1 March 2010

Bean Salad with a Touch of Greek

Bean Salad with a Touch of Greek

During its 106-day journey across Canada, the Olympic Torch Relay travelled through all Canadian provinces and territories, covering more than 45,000 km. With it's journey it gathered the hearts of all Canadians to assemble for the 17 day 2010 Winter Olympic Games in Vancouver, British Columbia. The games have unified Canadians from coast-to-coast-to-coast and generated a feeling of national pride that will endure long after the flames have been extinguished. We have never seen so many Canadian flags waving uncharacteristically in the history of our country.



During the games there have been tears of tragic loss and tears of joy and pride for all nations. We will remember names like Nodar Kumaritashvili , Joannie Rochette, Sidney Crosby and so many more.  The games are now over but we are happy that spectators and athletes alike came to visit . It was the moment to show people, that even if you weren’t in the stadium, you were part of the Olympic Games in Vancouver. I humbly speak for all Canadians when I say we enjoyed your stay. Thank you!!!!

To commemorate the games and it's history I offer a Greekified version of a quintessential bean salad. Grains and bean salad often call for lots of punchy ingredients.  This is a loosely defined version of a Greek salad where sun-dried tomatoes step in for fresh in this "ode to winter salad" with olives, peppers and feta cheese vamping up the Greek factor. Because many of the ingredients such as olives and feta are salty I suggest making the dressing salt free.

***Bean Salad with a Touch of Greek**

2 cups (500 ml) cooked dry white beans, Great Northern recommended, chickpeas or cannelini beans
1/2 cup (125 ml) diced sweet red pepper, fresh or jarred
1/4 cup (50 ml) black olives, pitted and quartered
3 tablespoon (45 ml) diced sun-dried tomatoes
1/2 cup (125 ml) crumbled feta cheese
1 green onion, thinly sliced
1/4 cup (50 ml) finely chopped parsley

Dressing:

1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon(5 ml) Dijon mustard
1/4 teaspoon (1 ml) dried oregano or (1 Tbsp./15 ml) fresh oregano
1/4 teaspoon (1 ml) freshly ground pepper
2 tablespoon (30 ml) wine vinegar
1/3 cup (75 ml) extra virgin olive oil

To make dressing: In a jar with a screw top lid, shake together garlic, mustard, oregano, pepper, vinegar and olive oil. (Make-ahead: Refrigerate for up to 3 days. Shake before using.)

In a large bowl, gently combine beans, red pepper, olives, tomatoes, green onion and feta. Drizzle dressing over bean mixture; toss to combine. (Make-ahead: Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 2 days.) Add the parsley and toss.

Serves 4 -6

You are reading this post on More Than Burnt Toast at http://morethanburnttoast.blogspot.com. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to the author/owner of More Than Burnt Toast. All rights reserved by Valerie Harrison. Best Blogger Tips

28 comments:

  1. Being Italian, bean salads are a staple here. This looks wonderful!!
    xoxo Pattie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that touch of feta you added. I must try this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Valli, I so enjoyed this post - such a beautiful tribute to the spirit of the games! I'm also quite excited about fixing your gorgeous bean salad - so healthful and refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This would be delicious for my lunch with a nicely buttered slice of crusty bread! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds yummy! I love the idea of a bean salad.. especially with great northern, or cannelini would be yummy too! I interchange the two often.
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yumm. I have all the fixing for this.Delish.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The feta and black olives really complement the beans and the vinaigrette brings it all together. Very nice, Val.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the idea of adding sun-dried tomatoes. It's an ingredient I like, but don't seem to use often enough.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i prefer bean salads much more than bean stews (which is how we mainly eat our beans here in crete)

    bean salads are more versatiole and can be enjoyed throughout the year

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love bean salad - love Greek salad! Love the way you've combined them, Val. I know this will be a well received recipe at my dinner table. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the title!! Looks a good one

    ReplyDelete
  12. Delicious, Val! For all the beans I eat, I admit I don't eat bean salads all that often. This one looks great, though.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I adore all of the bright refreshing flavors in this bean salad. It's wonderfully healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. My daughter had such a nice time watching the games together. Your salad bursting with big yummy flavors. This is my kind of salad!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. seems like much more than a touch of greek to me, but then, it's all greek to me. hardy har har. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm all over this salad for a backyard party or picnic.

    PS...kudos to Vancouver and Whistler for the best winter Olympics ever!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This sounds lovely and simple - just the sort of thing I can do quickly after work.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This bean salad looks super good Val and super good for you. I loved the Olympics and Canada was a wonderful host. I'm sad to see it over.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Everything is better Greekified! Delish.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Mmmmmmmm, you've done it again Val!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Bean salads are a favourite and I always look for different ideas to "dress" them up! Love the Greek flavours here Val! And congrats to Canada for putting on a wonderful games!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Canada was such a gracious host for the Olympics! Very special, indeed.

    I love your bean salad. It looks so flavorful and healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What is Home Sense? Is that some kind of crazy Canadian furniture store? ;)

    I want this bean salad! Packed with protein and fiber. It looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  24. The Winter games have been Superb Valli! We enjoyed seeing some of the sports now and then :D.

    I'm having a beans salad today for lunch too :D. Our brains are cyberconnected ;D. Should try it your way... I'm drooling!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ha...ha... Home Sense is owned by Winners so it is similar without all the damaged home decorations for sale:D

    ReplyDelete
  26. Salty and refreshing! I like this so much better than the jarred, sugary three-bean salads popular here in the U.S.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Mouthwatering salad! Love the addition of olives and feta.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Val this salad totally caught my eye. Its something great to take to a potluck or a picnic. Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my home. Thank you for choosing to stay a while and for sharing our lives through food. I appreciate all your support, comments, suggestions, and daily encouragement.

Val

This blog uses comment moderation therefore SPAMMERS, SELF-PROMOTERS and ADVERTISERS will be deleted.