30 December 2008

Laura Calder's Warm Potato Salad

Laura Calders Warm Potato Salad
We have a temporary reprieve from all the wintry weather. In keeping with the warming temperatures I decided to add a winter version of the ever popular potato salad to my meal the other night. I didn't take a photo of this recipe from Food Networks Laura Calder so pinched this photo from their site. Bad me...but we are a visual group of bloggers so I thought a photo to be necessary.

I would like to wish you all a healthy and happy New Year. As they always say, "Be careful out there!!". I am looking forward to making new friendships and solidifying others over the next year. I know that there will be many inspiring dishes and stories shared in 2009. It promises to be a good year!!

We are happy to announce that Bloggeraid now has 45 members and continues to grow. Joining this forum allows foodies and bloggers alike to come together to discuss their ideas, and raise awareness . Being a Member or an Ambassador of our social network, you’ll have a place to come where the issue of hunger worldwide is open to discussion. There is a LIVE CHAT where you will meet all your friends, share your thoughts and discuss everyday matters. If you are interested in joining click on the Badge in the right hand sidebar and get started or follow this link!!!!!!!

Don't forget to check out our hostess with this months event Giz of Equal Opportunity Kitchen and her roundup for Because We Can Help !

Bloggeraid has an exciting announcement early in the New Year, so, until then.......

**Laura Calder's Warm Potato Salad**


625 g new waxy potatoes, unpeeled
125 g shelled peas
125 g bacon cut into pieces
1 medium red onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
60 ml white wine vinegar
60 ml chicken stock
125 ml grapeseed oil
Salt and pepper

Boil the potatoes in a large pot of salted water until tender. Drain, peel, and slice into a large bowl.

Meanwhile, cook the peas in a saucepan of boiling salted water until tender. Rinse immediately under cold water, drain, and set aside. (To save time I added the frozen peas to the boiling potatoes for the last 6 minutes of cooking time).

Fry the bacon in a frying pan. When crisp, add the onion and garlic, and stir to warm through.
Pour over the vinegar to deglaze, scraping up the good bits from the bottom of the pan. Stir in the stock and oil.

Add the peas to warm through. Then combine all with the potatoes in the bowl. Season with salt and pepper, and serve.

You are reading this post on More Than Burnt Toast at http://morethanburnttoast.blogspot.com. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to the author/owner of More Than Burnt Toast. All rights reserved by Valerie Harrison. Best Blogger Tips

23 comments:

  1. This warm potato salad looks incredible!!! Love that you "stole" the pic...we are very visual!

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmm...sounds good! I'm not familiar with grapeseed oil. I guess if I call myself a 'foodie', I should try it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never had a warm potato salad, but it sounds divine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've copied down this recipe. It looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds really yummy. Here's to a very healthy and prosperous new year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds and looks great! I am bookmarking this one. I am certain Grumpy would love it and it would be a change of pace for me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. this sort of food I love and is very filling and warm...and is healthy as has all you want from proteins to vitamins ...excellent picture too..well done..thx for being my Foodbuzz friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Warm. Potato. Salad. I think I might swoon! This sounds wonderful! I've not used grapeseed oil ... what's it like? The pilfered pic looks great ... I love seeing photos of food. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. this looks so good. I love warm potato salad!

    I dropped your book in the post today! Let me know when you get it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. did someone say bacon?

    sign me up!

    -Darius
    www.everydaycookin.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks so good Val,a very nice winter potato salad!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks great Val...it has warmed up a bit here too...maybe I could sneak in a margarita!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Have a Blessed New Year dear friend. I am honoured and priviliged to have met you and I am so glad we are friends. All the best for 2009 and beyond! With lots of Love.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Never heard of grapeseed oil before. The potato salad sounds delicious. Happy New Year sis.

    ReplyDelete
  15. See? No one does potatoes like you, Valli! Happy New Year my friend :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mmm, people just don't make warm potato salad all that often. What a shame, it's so good. Yours looks super tasty.
    Have a happy and healthy 2009!

    ReplyDelete
  17. warm potato salad is superior to mayonnaise-y, cold potato salad in every way. very nice, val. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dear Vall, how always so nice and yummy, I whish you a really happy New Year with your family!!! xxxxGloria

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have such a soft spot for warm potato salad---it screams "home." Is there anything more satisfying or comforting? I think not...

    Happy New Year, Val! Here's a virtual toast to 2009, that the new year brings you & yours nothing but the best!

    (P.S. I've been MIA through most of the holidays, and just saw the Barefoot Contessa's Tomato & Goat Cheese Tart post beneath this one. 1 word: DELICIOUS!)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I watched Laura Calder make this on FoodTV the other day and thought about how wonderful it looked and wrote myself a note to make it. Now I'm seeing it again and convinced I need to make this.

    ReplyDelete
  21. The salad looks incredible! I have to get my blogger aid icon back up, for some reason I thought the project was only through Dec. 28th.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Mmm, this reminds me of a German potato salad, which I love. Obviously you cannot go wrong with potatoes AND bacon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm a big fan of Laura Calder, no surprise it's one of her dishes.

    Happy New year and to your health in 2009!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my home. Thank you for choosing to stay a while and for sharing our lives through food. I appreciate all your support, comments, suggestions, and daily encouragement.

Val

This blog uses comment moderation therefore SPAMMERS, SELF-PROMOTERS and ADVERTISERS will be deleted.