19 January 2009

Spicy Baby Caesar Salad with Crisp Parmesan Chips

Spicy baby Caesar Salad with Crisp Parmesan Crisps
Foodbuzz is proud to be the only online community with content created by food bloggers and rated by foodies, offering over 20,000 pieces of new food and dining content weekly. Members can vote for their favorite pieces of content (recipes, photos, blog posts, videos, restaurant reviews) by “buzzing” them up to the top of the daily menu of submissions. In addition it is the home of the inaugural 24 Meals, 24 Hours, 24 Blogs event—which aims to showcase 24 Featured Publisher blog posts around the globe in a 24-hour period. This is a monthly event that kicked off in September of last year. The event captures the quality and unique local perspective of food bloggers and shares them with the world. The event illustrates exactly what the future of food publishing is all about—"real food, experienced by real people, shared real-time.”



One of the sponsors of Foodbuzz is Earthbound Farms . They have some delicious recipes to offer including this one for Caesar Salad. This uses a slightly spicier, eggless dressing version of this classic topped with crispy Parmesan "chips". I also threw in some bacon for good measure.

**Spicy Baby Caesar Salad with Crisp Parmesan Chips**
by Chef Ted Walter, Passionfish Restaurant, Pacific Grove, CA

Parmesan Chips:

1 cup Parmesan cheese-grated

Croutons:

2 cups sourdough bread-cubed
1/4 cup butter
2 tablespoon garlic-minced

Eggless Spicy Caesar Dressing:

2 tablespoons garlic ( I used 1/2 - 2 cloves garlic)
4 anchovies
3 tablespoons capers
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon dry mustard
1/4 cup sour cream
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1/4 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
Tabasco to taste
A few dashes of Worcestershire sauce

Salad:

Red or green baby romaine (3 baby heads per person), washed thoroughly, especially inside. (from Earthbound Farms)

Parmesan Chips:

Grease a cookie sheet. Lay Parmesan in thin 3" circles. Bake 5 minutes in 350 F oven. The Parmesan will crisp up as it cools.

Croutons:

Toss the bread in melted butter and garlic; toast in oven until golden.

Eggless Spicy Caesar Dressing:

Blend all dressing ingredients in a food processor. Season to taste. Toss romaine with dressing. Spread sourdough croutons over the lettuce, and place the Parmesan chips on top. Add more anchovies if desired.

You are reading this post on More Than Burnt Toast at http://morethanburnttoast.blogspot.com. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to the author/owner of More Than Burnt Toast. All rights reserved by Valerie Harrison. Best Blogger Tips

19 comments:

  1. Great minds really must think alike, Val. I just posted a Caesar salad recipe today too. Very different, though. Yours looks really interesting and molto delicioso!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a neat idea to make parmesan crisps to have with the salad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been down and out with a terrible cold Val and missed some of your posts, I have to go back and see what I missed! I love these Parmesan Chips!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know what would go great with this? Grilled shrimp!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Parmesan Chips! What a delicious salad!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this little taste of spice in my Caesar..very nice Val.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been wanting to make parmesan crisps...but just never get around to it. Yummy, right?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for posting this! I love Caesar salad, but the eggs have always scared me off, a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. When reading your post I was afraid the Parmesan Chips would be fried .. and I have, long ago, removed from my diet deep fried anything. And I love the idea of baking cheese flakes! I have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The crisps look great, perfect for a salad!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Foodbuzz and I love the look of this salad, especially the eggless dressing. The parmesan crisps is just the cheery on top!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. the salad is quite nice, quite nice indeed. the parmesan crisps have my undying love, however. excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the twist with the parmesan crisps. Don't we love Foodbuzz? What a great community.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Far out Val...& too yummy. I love the eggless dressing, as much as I love Foodbuzz. BTW, my precious thyme plants are now beginning to sprout tiny leaves. Can't wait to try the chciken you posted earlier!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really like the addition of buttermilk to make a lower-fat version of the dressing. Caesar salad is one of my favorite ways to eat tons of garlic.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm with Deeba - I so prefer the eggless dressing and love those parmesan crisps.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, I'm loving the eggless dressing, Valli! Sounds so good, as does the "spicy" part of this Caesar salad. You are so creative in the kitchen. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Caesar is one of my all-time favourite classic dishes and I *love* the parmesan crisps! In CHicago I had a Caesar that was basically served in a parmesan crisp basket which was wonderful. And woo hoo, let's hear it for Foodbuzz - I've just participated in my first 24,24,24! Quite pressurized but great fun.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my home. Thank you for choosing to stay a while and for sharing our lives through food. I appreciate all your support, comments, suggestions, and daily encouragement.

Val

This blog uses comment moderation therefore SPAMMERS, SELF-PROMOTERS and ADVERTISERS will be deleted.