4 May 2010

My Version of Broccoli Salad


I am sure there was a better photo here somewhere if I had only taken the time to stage my shot, but I wanted to share this simple salad with you. Truthfully we just wanted to dig in!!! We were that inspired and pretty much forgot our manners to wait until Valli had taken her photos for her blog.

 This version of broccoli salad is light and delicious and makes a perfect accompaniment to your barbecued meats. This is a no-sugar version of your traditional favorite! So much has happened this week I can't wait to share it all with you. In the meantime join us tomorrow for our Cooking Light Virtual Supper Club for more light recipes.
Happy eating!!!!!


**My Version of Broccoli Salad**

4 cups fresh broccoli florets
¼ cup red onion, finely diced
3 tablespoons raisins
2 tablespoons sunflower seeds
¼ cup plain Greek yogurt
1 lemon or orange, zested and juiced
1 tablespoon mayonnaise or subsitute

******************
Combine the broccoli, onions, raisins, orange or lemon zest and sunflower seeds. In a small bowl, whisk the yogurt, orange or lemon juice, and mayonnaise until blended.  Pour over the broccoli mixture and toss to coat.

Serves 8

You are reading this post on More Than Burnt Toast at http://morethanburnttoast.blogspot.com. Content must be credited to this author. Best Blogger Tips

16 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for this sugar-free version! That's usually a big drawback for me (so much sugar in dressings). Great use of yogurt too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I coulod eat that everyday! A great and healthy salad!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely broccoli recipe! gloria

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your version looks and sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for this trimmed down version of one of my favorite salads. Now I can eat it without the guilty conscience.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmm... I bet the sunflower seeds add an awesome nutty crunch to this salad. And the raisins are an awesome addition. I love this salad. I want to make it soon as I get some broccoli.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never had broccoli salad. I've got to give this a try. I love the way you've pared back the calories. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  8. AnonymousMay 04, 2010

    I've never thought to make a broccoli salad - this sounds terrific! My daughter would love it for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  9. and i think it shows how delicious the food is, i think, when the photo is not the point. bet it was yum to dig into.

    ReplyDelete
  10. photo looks pretty good to me - great salad

    ReplyDelete
  11. Do you celebrate this holiday, too - I know it is a holiday in CA and the southern states due to Mexican heritage... but I hadn't heard of it until last month! The broccoli salad looks really great. I love broccoli - and my teeth are so sore lately (two implants) that I can't enjoy the crunchy things I love to enjoy! But soon!
    Thanks for the great recipe!
    Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice! I like the slant towards yogurt and the touch of mayo is just how I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have no idea how much I love that this uses greek yogurt instead of mayo (for the most part!). Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. i really enjoy the yogurt (yay) to mayo (boo) ratio, and the fruity notes must be a great touch. i like your version, val!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very nice recipe: I like the combination of ingredients that boost the broccoli's flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Shame on me, I never think of using broccoli in a salad. This sounds too delicious and simple not to try. Thanks Val.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my home. Thank you for choosing to stay a while and for sharing our lives through food. I appreciate all your support, comments, suggestions, and daily encouragement.

Val

This blog uses comment moderation therefore SPAMMERS, SELF-PROMOTERS and ADVERTISERS will be deleted.