23 August 2009

Blueberry Buttermilk Pikelet/Crumpets

Blueberry Buttermilk Pikelets
Sundays are days worth dreaming about. It is probably the only day of the week that I am "allowed" to sleep in if I care to, have a leisurely breakfast and just do as I darn well please!! It is a time to catch up with the family and then make plans for the rest of the week. I have been on a pikelet kick lately. You can read about my pikelets in my previous post here. I grew up with savory versions but have recently been introduced to sweet. What better way to begin my inititiation than to utilize the freshly picked berries of the season!!! Blueberries are a favourite of mine and pack an anti-oxidant punch as well. I get to kill two birds with one stone with my addiction to melted butter which will ooze from every nook and cranny and I am able to consume something relatively healthy as well.

Pikelets...crumpets...what's in a name? Are these crumpets or are they pikelets? I have come to my own conclusion (that I am sticking to) that crumpets are baked on a griddle in a metal ring. The action of the heat from below on the yeast or the raising agent reacts and bubbles are formed quickly and burst at the surface, giving an uneven, pitted top. Pikelets are thinner, and are baked on a griddle without a ring to hold them. Pikelets are also cooked on both sides. I cooked these on both sides even though I used a ring...so where does that leave these? Who cares...they were just delicious and fuss free!!!

Blueberry and buttermilk pikelets are a great way to end the weekend and they're so simple to make. Pikelets have a firm place in the hearts and mouths of Aussies, Kiwis and Brits and can be served with jam, butter or whipped cream. I usually just eat them with a little butter...ok...a lot of butter... or with a little icing sugar on top.You can use either fresh or frozen blueberries in this recipe. If you are using the frozen kind, keep them in the refrigerator until it's time to mix them into the batter.
The recipe calls for self-raising flour which is not readily available here in Canada (that I am aware of). Therefore make your own. Sift two teaspoons of baking powder with every cup of flour used. The other alternative is to sift half a teaspoon bicarbonate of soda and one teaspoon of cream of tartar with every cup of flour.

Pull up a chair, gather friends and family around and serve with a Mimosa or Bellini...and best of all ENJOY!!!



**Blueberry Buttermilk Pikelets**


1 -1/4 cup self-raising flour
2 tablespoons sugar
3/4 - 1 cup buttermilk
1 large egg
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 tablespoon milk
1 cup of fresh or frozen blueberries (if frozen, keep in freezer until needed in recipe)
Extra butter for greasing frying pan

Sift the flour and sugar into a mixing bowl. Stir with a wooden spoon to combine. Set aside.

Whisk the buttermilk, milk, butter and egg together in a separate bowl. Add the buttermilk and egg mixture to the flour mixture. Whisk until smooth. Now add the blueberries to the mixture. If you are using frozen blueberries, stir them through very gently and slowly with a spatula or wooden spoon so that they don't get mushy and turn the batter blue.

Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Brush with a little melted butter. Spoon about 1/8 cup of the mixture into the pan (in this case I used a ring). Cook for about 2 minutes or until the surface starts to bubble. Use a spatula to carefully turn the pikelets over and cook for a further 1-2 minutes or until cooked through.

Transfer pikelets to a plate and cover loosely with foil. Repeat the process with the remaining mixture. You will need to lightly grease the frying pan with melted butter in between frying.

Serve the pikelets warm or at room temperature with icing sugar or jam and butter.

NOTE: The recipe calls for self-raising flour which is not readily available here in Canada (that I am aware of). Therefore make your own. Sift two teaspoons of baking powder with every cup of flour used. The other alternative is to sift half a teaspoon bicarbonate of soda and one teaspoon of cream of tartar with every cup of flour.

