5 February 2010

Chocolate Nutella Semifreddo for World Nutella Day

Chocolate Nutella Semifreddo

If Ellen Degeneres is trying to achieve world domination through her show ELLEN she will have to push past Nutella on her way up. Ellen wants to be seen in every country around the world, but Nutella is a special treat that has already achieved world domination and is adored the world over!!!!It rocks the foodie world and dominates the blog world today. I am sure you aware that since 2007 Nutella has had it's own day!!!!! February 5th is World Nutella Day which is the brainchild of Sara from Ms. Adventures in Italy and Michelle from Bleeding Espresso (and Shelley from At Home in Rome, in spirit). They solemnly declare February 5th “World Nutella Day 2010″ which is a day to celebrate, to get creative with, and most importantly, to EAT Nutella. Happy Nutella Day!!!!!!!!World domination is inevitable...resistance is futile!!

As we all know Nutella is that hazelnut spread that we longed for as children smeared onto warm bread fresh from the oven or inbetween crepes with strawberries or banana. As if a spoonful of this chocolate-hazelnut spread gianduja isn’t delicious enough straight off the spoon!!!! Think Nutella and Ferrero Rocher!!!! Nutella is the brand name of a hazelnut-based sweet spread created by the Italian company Ferrero in the 1940s. At the time, chocolate was very limited due to World War II. Nutella is now marketed in over 75 countries across the globe. Other countries even have their own versions of this spread so as you can see it is well on it's way to world domination.

I have wanted to prepare a Nutella Semifreddo for a while now. Semifreddo is Italian for "half cold", and can refer to many semi-frozen desserts. This semifreddo straddles several desserts classifications; its mousselike texture is similar to ice cream, but is lighter, airier, and less frozen. I always enjoy ice cream recipes that do not rely on an ice-cream maker, and this one does not. Until this past weekend I was "freezerless". The only freezer space I had was the tiny space above the refigerator which as you can imagine was jam packed with leftovers and vegetables frozen at the height of their season and peak of freshness. As time wore on the liner for my Donvier ice cream maker was pushed out and rendered useless at the back of the cupboard. But hurrah I now have a small freezer and the possibilities are endless!!!! You will be seeing many more frozen dishes here on MTBT.

My first foray will be semifreddo in honour of World Nutella Day. I have had a recipe waiting in the wings but came across this recipe from our friend Susan at Sticky, Gooey, Creamy, Chewy. I adjusted the recipe a little to suit my needs and what I already had available, but I hope that Susan would be proud. I didn't have any of the delicious chocolate liqueur she mentioned so used frangelico instead which I found  goes very well with the Nutella. This dessert is rich, chocolaty and delicious which also makes it perfect for Valentine's Day coming up. Grab your honey and whip up something that will make his/her heart melt.

** Chocolate Nutella Semifreddo**

4 large eggs
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 13 ounce (400 fram) jar Nutella
1 cup heavy cream, whipped to soft peaks
1 tablespoon liqueur (I used Frangelico)
2 oz. milk and white chocolate, shaved
1/2 cup roasted pistachio nuts, coarsely chopped

Line a mold of your choice with plastic wrap, taking care to leave about a 3 inch length hanging over the edge.

Heat Nutella in the microwave for about 20-25 seconds to soften it up. Set aside.

Place eggs and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer. Place mixing bowl over a pot of simmering water and whisk until the eggs are warm, about 2 minutes.

Place the bowl in mixer stand. Using the whisk attachment, whip the eggs on high speed until pale and tripled in volume, about 5 minutes.

(At this point whip the whipped cream to the soft peak stage)

Add the Nutella and the chocolate liqueur to the egg mixture and mix on low speed until blended.

Gently fold in the whipped cream, shaved chocolate and 1/2 cup chopped nuts.
Scrape mixture into the mold and spread evenly. Top with more shaved chocolate. Cover top of mold with plastic wrap and freeze for at least 8 hours or overnight.

