15 March 2010

Grilled Guinness Marinated Steak with Colcannon-Stuffed Twice Baked Potatoes to Celebrate

Grilled Guinness Marinated Steak with
Colcannon Stuffed Twice Baked Potatoes

Happy St. Paddy's Day!!! As far as I know I haven't a single Irish bone in my body but I celebrate on this day along with millions of other Irish and non-Irish Canadians. Regardless of your heritage, you're prob­ably very aware of St. Patrick's Day which is the traditional Irish holiday celebrated March 17th each and every year. Revellers will be observing this festive day by wearing green or meeting up with their friends at their favorite local Irish pub and drinking green beer tomorrow.


However you choose to celebrate I hope the luck 'o' the Irish follows you each and every day.

"May you live to be a hundred years
With one extra year to repent."


St. Patrick was the patron saint and national apostle of Ireland who is credited with bringing Christianity to Ireland. The holiday has come to be associated with everything Irish... anything green and gold, shamrocks and luck. And what about leprechauns, faeries and the banshee?

There's a lot more to St. Patrick's Day than wearing green and knocking back a pint of Guinness. Although this is a good way to celebrate! Have one for me!!!­ Most importantly, to those who celebrate, the intended meaning of St. Patrick's Day is a traditional day for spiritual renewal and the offering of prayers for missionaries worldwide. The biggest observance of all is, of course, in Ireland. With the exception of restaurants and pubs, almost all businesses close on March 17.

I choose to celebrate St. Patrick's Day with FOOD!!!!What do you think of when you think of Irish food? I think of a good plain meal consisting of a trio of meat, vegetables and potatoes which became the symbol of comfort in Ireland after the Great Famine.  If you’re looking for some traditional Irish food this St. Patrick’s Day, skip the corned beef and cabbage. The dish is an American invention, although delicious.

The Irish have given us the finest poets and writers, and their instinct toward lyrical music inherent in their language spices their food.  Start St. Patrick's day over a hearty Irish breakfast, then plan for tea with scones and a fine word or two from a poem by Yeats or the lyric prose of Joyce, and finish the day with a meal of homemade Irish soda bread, a steak, and, of course, a potato dish. Their food is actually lighter than you may think. Top off the meal with a warming Irish whiskey or better yet a Guinness whose humble brew adds smoky, spicy flavor to recipes both sweet and savoury. As you're raising a pint of Guinness for St. Patrick's Day, remember to save some beer for cooking.

"May you live as long as you want,
And never want as long as you live."


Happy St. Patrick's Day!!!!!

Make this St. Patrick's Day unforgettable with these Irish-inspired recipes.


**Grilled Steak with Guinness Marinade**

1 rib eye steak (12 ounce)
2 garlic cloves
1 teaspoon shallots
1 tablespoon Vidalia onion
1/4 teaspoon fresh or dried rosemary
1/4 teaspoon parsley
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
4 ounces Guinness Stout Beer room temperature
1 ounce Tamari soy sauce
1/8 teaspoon black pepper coarse grind

Finely chop garlic, shallot and onion and place in a small bowl. Finely chop parsley and rosemary and add to the bowl. Add the Worcestershire sauce, Dijon mustard, Guinness beer, Tamari and seasonings then mix well to combine. Let stand for 30 minutes to blend flavours.

Pour marinade into large resealable plastic bag. Add steaks, seal bag, and chill up to 1 day, turning bag occasionally.

Pre heat the grill and cook the steak. A thermometer inserted into center should register 125°F to 130°F for medium-rare, about 5 minutes per side. Transfer steaks to carving board and let rest 5 minutes.

Place the remaining marinade in a small saucepan on the grill and reduce it for one or two minutes until slightly thickened. Add more beer to the marinade at this stage if desired. Slice steaks thinly across grain. Arrange on platter. Pour sauce over the steak and serve.