You are reading this post on More Than Burnt Toast at http://morethanburnttoast.blogspot.com. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to the author/owner of More Than Burnt Toast. All rights reserved by Valerie Harrison. Best Blogger Tips

30 comments:

  1. Val these looks scrumptious! I've never seen these before they're wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. more pikelets? do you know what you are doing to me?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great! I have a TON of huckleberries to use and I'm looking for different things to make with them. I'm definitely bookmarking this recipe (have also bookmarked the post you linked to about pikelet). This is great timing - thank you!

    I've never heard of a pikelet before, and I grew up in a pretty traditional household! I'll have to talk to my dad and see if he remembers them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I would love to have a few of these right now. Look how fluffy they are.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmm these look fluffy and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those pikelets look so delightful!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, maybe you could call them "pikepets"!! You know ... part PIKElet, part crumPET!!!

    These look lovely! I like both their size and shape. Anything made with buttermilk appeals to me! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OK, I just finished making my huckleberry version of these! Post will be up on Tuesday.

    Excellent taste & nice & fluffy, but to me they were just like a thick pancake. Which isn't denigrate them at all because God knows I love a good pancake!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the enthusiasm you display towards pikelets and crumpets Val! Again, these look plump and full of goodness...perfect for a Sunday brunch!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't think that I have ever had a pikelet but crumpets are so good! Adding blueberries to them would be amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You always have the most delicious looking dishes around. Another great recipe! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The pikelets look light and fluffy and super-morish with all those delicious blueberries!!!! Perfect for a weekend morning!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. i knew i'd like these, and i was right. they're the perfect thickness and so laden with lovely blueberries. terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  14. absolutely divine! i really miss this kind of food - just doesnt go down well here - it is deemed too foreign looking!

    ReplyDelete
  15. These have to be rthe best looking pikelets that I have ever seeen - love the blueberries. My pikelets always look like star fish because I haven't mastered the art of getting the batter not to splash.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mmm... those look absolutely perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my goodness, SO perfect!! Wow! We're already addicted to your blueberry scones... :-) I just know we're about to become addicted to these as well! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Vall this look really amazing and tasty!! and beauty pics!! love it!! gloria

    ReplyDelete
  19. So handy that you broke down what self rising flour is. I accidentally purchased self rising flour and used it when not needed. Now I know how to convert it for a recipe. My mom is going to Vancouver next week, I hope she picks me up some of your delicious toffee. The name escapes me for the moment but it is just one big chunk of chewy toffee. I am also making breakfast for dinner tonight. Perhaps I will include these! Thanks for the delicious recipe.
    kasha
    http://grubandstuff.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. These look really wonderful. I was about to ask how you got them formed so perfectly but I went back and re-read your post and I see that you used a ring. Smart!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I had never heard of pikelets or crumpets .. but I definetly have to try them, they look divine! Look somehow close to pancakes, though I do not want to introduce a third concept here!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yummy yum yum! Its just past 10pm now and I wish it was breakfast. Heck, I just wished I lived next door to you so I could have some of those pikelets! The photo is stunning as well...

    ReplyDelete
  23. my kids would love these... :D

    ReplyDelete
  24. I agree, whatever they are called, they look delicious! Like a super thick pancake!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am still so intrigued by these...I loved the last version AND this version. I must try to make some.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh! And to think I was just wondering what I was going to do with my buttermilk this morning.

    There look fabulous, Val, and would be perfect with some of our wild Quebec blueberries I picked up from the market this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Just catching up on your posts here. These look lovely. A must try!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hmm, seems like what we call pancakes here and they look delicious! Of course, they have blueberries and that is a big attraction for me!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Yopu have to try them, they just don't taste anything like pancakes..they are just addictive:D

    ReplyDelete
  30. what an incredible consistency. I have never seen bfast cakes like this! I have a lot of pancake lovers who will adore this recipe, thank yoU!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my home. Thank you for choosing to stay a while and for sharing our lives through food. I appreciate all your support, comments, suggestions, and daily encouragement.

Val

This blog uses comment moderation therefore SPAMMERS, SELF-PROMOTERS and ADVERTISERS will be deleted.