21 January 2010

A Recipe for British Columbia Applesauce Apple Muffins

British Columbia Applesauce Apple Muffins

If I were to have any New Year resolutions one would be to clear out my draft posts here on More Than Burnt Toast. It is safe to say I have hundreds if not thousands of recipes waiting in the wings for me to either post or create in my own kitchen. The problem there is I am always coming across new recipes to try, new ingredients, and more ideas to add to the evergrowing lists. I am sure you can all relate. More Than Burnt Toast is full of ideas and is bursting at the seams!!!! In a few short weeks it will celebrate it's 3rd year blogiversary and it is highly unlikely that I will have my drafts cleared and "swept" out by Chinese New Year to start afresh and bring me good luck!!!!


Bringing you this one recipe will be a good start. This recipe for muffins has been waiting for it's moment to shine since October when the trees were laden with crisp, ripe apples. British Columbia has some of the best weather in Canada which means we also have a lengthy growing season.

Across British Columbia fresh fruit and berries flourish in the summer months. The Okanagan Valley where I live is best known for peaches, pears and apples where the Saanich Peninsula on Vancouver Island and the Fraser Valley are known for their tasty berries; strawberries, blueberries, tayberries, wild blackberries, cranberries and more.

About 98% of BC apples are produced in the Okanagan-Similkameen valleys. The warm, dry summers and cooler falls here are perfect for nature to create apples with an attractive finish and crisp, juicy, flavourful flesh.  The low rainfall level also reduces the impact of disease. Most orchards are on slopes near lakes which creates a micro-climate which moderates the temperatures and reduces the risk of winter injury and spring frost. BC produces about 30% of the apples grown in Canada. I remember as a child being able to purchase BC apples from the Sears catalogue to send to your family overseas or on the other side of the country, or to purchase for yourself.

With names like Ambrosia, Sunrise, Jonagold, Aurora, Fuji and Golden Gala, British Columbia’s apples sound as sumptuous as they taste. Commercial growers produce an estimated 20 to 25 varieties of this popular tree fruit, but hundreds of other types ripen on hobby farms and backyard branches. Saltspring Islanders in the Gulf Islands claim to grow 350 different kinds of organic apples, including heritage apples, on their southern island off the coast. Heritage apples refer to any apple variety that was growing before 1900. These apple varieties were all chance seedlings and as such grew without any human intervention. They are the gifts of mother nature. I have even seen heirloom apples with red flesh. Wouldn't that make a prize-winning pie!!!!

Aerlie Red Flesh, Apricot Apple, Arkansas Black Starkspur, Arlet, Ashmead's Kernel, Baldwin, Baldwin Red Flesh, Belle de Boskoop, Blenheim Orange, Blushing Golden, Braeburn, Brownlee's Russett, Burgundy, Chenango Strawberry, Cortland, Cox Orange Pippin, Discovery, Duchess of Oldenburg, Emerald Spire, Empire, Esopus Spitzenburg, Freyburg, Fuji, Gala, Golden Delicious, Golden Nugget, Granny Smith, Hall's Pink, Hawaii, Jefferis, Johnathon, Jonagold, Jonalicious, Kandil Sinap, Kensei, Kestrel, Kidd's Orange, King, Lady, Liberty, MacFree, Macoun, Mantet, Melrose, Merton Beauty, Mollies Delicious, Mott's Pink, Muscadet de Dieppe, Mutsu, Newton, Northern Spy, Orenco, Pink Pearl, Pink Pearmain, Pitmaston's Pineapple, Prima, Red Belle de Boskoop, Red Gravenstein, Rubinette, Sandow, Spartan, Summerred, Sunrise, Suntan, Thornberry, Tolman Sweet, Tsugaru, Tumanga, Tydeman Red, Vander Pool Red, Wadhurst Pippin, Wealthy, Webster's Pink Meat, William's Pride, Winter Banana, Wolf River, York Imperial

These muffins did not last long here in the MTBT household. They were moist, healthy and delicious. Warm from the oven they were even delicious with a little gelato and caramel sauce. This is an easy bake recipe, ideal for kids interested in helping make school lunches or for you to make-ahead for breakfast and freeze.

**Applesauce Apple Muffins**

2 cups (500 mL) all-purpose flour
3/4 cup (175 mL) granulated sugar
2 teaspoon (10 mL) baking powder
1/2 teaspoon (2 mL) baking soda
1/2 teaspoon (2 mL) ground cinnamon, optional
1/4 teaspoon (1 mL) salt
1 large egg
1 cup (250 mL) applesauce, unsweetened preferred
1/3 cup (75 mL) canola oil
1/2 cup (125 mL) diced peeled and cored apple
1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped walnut halves

Cinnamon Crunch Topping:

4 teaspoon (20 mL) granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon (2 mL) ground cinnamon

Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners or grease; set aside.

In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda , cinnamon, if using, and salt.

