8 April 2009

Grandma

Mom's Potato Bread

I'm contributing this recipe to Laura from The Spiced Life for her wonderful event Grandma's Recipes Her event spotlights recipes passed down to us from our grandmothers. What a terrific way to honor these time honoured recipes. This recipe actually comes from my own mother, but she is a grandmother many times over.
This version of potato bread is not light and tender like a yeast loaf, which is also delicious, but more like a potato scone. It is a favourite recipe here in the More Than Burnt Toast household. If you can't find this British cheese use Cheddar.
Every family has their heirloom recipes that are passed down from generation to generation. I don't know if this was my grandmothers recipe exactly, but I am sure it is close. I never had the pleasure of meeting either of my grandmothers who both passed away quite young. I did meet my grandfathers in England though.



On another note I don't know if I will be around this blog as often as I usually am and commenting on yours as I usually do. Yesterday I started a new job. It has been a long time coming.

**Mom's Potato Bread**

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon mustard powder
2 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup grated red Leicester cheese
2 cups cooked, mashed potatoes
¾ cup water
1 tablespoon oil

Lightly grease a cookie sheet.

Sift the flour, salt, mustard powder and baking powder into a mixing bowl.

Reserve 2 T. of the grated cheese and stir the rest into the bowl with the mashed potatoes. Mix until well combined.

Pour in the water and the oil, and stir all the ingredients together (the mixture will be wet at this stage). Mix them all to make a soft dough.

Turn out the dough onto a floured surface and shape it into an 8-inch round loaf.

Place the loaf on the cookie sheet and mark it into 4 portions with a knife, without cutting through. Sprinkle with the reserved cheese.

Bake the loaf in a pre-heated oven at 425 degrees for approximately 25-30 minutes.
Transfer the bread to a wire rack and let cool. This bread should be served as fresh as possible or toasted.

Note: You can use instant mashed potatoes for this if you like.

You are reading this post on More Than Burnt Toast at http://morethanburnttoast.blogspot.com. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to the author/owner of More Than Burnt Toast. All rights reserved by Valerie Harrison.
Best Blogger Tips

25 comments:

  1. So, we've got some cheese, some potato, grandma's recipe and something to warm the tummy. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mother's food is always the best and I reckon Grandma's food comes a close second!! This potato bread from your Mom looks just lovely Val!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great Val! I'd like it toasted with lots of butter and cracked pepper thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds fabulous. I'm not familiar with Leicester cheese. If I can't find it, what can I substitute?
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a wonderful event! Your dish is of course great too :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds such a great event Val. Loving your mom's potato bread with scrummy Leicester cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! The potato bread looks tasty!

    Congratulations on the new job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting! This potato bread sure looks mighty good!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's interesting, I've never made potato bread. Looks good. That's a great event.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can see why this recipe has been a favorite with your family!

    Good luck with the new job Val.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations on the new job Val! I've never seen a recipe like this before it looks fantastic. Who wouldn't love this, seriously!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't think I've ever had potato bread - it sounds very Irish to me. I like the combination of potato and cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations on the new job Val!
    Come back as you can, really appreciate how time consuming a new job is.
    This looks like a very valuable recipe! Thanks ever so much for sharing it here.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love cheese, potatoes, bread of all kinds and specifically I love scones. This is a great submission--thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Why did I not think of that...it is a marvelous idea!!!! I have so many recipes from Grandma that I can share!!!Love the idea of potato bread!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That looks delicious and the perfect thing to submit for this event! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That looks wonderful, great entry!
    Good luck with the new job, hope it goes well for you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. mashed potatoes with cheese and in bread form? your ma does good work. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Reminds me of your potato bread I made the last time we were paired up for T&T.
    Well, we've been paired up again.:)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks to a couple of food blog challenges, I have discovered the joy of baking with potatoes. Everything that I have baked has come out moist and tender. This recipe looks delicious and it is a tryer, too!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Mmm potatoes & cheese in a bread format - delicious. I'm saving this recipe! Congratulations on the new job. =)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Old, tested family recipes are always the best!!
    I want to cook more "classics" like this this year...
    Have a nice evening, Margot

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh the potatoe recipes you do have...keep'em comin!

    ReplyDelete
  24. First time in ur blog. I love ur blog very much. Grand ma recipes always taste great. I'll visit often. I dont know whether I can participate events as I am Indian.
    If yes, can u pls send me blog events roundup.
    Can you pls send links of videos to demonstrate how to shape it into an 8 inch round loaf.
    Pls help me as I want to try ur grandma's recipe.
    You can contact me at simplyinnocence@gmail.com
    My blog is exotickitchen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Potato... cheese... what could possibly go wrong?! Thanks for sharing such a lovely recipe. You are lucky to have heirloom recipes like these - my mom's mother passed away when she was very young and so I never knew her, nor did my mom have many memories of her.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my home. Thank you for choosing to stay a while and for sharing our lives through food. I appreciate all your support, comments, suggestions, and daily encouragement.

Val

This blog uses comment moderation therefore SPAMMERS, SELF-PROMOTERS and ADVERTISERS will be deleted.