10 February 2009

Pasta with Chicken & Spinach Red Wine Sauce for PPN #100


Ruth over at Once Upon a Feast has been organizing Presto Pasta nights every Friday for over 2 years now. Even if I don't prepare pasta sometime over the week I always head to her site to find out what everyone has been up to. It's a great place to come across some delicious recipe ideas for those who are struggling to decide "what's for dinner"!!!!! She is the very first blogger I ever met before I even knew what a blog was. She is also a fellow Canadian blogging out of Halifax, Nova Scotia so if you haven't had the pleasure of visiting her blog please do!!!I don't eat pasta as often as I would like but I do enjoy participating in the Presto Pasta Nights event whenever I can!!!!




I hope you will all join Ruth in making this weeks Presto Pasta Nights a huge success. The event is already a huge success in it's own right but this week will be roundup #100!!!!! E-mail your favorite pasta recipe to Ruth directly at Once Upon a Feast at ruth (at) 4everykitchen (dot) com

** Pasta with Chicken and Spinach Red Wine Sauce**

2 boneless skinless chicken thigh/breast, diced
2 cans (14 oz/398 mL) chopped tomatoes (can also use the flavoured ones)
1 lb penne pasta (or what ever pasta shape you have on hand)
2 small zucchini, grated
Large handful of spinach
6 white button mushrooms, sliced
1/4 cup red wine
1 tablespoon fresh basil, oregano or thyme
Salt and pepper to taste
2-3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 onion, finely diced
3-4 tablespoon cream
Parmesan Reggiano cheese, grated ( for serving)

Add a tablespoon of oil and a tsp of salt to a large pot of boiling water. Add the pasta and cook.
Meanwhile, in a large skillet add a tablespoon of oil and heat through then add the garlic and onion and saute until translucent. Add the chicken and cook for approximately 2 minutes. Add the mushrooms and heat through. Add the tomatoes, red wine, all the herbs apart from the basil and zucchini and heat through until the chicken is cooked approximately another 5 minutes. Once chicken is cooked add the seasoning, cream, basil and washed spinach and just heat through until the spinach is just starting to wilt. Be careful to not boil the sauce once the cream has been added.

Strain the pasta and put into a serving bowl. Top with the chicken and sauce. Sprinkle with grated Parmesan.

Note: To boost the health factor you can substitute wholewheat pasta and add other grated vegetables such as carrots and peppers or olives.

Serves 4

You are reading this post on More Than Burnt Toast at http://morethanburnttoast.blogspot.com. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to the author/owner of More Than Burnt Toast. All rights reserved by Valerie Harrison.
Best Blogger Tips

22 comments:

  1. My post for PPN is also with chicken. I am sure it will be a great success for Ruth. Love all the ingredients in your dish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I might just do that...send my entry! I love the red wine sauce paired here with spinach...very different!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A wonderful pasta dish! Lovely!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love what you created... it must be so yum... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. How yummy is that Val...better still because I can find everything easily here.I hope I can get something in by the weekend to Ruth as well, though I did a repeat pasta last night which I posted a month ago. :0(

    ReplyDelete
  6. After all of this time reading your blogs, I am still often in awe of how prolific you are with your recipes. This looks great. It's simple and you're so right about it being a good way to get your veggies in.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wine has a way of making most pasta dishes turn into magic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm loving the pasta you used! The ridges, the macaroni shape - perfect for getting a great sauce to noodle ratio!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with That Girl - I love the pasta you used. The dish looks amazing, hands down. I bow down to you.

    Who's that handsome devil at the end of your post??

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks delicious, It's about time I submitted one of my recipes, I've been planning to for ages!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love both dishes Val - the one you cooked and the one that's hot on the bottom of the post. Oh right, this is a food blog - not a dating site - damn.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wine and pasta? That's for me!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely dish for the 100th post.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey - I'd better get a move on and take part in the centenary edition! Your chicken pasta looks fab :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bravo for Ruth! And bravo for you darling! Pasta is the joker in the kitchen and your little (galets) that's how we call them in Catalonia smell wonderfully... yes, I can smell them from here ;D

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Val:

    The pasta looks fabulous! I might not have to look further for a recipe for Taste and Create! Just kidding! I look forward to browsing through your blog but the pasta dish is a contender.

    Regards,

    Christine
    Taste and Create partner

    ReplyDelete
  17. This look so delicious and fresh Val! Yum! I think it is a great entry!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That looks like a filling yet light pasta dish all at once. Lovely flavors, lovely colors. I can eat pasta all day, every day!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This sounds so good! I love chicken with spinach and mushrooms, especially in a red wine sauce. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. You make me blush! Thanks for being such a fantastic Presto Pasta Night regular. I always love to see what you come up with.

    This dish has me drooling.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love all of the flavors in this dish. It sounds like they would taste so fresh!

    ReplyDelete
  22. It's so good to see all the events that you are featuring on your blog. I love it.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my home. Thank you for choosing to stay a while and for sharing our lives through food. I appreciate all your support, comments, suggestions, and daily encouragement.

Val

This blog uses comment moderation therefore SPAMMERS, SELF-PROMOTERS and ADVERTISERS will be deleted.