18 May 2010

Mashed Potato Polpetti (Patties)

Mashed Potato Polpetti 
When I was a teenager a Mother's Pizzeria restaurant opened in our neighbourhood. Up until that time there had been only one pizzeria to serve the entire the city. Well maybe there were two..Luigi's and Pepi's.  Pizza crust was served one way...thin crust but with any number of toppings imagineable. Certainly not the pizzas that our kids experience today, but closer to Napoli style. I think I was 11 when I tried my first pizza. My oldest brother brought it home whenever he had a craving. It was something that the whole family could enjoy including my vegetarian Dad. (In case you are wondering I have 2 brothers and a sister). Mother's restaurant served up what we associated with Italian cuisine which was anything with a red sauce...spaghetti and meatballs, oven baked lasagna and other pasta dishes. They even had the new kid on the block, and the latest craze at the time...Chicago-style deep dish pizza. As years have gone by those of us who did not grow up with an Italian "nonna" have discovered that Italian cuisine is not all about pasta and pizza.

 Italian cuisine has developed through the centuries with roots as far back as the 4th century BC. Italy is a dream destination for anyone who loves food and drink.  I have a trip in the works, so we will see what happens. Italians are also known for their use of herbs in cooking, especially oregano, basil, thyme, parsley, rosemary, and sage. Cheese also plays an important role. There are more than 400 types of cheese made in Italy, with Parmesan, mozzarella, and asiago among the best known worldwide. Can you imagine!

In spite of regional differences, Italian food in general is often characterized as being flexible and innovative. For example, no two gnocchi with Bolognese sauce will be quite the same from any two kitchens. First time travellers to Italy may be surprised on finding such an overwhelming diversity in regional foods. It is well worth sampling regional dishes for a bit of authenticity. When eating foods grown and raised in the surrounding countryside and complimented with the local wine, both your travelling and eating experiences will rise to a whole new level. The pride that the Italians have in their locally grown produce, regional specialties and exceptional wine is something that cannot be found at your local grocery store.

This "non-recipe" you find here is a potato dish that really requires only a simple technique. An Italian friend was making it one day and I have had it in mind ever since. I like to serve it for breakfast but she also recommends serving it with gravy. Is Italian gravy with tomato sauce:D It is so easy no real recipe is required.




**Mashed Potato Polpetti (Patties)**

3 cups mashed potatoes
Grey salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup grated Parmesan
Flour, for dredging
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil

Re-season potatoes with salt and pepper, stir in cheese. Take a mayonnaise or peanut butter lid, line with plastic wrap to use as a mold. Pack the potato mixture into the lid, unwrap it and place the patty on a baking sheet. You may refrigerate them covered with plastic wrap until the next day, or fry immediately.

To cook, dredge the patties in flour. Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat, add patties. Just before frying, dredge the patties again with flour.

Add the patties to the oil without crowding them (you may have to cook them in batches). Cook until underside is golden brown, about 5 minutes, flip and brown the other side. Remove from the skillet and drain on paper towels.

Serves 6

You are reading this post on More Than Burnt Toast at http://morethanburnttoast.blogspot.com. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to the author/owner of More Than Burnt Toast. All rights reserved by Valerie Harrison. Best Blogger Tips

29 comments:

  1. With that Parmesan cheese, those potato patties must taste wonderful! A great recipe!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Val, you know I have a soft spot in my heart for potatoes. These Polpetti's are gorgeous. They would be good with fried green tomatoes, but I'm a southern gal. I would also like them for dinner - after all Ina Garten's (The Barefoot Contessa) husband Jeffrey likes hash browns for dinner. Why not?

    Beautiful photo as always.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the potatoes, and yes, there is so much more than red sauce. One thing about the herbs. Parsley is probably the most used herb from north to south, but oregano is not used as much as people might think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, did I smile seeing this!! My Grandma Josie always made these for me an my Uncle Frank- he inhaled them!! And with tomato sauce??? Pure comfort food!
    xoxo Pattie

    ReplyDelete
  5. These remind me of something from my childhood!! Can't wait to try these again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this simple and delicious idea for potatoes. I'm going to try this soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was surprised not to find any butter in this; I guess since you fry them in olive oil, they don't need any more! neat recipe and perfect side dish!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such an easy dish my friends. I would also have them for dinner Sam. I have heard of Italian Gravy which is kind of like all kinds of meat in a tomato sauce(gravy). Thanks also for the tips Angela.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've made "mashed potato pancakes" before, but none that were this simple. Hunh. With a little tomato sauce and some greens this could make quite a lovely meal.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now this is a simple recipe that I think my kids will like. I may even add some garlic to it.

    Peace, Love and Chocolate
    Tiffany

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum, I love the crispy crust that forms as the patties fry. This is one of my favorite ways of serving potatoes, especially for breakfast with eggs.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I recently made mashed-potato pancakes to accompany a quiche. (I was planning to post them in a few weeks!) They must be on everybody's mind. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  13. When these are properly made they are food for the gods. Yours look wonderful. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love cheese, I love potatoes. I am there! By the way, did I tell you how fabulous your blog is looking Val?

    ReplyDelete
  15. What's not to like?

    Glad you use OO instead of butter.
    LL

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm hungry right now.. and this isn't helping to curb my appetite. Your blog looks beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. love these! the parmesan is a great add--your little patties look perfect. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I can't even remember when I tried my first pizza, it was so long ago. Probably before I even knew what I was tasting, if I know my parents. But I think it is very cute that you remember yours!

    These mashed potato patties look delicious, especially with those fresh tomatoes you've got there.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Mhh, I never made potato this way, what a wonderful idea. I can imagine how delicious it is.

    ReplyDelete
  20. AnonymousMay 19, 2010

    Such yummy mashed potato cakes! I like the addition of Parmesan cheese! My mom makes similar cakes with a filling, either meat or veggie.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I loved Mother's Pizza, until I worked there!

    Sadly they are all gone but we still have these taters!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I definitely share your passion for potatoes in all shapes and sizes...this is just another gorgeous recipe to try, thx for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Delcious with a green salad! you are making me hungry now.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi

    Unfortunately I have some very sad news about Rosie from Baking Cakes Galore. Could you please pass by my blog. I have written up a tribute for her on my blog and would like everyone who knew her to leave a comment as I will be printing out all the comments to send onto her husband.

    Maria
    x

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ooh! I love this idea as a side for a nice winter dish! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Now add just a touch of tarragon and I'm there! But, I'm really easy when it comes to a potato!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love potatoes in any form - this would be a great one for me!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow, these potato patties look so incredibly delicious! I would love to try them sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I LOVE mashed potato patties, Val. These look delicious and I think they will be on MY mind now - thankfully I have a bag of potatoes in the kitchen!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my home. Thank you for choosing to stay a while and for sharing our lives through food. I appreciate all your support, comments, suggestions, and daily encouragement.

Val

This blog uses comment moderation therefore SPAMMERS, SELF-PROMOTERS and ADVERTISERS will be deleted.