In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, applesauce and oil. Pour over the dry ingredients. Sprinkle the diced apple and walnuts over the wet ingredients and with a wooden spoon, swiftly and neatly stir the ingredients until just blended.

Scoop into the prepared muffin tins.

Cinnamon Crunch Topping: Stir together the sugar and cinnamon. Spoon a generous 1/4 tsp (1 mL) over each scoop of muffin batter.

Bake in the centre of a 375°F (190°C) oven until domed, firm to the touch and fragrant, about 20 minutes.

Let cool in pans on rack for about 5 minutes; remove from pans to cool on a rack. (Make-ahead: Let cool; store in airtight container for up to 3 days. Or wrap in quality plastic wrap, then enclose in a freezer container. Freeze for up to 2 weeks.)

 Makes 12 muffins.

You are reading this post on More Than Burnt Toast at http://morethanburnttoast.blogspot.com. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to the author/owner of More Than Burnt Toast. All rights reserved by Valerie Harrison.
Best Blogger Tips

33 comments:

  1. I don't have anywhere near that many drafts in my folder! These look good Val..nice, moist and healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These muffins sound really moist and wonderful with apple sauce and I love the cinnamon crunch topping!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These apple muffins look so flavorful and moist, and I especially like the addition of the walnuts. I think I have some applesauce in the freezer that's just waiting to be turned into muffins.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are filled with apple goodness! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Winter is apples! Thank you for this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They looks fabulous! A great recipe! I bet those muffins are moist...

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have an entire folder on my computer of blog posts just waiting to be written. Life gets so ahead of us sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't have quite as many drafts as you, but then again I am cooking for one so there's only so much food I can consume. I do have a few things in the wings that need to get cleared out though.

    This recipe looks fantastic! I love ambrosia apples by the way. They are my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can relate to all the drafts :-).....Oh well, life is all about progressing and moving ahead! I love apple bakes

    ReplyDelete
  10. if apples and cinnamon are involved, i'm on board. i love the texture of your creation here, val--these puppies look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It amazes me just how many varieties of apples are out there! I'm so glad your apple muffins got their turn to shine. The recipe looks delightful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. The crumb topping is always my favorite part on any muffin but there is something extra special about a apple muffin to me. I am hopelessly addicted to apples, my favorite being the Pink Lady.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yum, I love applesauce muffins. I think I'll can some applesauce this year - unsweetened.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your apple muffins look absolutely delightful. A perfect snack or grab'n go breakfast with a good cup of coffee.

    P.S. I do relate to all the fabulous recipes that are in draft waiting to be prepared.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My kind of muffin! Actually, I was just looking at my Canadian Living Everyday Favourites cookbook and they have a very similar recipe. I'm going to compare the two and pick one!

    ReplyDelete
  16. My goodness those muffins look delicious! I think apples are my favorite fruit!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I didn't know all of those fun facts about Canadian apples. These apple sauces muffins look terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have pages of photos waiting to have the recipe written - and then I forget what I did....
    My mother always made Apple Cakes in the fall which I loved. We live in a big apple and walnut area (and plum) These sound great - I need to start baking sweet things again. Thanks for the inspiration (like I needed something to ad to MY list)

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a wonderful position to be in with all these backlogged post. I have some too (pics & notes) but I'm going to try & discipline myself to get the recipes in draft.

    If I do, do I get a dozen of muffins?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your muffins look so pretty in the photo! I love the papers too! I also love the simple ingredients in the recipe - something I always have on hand!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am happy to hear I am not the only one with recipes and posts pending:D It will be our mission for 2010...however fruitless.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Interesting stuff about the apples, Val - enjoyed reading.

    And the muffins? I'm right there! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I know what you mean by draft posts! I dont have 100s or thousands but I do have a serious backlog and for some of the photos, I cant even remember the recipe!! The muffins look so lovely and tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great muffins! I was in the Okanagan over 20 years ago and was thrilled at all the wonderful, and huge!, produce.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I have NO drafts in my folder. Lots of ideas on my computer, but only about 2 things written down- in notepad. You are so organized!!

    Love your apple muffins; double apples inside and then a lovely crunchy topping. Perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh I bet these were moist, YUM.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Serious Yum! I've gotta make these for my baby boy. He loves all baked goods but apple best of all!

    ReplyDelete
  28. These sound really good! I have this applesauce spice cake recipe that I just love and this reminds me of it! I can't wait to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I have so many recipes to try also Val. I can't wait what's coming up on your blog. Those look so good.

    ReplyDelete
  30. These look delicious Val, and I have heaps of leftover apple sauce in my fridge that needs a home - this looks like it.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love your resolution, lol. I can totally relate to all of the recipes piling up!

    These muffins are beauties! My kids would devour them!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I made them for breakfast! SO GOOD!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my home. Thank you for choosing to stay a while and for sharing our lives through food. I appreciate all your support, comments, suggestions, and daily encouragement.

Val

This blog uses comment moderation therefore SPAMMERS, SELF-PROMOTERS and ADVERTISERS will be deleted.