17 February 2009

An Original "7 Layer Dip" Pizza


"7  Layer Dip" Pizza


I find myself heading over to Facebook more and more these days. I am always a little far behind because the"new" thing is Twitter (which I haven't even signed up for). As I said I am usually a year behind.

I came across this fun MEME on Facebook that I had to share.

Go to google and search "(your name) likes to" and write the first 10 things that come up...This was hilarious!!!!




Valerie likes to.....

1) Valerie likes to gossip about her life, including her psychotherapy sessions....
2) Valerie likes to be outdoors.
3) Valerie handles her relationships.
4) Valerie likes to do stuff on the computer and likes to draw fantasy stuff.
5) Valerie really likes Texan Seafoods.
6) Valerie would love to play croquet or bean bag toss.
7) Valerie, her husband, their infant son, and their long haired Chihuahua love living in Louisville. 8) Valerie likes to say it was “just the two of us, on a 37-foot sailboat. And we’re still married!”.
9) Apparently Valerie likes to swim in lakes. And also, they’re apparently more fun to swim in in the middle of winter. ...
10) Valerie likes to snack on radishes dipped in balsamic vinaigrette and logs some 10,000 daily steps on a pedometer, both of which have paid off...

These are all other Valerie's, in fact the last one is Valerie Bertinelli for Weight Watchers. I got quite the chuckle out of it. Go ahead and do it I dare "ya".

But enough frivolity and on to the seriousness of recipes...even if this is a fun and fanciful appetizer.

I was wanting a pizza that I could use more as an appetizer rather than as a meal. I was also craving those Mexican and spicy flavours and had one of my favourite dips in mind...a 7 Layer Dip. As you know this popular dip has layers of refried beans, salsa or tomatoes, guacamole, onions, lettuce, sour cream and olives. This pizza appetizer I created that is reminiscent of all those wonderful flavours. For an added dimension you could also add a layer of cooked ground beef after the refried bean layer and turn this into a meal.

I am sending this recipe over to Lore for his Original Recipes event over at Culinarty. This round-up event is all about your own culinary concoctions and delicious creations. It is Lore's strong belief that they usually turn out better than cookbook recipes and bring us an enormous amount of satisfaction when we are successful! This is an event that also wants to encourage those of you who for one reason or another have never tried to create a recipe and to prove there’s nothing to be afraid of.For the rules please check the event link.

**7-Layer Dip" Pizza**

Dough for 1 medium sized pizza (12-inch)
3/4 cup refried beans
1/2 cup salsa
2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
2 spring onions, chopped
2 small tomatoes, chopped
1 avocado +2 tsp lemon juice, sliced
1/4 cup black olives
Jalapeno peppers if desired
1/2 cup sour cream
2 teaspoon taco seasoning mix

Spray a baking sheet or pizza pan with cooking spray. Preheat oven to 425 F(220 C)

On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 12-inch circle. Transfer the dough to the pan and build up the edges slightly. If desired, flute the edges.

Prick well with fork, to keep the pizza flat.

Prebake in a 425F (220C) oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned.

Remove dough from oven and spread a layer of refried beans to within 1-inch of edge of pizza dough. If your refried beans are a variety that are more compact heat up the refried beans. A microwave makes for a very evenly done result because they work by heating water in food. Refried beans have considerable water inside, so the method works well for them. Then spread them onto the baked pizza crust. Layer on the salsa, followed by the cheddar and mozzarella cheeses. (For a nice variation, use a bit of pepper jack cheese in the mix if you desire). Sprinkle with chopped spring onions, olives and jalapeno peppers if using. Bake about 12 minutes more or until cheese is melted.

Remove from oven. Top with tomatoes. Slice avocados and sprinkle with 2 tsp lemon juice. Tomatoes and avocados are a traditional Mexican garnish. (Depending on how you like your pizza, you can add fresh or cooked tomatoes after pulling the pizza out of the oven. Or you can put them into the oven a few minutes before it’s done).

Mix 1/2 cup sour cream with 2 tsp of taco seasoning mix. Dollop sour cream on pizza.

Slice and serve.