If you enjoy Nutella you will love:

Nutella Swirl Poundcake
Mascarpone Brownies with Nutella and Toasted Hazelnut Topping


You are reading this post on More Than Burnt Toast at http://morethanburnttoast.blogspot.com. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to the author/owner of More Than Burnt Toast. All rights reserved by Valerie Harrison. Best Blogger Tips

32 comments:

  1. When the world gets me down, when everything is a mess, all I have to do is realize there is such a thing as World Nutella Day and suddenly everything is just perfect!

    Lovely dessert. Even though it's on the brink of a big snowstorm right now, I could totally go for this frozen concoction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This look absolutely decadent and yummy Valla!! Kids love Nutella and we too!! nice and delicious!
    bookmarked, gloria

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Val, your Semifreddo is to die for. World Nutella day - how clever of them with such a promotion.

    When we were in France, you wouldn't have believed how much space in their aisle was devoted to Nutella. Jars and jars of every conceivable size. The French must love their Nutella. Come to think of it, it would be good on a fresh slice of a French baguette.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  4. Divine! A Semifreddo that I'd gobble with much pleasure!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm always proud of you, Val! You do an amazing job here on MTBT! I'm so flattered that you liked this recipe enough to try it. It looks dreamy! Happy World Nutella Day! (I'm waiting for the sun to come out so that I can photograph my offering.) :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would have a portion of that right now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I prepared crepes today .. and crepes with Nutella is a classic - though I make my own chocolate and hazlenut spread.

    ReplyDelete
  8. With the Frangelico that must be delicious Val. This is such a great event. We always have a jar of Nutella in the house.

    Have a great week-end!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fabulous dessert! Happy Nutella Day to you Valli!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i, for one, wouldn't mind living in a world dominated by nutella. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooooh, this looks fab and a must add addition to my semi-freddo repertoire. Happy Nutella Day Val!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oooohhh! I like what you've done!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just missed this event totally......I cannot believe we are in February already!!!!Semi-fredo looks divine!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have never heard of Semifreddo before. It looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Val, this looks so good! Nutella in an ice cream is better than the original!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my! One look at this and I'm smitten! I must make this....

    ReplyDelete
  17. A perfectly delicious treat for Nutella day!

    ReplyDelete
  18. So this is my day! I am a big fan of nutella! And this is a very nice treat for us all!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I was going to celebrate this year, but things just got too crazy. But I'm celebrating via all the wonderful Nutella recipes I'm seeing online, including yours!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I must be the only person in the world who has never eaten nutella! This looks absolutely delicious and a great recipe for a large group.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Now THAT is wicked... ;)

    It begs to be made, though, so I think that's just what I'm going to have to do! Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm so sad that Nutella Day came and went so fast this year - I always participate and I totally forgot! Anyway, this semifreddo looks out of this world! Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Delicious! I have always wanted to try a semi-freddo.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I grew up on Nutella...my mom used to pack me up Nutella sandwiches for lunch, lol. This dessert looks amazing!! Yay for Nutella!

    ReplyDelete
  25. The semifreddo is more than wonderful and is full of lovely ingredients too.

    ReplyDelete
  26. This looks fantastic! I am so in love with Nutella. I would love to try this recipe!!

    Oh BTW, I love your sidebar changes. It makes it so easy to find great recipes!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love Semifreddo even if I did miss World Nutella Day, this is a keeper! :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow, does that look decadent!! I've never made semifreddo, but your recipe doesn't look too complicated. I think I can handle it! I'm going to try this when the weather warms up!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oooh that looks so delish! I need to make this one for sure!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Nutella semifredo is the coolest idea. Love pistachio nuts too.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Yum yum and yum. Thank you *so* much for sending this in!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi! Your semifreddo recipe was nominated as one of the "Best 300 Semifreddo Recipes on the Net". To vote for it, please visit http://easyitalianrecipes.org/dessert-recipes/best-300-italian-semifreddo-recipes-on-the-net-vote-for-your-favorite/ - your recipe is positioned at #49 (random order).

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my home. Thank you for choosing to stay a while and for sharing our lives through food. I appreciate all your support, comments, suggestions, and daily encouragement.

Val

This blog uses comment moderation therefore SPAMMERS, SELF-PROMOTERS and ADVERTISERS will be deleted.