17 June 2009

Grilled Black Bean Quesadillas


Having a 3 hour lunch break certainly has its advantages on stunning summer days like these. I can enjoy the day just as I would like to by having lunch with friends, reading at the beach, shopping, running errands, just about anything, or of course I can go home and catch up on some blogging!!! Problem is if I am sitting at a lakeside lunch spot or on the beach it is a little difficult to gain strength and go back to work. You can see that can't you:D In August our office will be moving to a heritage home in the downtown core. Imagine all the distractions I will have then!!!!!

Yesterday L'il Burnt Toast and I had lunch at a relatively new restaurant, Cabanas, which is owned by Ned Bell. Close to the beach and the "young" crowd it offers fabulous and innovative cuisine. I had to tear myself away from the conversation and head back to work. Today I am having lunch with another friend at an orchard so I will have to drag myself back to work again. Good thing I love my job!!!! When I am at home after a day at work or during my lunch break quick and easy often falls into play. That is why the barbecue is my best friend!!!

The quesadilla is loosely defined as a Mexican version of a grilled cheese sandwich and fits the bill perfectly. The word comes from the Spanish language, and literally means "little cheesy thing" or "cheesy." They are one of the easiest, healthiest and delicious recipes to prepare on the grill.

The basic quesadilla is made up of a tortilla, cheese, and anything else your little heart desires. They are so wide open to interpretation and don't really even require a recipe!!!! Just do your thing!!! The tortilla is folded over and then browned or grilled on both sides before cutting it into wedges and serving.

I am told that the sincronizada (Spanish for "synchronized") is a tortilla dish frequently confused with quesadillas by tourists in Mexico, because it is what is typically called a quesadilla in most Mexican restaurants outside of Mexico.

There is a wonderful Mexican restaurant south of here along lake Okanagan that serves up authentic Mexican dishes. It is an hour away but well worth the drive for the sensation that you are actually in Mexico!!!

This is my version of a quesadilla. It is vegetarian but you can always add chicken, shrimp or beef to boost the protein factor.

I served it with this guacamole from Rick Bayless.

**Grilled Black Bean Quesadillas**
Printable Recipe

4 whole wheat flour tortillas
1/4 cup black beans, cooked and lightly mashed ( I most often use canned to simplify the process)
8 red and yellow pepper strips, grilled
2 tablespoons roasted corn ( for a quick solution use frozen corn)
2 tablespoons tomato, chopped
2 tablespoons green onion, chopped
1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
1/2 cup (8 ounces) fat-free mozzarella cheese, grated
1/4 cup goat cheese feta (optional) ( I use cojita when available)
Pinch of cumin
Pinch of chili pepper
Salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
Salsa
******************
Preheat grill to a medium setting. Mix all ingredients together in a bowl.

Thinly spread 1/4 cup of mixture on top of tortilla, fold in half. Lightly spray the top and bottom tortilla with cooking spray. Place quesadilla on grill and allow one side to brown 4 to 5 minutes. Flip quesadilla and brown the other side for a few minutes. When cheese is melted through, remove quesadilla and allow to cool slightly and cut into wedges. Serve with your favorite salsa, sour cream and guacamole.

Makes 2 quesadilla's. Best Blogger Tips

25 comments:

  1. I think vegetarian versions are infinitely more satisfying than meat versions, although I turn down no versions. ;) These look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 3 hour lunch breaks????!!!! Geez! Australia def needs to follow Canada's lead in Industrial Relations!...LOL. Glad you enjoy your mini break from work and produce such lovely dishes for us Val...

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds and looks really good! I love beans and Mexican food!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  4. AnonymousJune 17, 2009

    Quesadillas sound excellent on a grill!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thats a long lunchbreak!! Looks great

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to work where you do. I'd like a three-hour lunch break (although I've gotten away with two-hour lunches when groups have gone out for birthday lunches).

    I love quesadillas. There is just something about the combination of melted cheese and tortillas. This one has many of my favorite ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would have a hard time returning from a 3 hour lunch break myself!

    The quesadilla sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/7430/tasty.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  9. a 3-hour lunch break?!?! did i miss the story behind that? i'm so jealous! reason #2 for my jealousy would be that you got to eat these fabulous quesadillas--just looking at them has made my saliva factory begin working overtime. i love the beaniness, the cheesiness, the corniness, and the guac on top. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really love quesadillas...and grilled cheese - I think there is a theme there...we just got out grill yesterday, and I am loving it so far!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A 3 hour lunch break is like a dream. I would never stop eating...These quesadillas are yum Val. I made some beanie ones too not so long ago, & they were quite as good as non-veg ones. It's a great veggie option!

    ReplyDelete
  12. mmmm, I love it! And what? 3 hour lunch break? Are you serious. That kinda makes for a long day...I'd have a really hard time going back to work.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love, love, love any kind of quesadilla! Normally, I like the really greasy, fattening ones, so I have to resist most of the time.

    Thanks for the healthier version. I like your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  14. black beans are such a great protein source, and they seem to do so well with south of the border entrees.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'll toast to a leisurely lunch anytime!

    Lovely flavor combination here, Valli, my boys would eat these right up.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Absolutely no need to add meat to this beautiful creation :) Looks great Val.

    ReplyDelete
  17. WOW 3 hour lunch break - sounds perfect to me *wink* *wink* Your quesadilla looks and sounds utterly delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  18. little cheesy thing is right!! i love eating all this great food when i go to Mexico; and then coming home and making it so much fun! nice recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have a hard enough time going back to work after 1 hour, so I know what you mean. :) These look great. I recently made some chicken & goat cheese quesadillas and just loved the goat cheese in them.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Quesadillas are a mainstay in our house. In the winter, I make them on a griddle; in summer, on the grill. There's nothing that doesn't taste better topped with gooey melted cheese inside a tortilla.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ooooh, I love how you grill your quesadillas! Such a gorgeous photo, with the fluffy dollop of guac on top! Perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yeah, I was able to access your blog! I've had the worst time for about a month now, trying to log into some of my favorite places. The loading just hangs and hangs. Thankfully, I've at least been able to read them through Google Reader! Anyway ... this is a wonderful recipe. My hubby would really enjoy this as he loves the combo of black beans and corn. What a great idea to use feta, too. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love quesadillas Vall and this look awesome!! xGloria

    ReplyDelete
  24. Something new for the grill for us to try.... great idea... I even have black beans!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Important to note that 3 hour lunch breaks are not the norm - you're just one of the lucky ones. I want your job.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my home. Thank you for choosing to stay a while and for sharing our lives through food. I appreciate all your support, comments, suggestions, and daily encouragement.

Val

This blog uses comment moderation therefore SPAMMERS, SELF-PROMOTERS and ADVERTISERS will be deleted.