic flavours marry well with the fish as well.

I've always tweaked this recipe according to what fish is readily available. Here in British Columbia, salmon and halibut have become my all-time favourites. Don't be a slave to the recipe... buy what's fresh and local. I love to pair these tacos with a lovely bed of baby salad greens with just a little olive oil and lime juice. You could also serve them with traditional Mexican beans and rice or maybe they just "vonta be alone".



** Halibut Tacos**

2 lb fresh British Columbia halibut
1/2 cup peanut oil
1cup flour
2 tablespoons chipotle chili powder
1 ½ teaspoons ground black cumin
1 ½ teaspoons minced garlic
salt and pepper, to taste
8 flour tortillas, 6”
Southwestern Slaw (recipe follows)
1 cup guacamole (use your own recipe)
1/2 cup Mexican Crema (recipe follows)

Preheat a frying pan to medium-high. Combine the flour, chili powder, cumin, garlic, and salt. Toss and coat the halibut cheeks with the flour. Sauté the fish for 2-3 minutes and then flip and cook through, about 1- 1/2 to 2 minutes more.

Grill the tortillas until they have light grill marks (or steam in the microwave or oven) and are heated through, about 15 seconds on the first side. Turn the tortillas and grill them until they just start to bubble, another 15 seconds.

Center 2 pieces of grilled fish on each tortilla with the slaw and Guacamole. Add a dollop of Mexican Crema, fold in half, and serve immediately.

**Southwestern Slaw**

2 cups green cabbage, finely shredded
¼ cup shredded carrot
2 teaspoons lime juice
2 teaspoons rice wine vinegar
2 teaspoons local honey
2 tablespoon red onion, finely minced
2 teaspoons jalapeños, finely minced
2 teaspoon cilantro, chopped
salt and pepper, to taste

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and let sit for 1-2 hours to let the flavours develop.

Mexican Crema

1/2 cup Mexican sour cream
1/2 teaspoon finely grated lime zest

Combine in a bowl and let infuse for at least 2 hours.

Serve with Cedar Creek Estate Ehrenfelser 2009

You are reading this post on More Than Burnt Toast at http://morethanburnttoast.blogspot.com. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to the author/owner of More Than Burnt Toast. All rights reserved by Valerie Harrison. Best Blogger Tips

24 comments:

  1. I've never tried fish tacos but we're trying to eat more fish & these look delicious.

    What is Mexican sour cream?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never had a fish taco before - they look awesome, esp with the slaw

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love this healthier version of fish tacos. Grilled is way better than deep fried, in my opinion. And with all those vegetables you chopped for this, I'm sure that knife sharpener came in handy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm...I could go for one of these for breakfast. They sound so yummy right now. I think I've only made fish tacos once because they're just about everywhere here. I love them with a crunchy cabbage slaw, creamy white sauce and a squirt of lime one after the other.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is one of my favorite meals. Love the slaw that you've used to top the fish. We have lovely halibut available at our fish market right now. This is a perfect way to use it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What gorgeous tacos! I love your choice of fillings! So scrumptious.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds delish.

    Peace, Love and Chocolate
    Tiffany

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it's fabulous you use whatever fish is freshest at the time - it's the only way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Halibut is not a fish we find around here, but I am sure a fresh piece of hake will also do the trick!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, homemade fish tacos...it sure look so tasty...what a great meal :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I finally ate fish tacos for the first time last year but have yet to make them. Your post has inspired me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I adore both halibut and fish tacos. Yours look fabulous! This is going on my "must try" list!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm sure my hubby would just love these!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Delicious! Halibut is one of my very favorite fish and I love fish tacos! I'll have to try this one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nevermind the knife plugs, this post is all fish tacos....rack;em up, i'm coming for dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Valli - your blog is looking fabulous, and the photos are so mouthwatering! The halibut fish tacos are gorgeous, really summery.

    Sorry I don't get to comment as often as I should, but wanted to say that I love reading your posts.
    Nic x

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've been in search of a good fish taco recipe. Looks like I've found it--and a delicious slaw too. Thanks!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  18. These tacos look fantastic Valli, love them! I never made fish tacos! I have to try! huggs gloria

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fish tacos are simply divine and yours look so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Tacos and fish...Halibut no less...now, why didn't I think of that. Funny how something so simple with fresh ingredients is all it takes to satisfy our tummies.
    I do love Halibut and I will try this recipe...well, at least in part...depending on what's in my fridge ;o)
    Flavourful wishes,
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  21. What is Mexican Sour Cream???

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Valerie. I found Mexican sour cream when I was in Omak. It seems to be thicker than regular sour cream but I am quite sure our local sour cream could be substituted.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oooh, hunty I love me some fish tacos. They're the onle thing I've ever cooked (not just reheated) in a microwave, for starters, but they're the perfect healthy indulgence.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I think I really could live on fish tacos alone! Yours sound great with halibut, and the guacamole looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my home. Thank you for choosing to stay a while and for sharing our lives through food. I appreciate all your support, comments, suggestions, and daily encouragement.

Val

This blog uses comment moderation therefore SPAMMERS, SELF-PROMOTERS and ADVERTISERS will be deleted.