31 January 2009

Tomatoes with Pesto Vinaigrette

Tomatoes with Pesto Vinaigrette
I don't know about you but I am tired of all the heavy, comforting dishes of the long winter months. Living in Canada the winter may even be longer than most of you can even imagine (in some provinces). I long for fresh summer flavours, warm sunshine and pots of fresh basil on my patio.

When I was at the market the other day I was lucky enough to have the very helpful sales associate direct me towards huge bags of basil...pesto size bags!!!! She recommended not putting it in the refrigerator, and, do you know, that that huge bag of basil stayed fresh for 2 weeks sitting on my counter top... at room temperature... in its zip lock bag. In the fridge it would have turned brown and wilted in a matter of days. Basil is my favorite herb so I have always found this to be the case. I have been enjoying fresh basil and reminders of warmer weather to come for weeks now. It doesn't take much to make me happy!!!



What also makes me happy is the response we have had for the Bloggeraid Cookbook. As you have already heard Val of More Than Burnt Toast and Giz of Equal Opportunity Kitchen and BloggerAid-Changing the Face of Famineare publishing a cookbook !!!There are no "head chefs" in this project. This is a collaboration of food bloggers and non "foodies" alike who have united to create awareness for world hunger. The group of talented bloggers committed to this project is growing by the minute!!!What better way to join together and "break bread" over some virtual wine and YOUR tasty dishes submitted to the cookbook!!! This project is HUGE but there is still room for YOUR recipe!!!

We all know that 100% of the proceeds from the sale of the cookbook on Amazon will be directed to a specific program of the World Food Programme (WFP), the United Nations front line agency. The needs are great and we have their full approval!!!!!

You don't need to be a member of BloggerAid to submit a recipe. You just need a willingness to share your love of food around the world and want to be involved in raising awareness for the millions who cannot help themselves. There is no cost to you. No monthly fees. Just a sense of satisfaction that comes from participating in this exciting project and seeing your name and recipe in print.

Don't post your recipe...the cookbook will be the round-up where your recipe will be published. Once the cookbook has been published you can post or publish your recipe wherever you like...it will always be yours and you will always receive full credit.

What if my photo skills are not up to cookbook standards? I have seen all that you have to offer when I visit your blogs every day, but, if you like one of our team will recreate your recipe and photograph it for you. Submit a photo anyway because we are our own worse critics aren't we? Don't let that stop you!!!

Email your recipe in a plain text Word document along with a photo of your dish to bloggeraid(AT)gmail(DOT)com by February 12th the deadline for receiving recipes. Let's get the word out!!!!!

I am submitting this reminder of summer for the cookbook. This "Heirloom Tomatoes and Pesto Vinaigrette" is the perfect salad to remind us of warmer, sunfilled days. For now I will close my eyes and dream of warm summer nights and sunshine induced stupor...lying on our local beaches...reading my favourite novel.....

JOIN US.... BECAUSE YOU CAN

You are reading this post on More Than Burnt Toast at http://morethanburnttoast.blogspot.com. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to the author/owner of More Than Burnt Toast. All rights reserved by Valerie Harrison.
Best Blogger Tips

30 comments:

  1. Oh, that salad looks delightful! So colorful and tasty!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing more delicious than fresh tomatoes and basil! I've tried everything to keep basil fresh...zip lock bags, green bags, washing it and wrapping in paper towel, not washing it till ready to use, putting it in a vase with water, etc. I generally just make pesto if I see they're ready to brown and keep it in a jar in the refrigerator. But I've never tried bagging it and leaving it out on the counter. Did you wash it first -- or just as you used it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Believe or not it really did work Joan.I had tried every which way to keep my basil fresh too. I washed it as I was going to use it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's like a breath of summer wafting through the blogosphere. Thanks for the heads up about the cookbook.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just checked my basil pot outside and there are still some leaves on it but not enough to make pesto. The salad looks so appetizing (not that I lack any ;)) and it needs a lot of bread to mop up that vinaigrette.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Val, this is so exciting! I am totally going to submit a recipe and photo to the cookbook. What a fantastic idea. I'm so glad there is a hard deadline too ... i have yet to post about Breadline for Africa, but that is high high high on my list.

    That's so interesting about the basil, too. my basil often turns black after one day in the fridge. now i know what to do. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Val, that looks so wonderful and fresh. The perfect dish to chase away those winter blues.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm amazed that you managed to keep the basil that long! How fantastic. That salad makes me dream of summer too - how wonderful and fresh.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm longing for some warm sunny days - a few more months to wait though!! I can't believe it kept so long. I always put bags of basil in the fridge - will know better next time

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful, passionate post Val! I've blgged about my recipe, & am yet to mail it. It HAS to happen this week. Love the stuff you've done with basil; flavourful & colourful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How summery - I could use some of that today!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great tip for the basil. I did not know. We need these salads now. I crave the light food also. I still have to make my recipe, take a picture and submit. I better hurry.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for the basil tip!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have basil in abundance here and have always kept it in the fridge....never too old to learn...

    ReplyDelete
  15. This recipe makes me feel summery! Just what we need just now. I love basil too, but the las pot I had on my window sill withered within a few days, such a waste. I will have to try your tip!

    Good luck with the cookbook, it is a really good cause and idea. I will try to summon up some ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  16. nice! I still have some basil from last time I bought it (which happened to also be for one of your recipes thank you very much!)

    Looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great tip about keeping the basil fresh! Boy, I am so ready for summer. The tomatoes at the store now are nothing like the ones in your summer photo. *sigh* Hard to believe that Christmas was over a month ago. Come on, summer!

    ReplyDelete
  18. A lovely looking salad!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The colours in this are absolutely gorgeous Val! Very fresh indeed! (thanks for the tip on storing the basil)

    ReplyDelete
  20. pesto always has a home on pasta and sandwiches, but i think incorporating it into a vinaigrette is a wonderful idea! i'd eat salads more often if i had a bottle of that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the colors!! The salad looks so tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I want summer...
    But, where did you find tomatoes worthy of the beautiful basil?
    And 2 weeks??? Sigh....

    ReplyDelete
  23. Stayed fresh fr 2 whole weeks?great!the salad looks amazing love the colors.Good choice for the cookbook.I will send in some recipe too.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've never thought of doing anything quite so simple yet glaringly obvious - delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Okay that did make long for summer flavors! That green is just NICE!

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is so pretty, I sure wish tomatoes were in season right now!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Now that was a fabulous tip about the basil. Who would have thought. Is there an award for fantastic foodie tips? We should create one and put them in the cookbook.
    And that salad - oh goodness - I seem to be at a point with tomatoes where they don't really taste much like tomatoes. Gorgeous entry and a great shot too.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks for reminding us summer is always in our hearts and minds! :) Looks delish.

    ReplyDelete
  29. That basil vinaigrette looks so enticing..waiting for summer.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Mmmmm, basil and tomatoes - doesn't get much better than that! Love thes colourful and tasty salad and am counting the days till summer!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my home. Thank you for choosing to stay a while and for sharing our lives through food. I appreciate all your support, comments, suggestions, and daily encouragement.

Val

This blog uses comment moderation therefore SPAMMERS, SELF-PROMOTERS and ADVERTISERS will be deleted.