** This marinade recipe is enough for one steak. Multiply as necessary.

Colcannon-Stuffd Twice Baked Potatoes

**Colcannon-Stuffed Twice Baked Potatoes**
loosely based on a recipe by Rebecca at Foodie With Family

14 medium sized all-purpose potatoes
1 small head white or green cabbage, chopped
1 cooking onion, chopped
1 cup warm whole milk
½ cup warm cream or half and half
3 tablespoons butter (for cabbage)
¼ cup butter, melted (for mashed potatoes)
1 cup shredded extra sharp Cheddar cheese
salt and pepper to taste
sliced green onions

Preheat oven to 375F. Wash potatoes, prick all over with a fork. Rub lightly with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and place on a rimmed sheet pan.

Bake for about 45 minutes or until they pierce easily all the way through with a skewer. Allow to sit and cool slightly while working on cabbage

Melt 3 tablespoons butter in a heavy-bottomed skillet over medium-high heat. Add cabbage to the pan. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste and toss to coat. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes. Add diced onions and toss to coat. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until the cabbage is tender and beginning to brown. Remove from heat and turn your attention back to the potatoes.

Cut each potato in half so that they will lay, cut side up, on a sheet pan. With a spoon, scoop most of the insides of each potato into a bowl, leaving a ¼” thick potato shell. Mash or rice the potatoes in the bowl.Add the warm milk, cream and melted ¼ cup of butter to the potatoes and toss with a fork until evenly mixed. Add the shredded Cheddar cheese, and the cabbage and onion mixture to the potatoes and stir to combine. Preheat your oven to 375F (or simply lower the heat if it is still going from baking the potatoes.)

Use an ice cream scoop or a spoon to fill the potato shells. Lightly spread the colcannon filling so that it mounds and covers the entire cut surface of the potato. Bake for 30 minutes or until hot all the way through and lightly browned on top. Serve topped with thinly sliced green onions. Alternatively, cover lightly with plastic wrap and place in freezer until frozen solid. Transfer frozen potatoes to a freezer ziplocked bag and store in freezer for up to three months.

You are reading this post on More Than Burnt Toast at http://morethanburnttoast.blogspot.com. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to the author/owner of More Than Burnt Toast. All rights reserved by Valerie Harrison.
Best Blogger Tips

45 comments:

  1. Always nice to not see yet another dish of corned beef and cabbage. Yay you for being creative. That steak looks so beautiful. Couldn't be more perfectly cooked.

    I went to Ireland a few years ago and was suprised at how good the food was. The brown bread with that lovely butter rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That steak is drool-worthy! And I really like the idea of stuffing potatoes with the Colcannon- fabulous!
    xoxo Pattie

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks like such a great and comfort meal.

    I have to try the marinade next time I make steaks. Sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The luck of the Irish to you too!

    This is a terrific dinner. I love the preparation for both components. Traditional ingredients with a contemporary execution.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love those colcannon potatoes -- what a great idea, and a meal all by themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love , love, love this Val! The colcannon stuffed potatoes look amazing and I especially like the use of Guiness as a marinade...so clever!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really brilliant way to stuff that potato!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The meat marinade with Guinness really sounds superb!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh this is definitely dinner this week-and it sounds like a keeper not just for St Paddy's day-beautiful job Val
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are two great St. Patty's day recipes! I'm going to have to try the Guiness marinade one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Guinness started flowing yesterday with the parade. That steak would be good anytime of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That sounds like a great plan for celebrating St. Patrick's day. I'd love to start with breakfast and work right through to the Irish Whiskey or Guinness finish. Thanks for the great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Everybody is Irish on St. Paddy's day! I love the Guinness and steak recipe...something about guinness with beef just makes my head spin. I like your twist on colcannon...you can never go wrong with twice baked potatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  14. A wonderful meal for St. Patrick's day! I love the idea of Guinness marinade!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just posted a colcannon recipe that I made with a Jameson whiskey-braised pork shoulder but I very much like the idea of stuffing the colcannon into a potato skin! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  16. There are very few things I have not found adequate (or way better) substitutions for here - a good baking potato continues to elude me.... I can do the steak tho ;-))

