31 August 2009

Lightened up Tuna Panini

Lightened up Tuna Panini

L'il Burnt Toast comes to lunch fairly often. Last week I invited her for what turned out to be "tuna day", where almost everything gracing the table seemed to contain tuna. There is my Tuna, White Bean Salad with Herb-Caper Pesto taking up the rear.

Many people feel that it is healthier to eat tuna packed in water instead of tuna packed in oil, yet it is generally agreed that tuna packed in oil has a better flavor and texture. However, it has been shown that tuna packed in oil mixed with 1 tablespoon of mayonnaise is actually lower in fat than tuna packed in spring water and mixed with 2 tablespoons of mayonnaise. Starting with tuna packed in oil allows people to use less mayonnaise to achieve the desired consistency and taste, thereby cutting down on fat and calories and providing a better tasting salad. Another fat-reducing option is rinsing tuna packed in oil with a small stream of water in a strainer to remove excess oil as I did here. This tuna salad uses balsamic vinegar for added flavour and no mayonnaise at all. Perfect for picnics and beach barbecues too!!!

North Americans eat canned tuna more than any other type of fish, but, it doesn't compare to the wonderfully firm, dense and meaty flavor and texture of fresh tuna. Both canned and fresh tuna are available throughout the year. December is the time to get fresh Hawaiian tuna. Tuna is found in the warm water areas of the Pacific, Atlantic and Indian Oceans as well as the Mediterranean Sea.
Even if it gets a bad "rap" I do love a homey tuna casserole once in a while and a lightened up version of a tuna salad can always be found on my table during the week!!!

** Lightened-Up Tuna Panini**



Two 6-ounce cans chunk tuna
1/4 cup finely diced red onion
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon minced basil
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
Salt and freshly ground pepper
4 ciabatta rolls, split
Dijon mustard and mayonnaise, for spreading
Eight 1/4-inch-thick slices of Swiss or cheddar cheese (6 ounces)
Sixteen 1/8-inch-thick lengthwise slices of kosher dill pickles (optional)

In a medium bowl, mix the tuna with the onion, olive oil, vinegar, basil and crushed red pepper. Season with salt and pepper.Heat a panini press or griddle. Spread the cut sides of the rolls with mustard and mayonnaise and top each roll half with a slice of cheese. Spread the tuna salad on the bottoms and cover with the pickles.

Close the sandwiches and brush the outsides of the rolls lightly with olive oil.Add the sandwiches to the press and cook over moderate heat until the cheese is melted, about 6 minutes.

Cut the sandwiches in half and serve.

Serves 4

You are reading this post on More Than Burnt Toast at http://morethanburnttoast.blogspot.com. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to the author/owner of More Than Burnt Toast. All rights reserved by Valerie Harrison. Best Blogger Tips

16 comments:

  1. I prefer the tuna in oil and naughty ole me does not even rinse it...I do not add mayo though and I leave out the butter on the bread!!! I would also come for meals regularly at your house, Val!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look really good! I like this version!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why couldn't I have invented Panini? SO versatile and a staple in my house. These look great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks amazing, Val, but I'm not sure how light it would be with all the olive oil? It would be something I'd just love, though. I, too, am a tuna casserole fan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Val, I always have a number of cans of tuna in the pantry and they always come to the rescue! The panini looks filling and I like your lighter version! Oh! I always make a tuna "surprise" casserole every now and then too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We don't have fresh tuna here so the only tuna I really ever get to eat is canned tuna! I usually buy the albacore solid white in water. Maybe I need to try it in oil next time! The panini look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your tuna mixture sans the mayo and with a vinaigrette instead. I use my panini press often and thanks for another (light and healthy) recipe for it.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always go for the tuna canned in water, but after reading this post I will think about it twice. I agree fresh tuna tastes a lot better, but canned is still a very tasty, especially if you prepare it, I know what I am having for lunch today :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Panini's are such a great, easy meal. I have a favorite tuna panini, but I'll need to try your version, too. It looks delicious and I love the balsamic vinegar in there - yumm!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I make my tuna dressing with low fat Greek strained yogurt and mustard instead of mayo, then add more roast peppers and tomato. If you season it correctly it makes a great light tuna sandwich!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love sandwiches in the summer!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great panini! I am so glad we have a panini maker!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I definite like the tuna in oil, from Italy. Now I have a hankering for a tuna panini too.
    LL

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this panini Val!!! Nice lightening up of a great sandwich!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ha ha, when I read that you loved a 'homey' tuna casserole I didn't read it right, gave me a laugh today!
    Who could resist this fabulous panini? Not me! Looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'll have to give this a try. I love tuna, and either eat it in white bean salads or mixed with mayo. This will be a nice change for me!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my home. Thank you for choosing to stay a while and for sharing our lives through food. I appreciate all your support, comments, suggestions, and daily encouragement.

Val

This blog uses comment moderation therefore SPAMMERS, SELF-PROMOTERS and ADVERTISERS will be deleted.