30 November 2008

You asked for it ....You Got it.....Holiday Pilaf


Today is December first...the day I put up my Christmas decorations... such as they are... the day I start thinking of holiday meal planning and open houses...the day the count down starts till my favourite day of the year....the day I gorge on the first chocolate in my Advent calendar!!! Twenty five more days till the big day!!!! Of course you all have your shopping completed and your freezers are stocked with goodies...of course...wink...wink... Well...have a shot of your finest whisky (or in my case a Bellini in one hand and a glass of wine in the other), break our the good china and the chrystal glasses, and the fancy duds and let the festivities begin!!!!

This rice dish offers itself to the mix with its festive colourful coat of red and green created by the dried cranberries and pistachios. I served this tasty rice dish with my equally festive chicken the other day. It is a perfect accompaniment for those holiday dishes. In the past I have also added dried apricots to the mix as well ,which add an extra flavour boost of their own.

Let the merriment begin!!!!!!!!!!! Ho..Ho...Ho....Hic....

**Holiday Pilaf**

2 cup wild rice (12 ounces)
6 cup water
1- 1/2 cup dried cranberries or dried tart cherries
2 T butter
4 medium carrots, chopped
2 large stalks celery, chopped
1 large onion (12 ounces), chopped
2 cup regular long-grain white rice
1 can(14 to 14- 1/2 ounces) chicken broth (1 3/4 cup)
Salt and pepper
1/2 cup loosely packed fresh parsley leaves, chopped
4 ounce pistachio nuts, shells removed (1/2 cup), toasted and chopped

*****************
In a 4-quart saucepan, add wild rice to 4 cups water boiling water. Reduce heat to low; cover saucepan and simmer 35 to 40 minutes or until wild rice is tender and grains begin to split. Stir in cranberries; cook 1 minute. Drain wild rice mixture (if necessary) and keep warm in covered saucepan until ready to use.

Meanwhile, in heavy 5-quart Dutch oven, melt butter on medium-high. Add carrots, celery, and onion; cook 13 to 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender and lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Transfer vegetables to medium bowl, and set aside.

In same Dutch oven, add white rice, chicken broth, and remaining 2 cups water. Bring to a boil on high. Reduce heat to low; cover pot and simmer 16 to 18 minutes or until rice is tender and all of the liquid is absorbed.

Add wild-rice mixture, vegetable mixture, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper; cook on medium-low until pilaf is heated through.

Just before serving, gently stir chopped parsley and pistachio nuts into pilaf until evenly distributed. Transfer to large serving bowl.
Best Blogger Tips

28 comments:

  1. A marvelously festive dish! Scrumptious!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ilove pilaf. Like the addition of the cranberries -very festive

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great pilaf recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The dish looks beautiful Sis. An excellent idea for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bring on the celebrations I say Val! Thanks for the recipe...can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. pilafi in crete is an absolute favorite for all celebrations - the dish is so revered that the cook's abilities are judged by how good her pilafi turns out...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I luv that rice bowl and stand (where did you get that)?

    I'm a big fan of wild rice and currants, berries, pom seeds - any would work for me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hou hou hou! I'm setting my house with Xmas ornaments from the 6th to the 8th of Desember :D, but couldn't wait for more at my blog :D

    I also love these days :D and my daughter still has that ilusion... I do have it too♥
    Thanks for the recipe beauty... Rice is always a fantastic choice!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely...and so festive looking with the little addition of 'red'.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thta sounds really good with the addition of cranberries and wild rice.Perfect for the hoilday season.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for all your kind comments everyone.If I recall Pilafi in Crete has noodles in it as well doesn't it...the original Rice-a-Roni? The bolw Peter is a favourite which I have had for years with its grapeleaf design...love it!!My tree will go up the week before Christmas Nuria:D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, Val, this includes SO many of my favorites! I think I'd make this by itself with a salad. YUM.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm loving the idea of adding cranberries!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is really lovely and festive Val. I have been putting up my tree etc too :) I just adore this time of year.

    Rosie x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful and fesitive dish perfect for the holiday season. Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this. It's a perfect side dish. I am putting this on the lsit to try.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love cranberries and rice

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am glad to see that all your hard work is paying off and you most definitely deserve that Angel award!
    I love pilaf and the flavors of this one is so special and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the Christmas colors. And the recipe looks good, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. A Bellini in one hand and a glass of wine in the other?? Go Val!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This sounds very good. I am setting aside the recipe to try it: thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the holiday pilaf, Val---so festive!

    Happy December 1st! I'll raise my glass to you in a toast as well, may your holiday season be merry and bright!

    ReplyDelete
  23. The pilaf sounds very very good, you are great Val I loved your post to kick off the season!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. A great way to start the season! Holiday blogging is going to be the best!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love the sound (and look!) of this pilaf, Valli...its so pretty and definitely festive...a perfect touch for a holiday table! You always make the most enticing things! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Yum, Val! I love the holiday twist on the classic pilaf.

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a great holiday dish - Festive & Tasty. :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. How festive! I love it!
    Bring on Christmas!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my home. Thank you for choosing to stay a while and for sharing our lives through food. I appreciate all your support, comments, suggestions, and daily encouragement.

Val

This blog uses comment moderation therefore SPAMMERS, SELF-PROMOTERS and ADVERTISERS will be deleted.