    ReplyDelete
  17. lovely homage to the land of ire! those potatoes must be delicious enough to make one weak in the knees. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Guiness marinade sounds great. I poached fresh sausages in Guiness with greens. The sweetness must go great with charred steak too. Making me hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love this meal! I am going to make it one day and invite Mary my Irish neighbor over; she and I will drink to your health and enjoy it totally!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Now a meal can't get more Irish than this one :-). It looks and sounds delicious. Erin Go Bragh.

    ReplyDelete
  21. That's such a beautiful meal. Love the steak marinade. Must try.

    ReplyDelete
  22. There was one big problem with this post: you did not list what time I should be at your door with dinner. lol. This feast looks and sounds amazing! I have always wanted to make colcannon on my own. My grandfather was Irish and would make it and it is such a delicious dish.
    Everything looks perfect and Happy St. Patrick's Day to you.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Mmmm, I love your recipe Valli!!! I'm also a potatoes maniac and that meat looks fantastic :D. Happy St. Patricks day to you t♥♥.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I don't have any Irish blood either, but that certainly wouldn't stop me from scarfing down that Irish feast - I'd much rather have your steaks than corned beef! It all looks so good. Happy St. Paddy's Day!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. That colcannon idea is dang brilliant in the tato!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Happy San Paddy's day dear Valli.
    This look delicious! hugss! gloria

    ReplyDelete
  27. It's been ages since I made twice-baked potatoes. Those look delicious! And the steak sounds amazing. I'm drooling!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Valli, as always this looks delicious beyond belief. I am Irish and I wish you good luck and good fortune!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Simply stunning Val!! I could imagine eating this while guzzling a pint or two of Guinness!! Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  30. OMG! Forget the corned beef and cabbage! This dinner looks fabulous! I am so making this tonight! Well done, Val!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Happy St. Paddy's Day to you! No Irish blood here, either, but who cares, right? Love the marinade for the steak, and what a great idea for the colcannon. We're celebrating on Friday this year (how lame is that?) so I can drink Irish beer with my 80+ year old father in law whom I cook corned beef for every year. I just may do this version of colcannon instead!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I adore colcannon - such a great idea to use it to stuff twice baked potatoes! Brilliant!! Your guinness marinade sounds heavenly too - I love cooking with Guinness... I couldn't agree with you more about the perfect Irish day you described - yay for Yeats and Joyce!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  33. What a nice tribute to St. Patrick's Day. And, a good reminder for prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Your Guinness marinade sounds fantastic and what a great way to do the Colcannon! Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  35. perfect St. Paddy's day dinner, Val! Love the sound of the guiness steak, especially.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Oh Val, your twice baked potatoes make me hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  37. What a lovely post for this green Irish day. Top O' The Evenin' to Ya!
    Looks really yummy. Wish I had been so innovative today.
    :)
    Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  38. I have no idea what Irish food is...other than I'm sure there's guiness in it. Your dish sounds really delicious, very unusual for me.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Hope you had a great St. Patrick's day. Sorry I didn't get by yesterday. Please email me one of those potatoes. They have my name on them.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  40. What a great St. Patrick's day feast! Snaps to you for thinking outside the corned beef box!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Oh wow Val, I wish I would have eaten with you on St. Pattys Day!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Ooooh my kind of food - I love both the steak those potatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  43. This would be a really nice St Patrick's day meal! The baked stuffed colcannan potatoes are a great idea!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my home. Thank you for choosing to stay a while and for sharing our lives through food. I appreciate all your support, comments, suggestions, and daily encouragement.

Val

This blog uses comment moderation therefore SPAMMERS, SELF-PROMOTERS and ADVERTISERS will be deleted.