You are reading this post on More Than Burnt Toast at http://morethanburnttoast.blogspot.com. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to the author/owner of More Than Burnt Toast. All rights reserved by Valerie Harrison. Best Blogger Tips

34 comments:

  1. i dont do facebook, i dont do twitter, but i DO do pizza, big time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! I laughed when i did that meme with my name...it's a lot of fun! love the concept behind your pizza Val...I agree, a layer of ground beef would really make this more of a filling meal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks way too good. WAY. TOO. GOOD.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That pizza looks incredibly good! When Tex-Mex cuisine meets Italian classics, mmmhhhh...

    cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Facebook is awesome!!! I have no clue what Twitter is though... I guess I'm a year behind too!
    Anyways, this looks fantastic! I think I'm gonna pick up the stuff and make it at my cousin's house tonight! Excitement!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never been to facebook or twitter ... not even sure what they are! (I'll have to ask my 13 year olds about that!)

    Love your 7 layer dip pizza recipe, especially with that avocado! This looks like it'd be fun to eat, especially with friends! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmmhh, the pizza looks really good, Val and I liked reading your meme.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I spend more times on Twitter than Facebook. Love that pizza.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If it works on nachos, why not pizza!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my God...this looks fantastic! I'll be bookmarking this recipe pronto! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love crazy pizzas! Topped with all things you would never think to put on a pizza.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I played your game and you're right - it was pretty funny! My favorite was "Laurie likes to hold on to her 'wires'" - whatever the world that means! As for your pizza - I'd be happy to eat it!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. PS: Psychotherepy? Blog instead!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm a member of Myspace, Blogger, Facebook...I don't think I could deal with Twitter on top of that!

    You had me excited just at the name of this recipe. I LOVE 7 layer dip. Putting it on a pizza is just that much better.

    I love Lore's roundups. I'll go check this one out.

    ReplyDelete
  15. VAlli this look wonderful Im hungry!!!!! xxGloria

    ReplyDelete
  16. OMG! I did your Meme. The very first one was "Terri likes to eat poop..." I don't think today is my day! I'm not going any further.

    The pizza looks great. I like the idea of adding the taco seasoning to the sour cream. It would be great on tacos or burritos, too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Brilliant Val! I love both pizza and 7 layer dip.

    ReplyDelete
  18. hehe, my fav for my like was Shelby likes to Party. How did they know?!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That looks like fun. I can hook you up with #5 for sure! This dip looks great as a pizza -- how creative.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love your 7-layer dip pizza.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I don;t know where to find the time to do Facebook, as it is I spend quite some time behind my computer and that is just food related!!!

    I love the idea of a 7 layer pizza with Mexican flavors - a bit of fusion here???

    ReplyDelete
  22. I haven't found time for the meme yet sis. It does sound fun though and shall try and do it soon. The pizza sounds amazing and with the ground beef it would be something like the Armenian Lahmatzun Pizza!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. That is such a funny Meme! I love your pizza Val. I guess number 11 would be Valerie makes a great 7 layer dip pizza???!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. this is a great pizza recipe... just lovely... :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love your version of pizza here!! Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  26. the more layers of that kind of stuff, the happier i am. :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Now this is really something else, thanks for sharing it with Original Recipes! Love the idea of sour cream on top of a pizza :) and all the other layers sound equally delish.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Val, pizza and beer are a natural pair...this makes that pairing a MUST!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I think I've fallen in love with this recipe---easy and quick to make, not to mention many of my favorite flavors going on here. This sounds perfect to whip up for a happy hour at home!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Now that's the kind of fusion food I could really get into... Yum! And that meme is funny - there was also one where you Googled "[your name] needs" and saw all the hilarious thins that came up. As for Valerie Bertinelli - now there's a name from the past!! hello the 80s!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Ooo...I LOVE layered dip pizzas!! I never thought of using mozzarella though...that sounds like something worth trying!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh, that's so funny, Valli! And as far as Facebook and Twitter, you are WAY ahead of the game in relation to me, who has yet to venture into either territory! :-) Now, this seven layer dip has my name written ALL over it...thanks for sharing your version of it, which sounds PERFECT! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Oh, what an EXCELLENT idea! I love it, nothing beats a successful fusion.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my home. Thank you for choosing to stay a while and for sharing our lives through food. I appreciate all your support, comments, suggestions, and daily encouragement.

Val

This blog uses comment moderation therefore SPAMMERS, SELF-PROMOTERS and ADVERTISERS will be deleted.