20 November 2008

Taste & Create...Tartiflette

Tartiflette


For those of you who frequent my blog youknow that I never miss the Taste and Create event which gets bigger and bigger each and every time. It is the brainchild of Nicole (aka Myamii) over at For the Love of Food . I love to visit her site for all the delicious recipes and tidbits of very helpful information. She even has an on-line store with wonderful kitchen gadgets and gourmet foods. If you haven't had the chance to visit this very busy woman please take the time...you will be glad you did.



This month I have been paired with Veronica of La Recette du Jour . She was born in Yorkshire, England but has lived in France since 1997. She loves to cook European and specifically Mediterranean cuisine... but... has a weakness for English puddings.

When I was paired with Veronica it was very hard to browse through her site and come up with ONLY ONE recipe I would like to try. How about Tarte a la Moutarde or Pork Tenderloin with Mustard or Besuc al Horno ?? I was undecided until I came across a dish I have heard of many times in the past year and coveted. I first heard of this dish from Aimee over at Under The High Chair . Veronica says, "This a dish from Haute Savoie (which is where reblochon, one of my favourite French cheeses, is made). Tartiflette is a classic recipe though, and very widely known in France, if not elsewhere — surprisingly we discovered it from a woman who cooked it on the spot at Lézignan market and served it as a takeaway. Easy to make, and very sustaining! Reblochon is a soft cheese about the size of a camembert."

Veronica lives in France where Reblochon cheese is widely available. This rich and creamy French cheese is quite mild for a washed rind cheese, but it's complex enough to be popular with gourmets. Your could substitute Pont-l'Evêque, Brie, Beaumont, Esrom, Beaufort, tomme de Savoie(nuttier taste), raclette, Port Salut, or fontina. Not living in France, Quebec or a larger city centre Reblechon cheese was elusive to me. Sad to say that I will need to take a trip to France...poor me...to say that I have had a true Tartiflette. It is not really Tartiflette unless you use Reblechon I am told due to its unique and distinctive flavour.

I decided upon raclette cheese which is widely available here for its good melting qualities. Although I didn't have the true Tartiflette experience I must say I still thought I had died and gone to cheese heaven......

**Tartiflette**

1 (300 grams)reblochon (cheese)
1 kg waxy potatoes
200 g smoked bacon (lardons), diced
1 onion
3 cloves garlic, crushed
butter
1 large glass white wine
4 tablespoons cream
salt
pepper

Cook the potatoes in boiling water until a little undercooked. Reserve.

Melt the butter in a sauté pan and gently cook sliced onion, garlic and lardons, without letting them brown. Slice the potatoes thickly, add them and continue to cook gently for 10 minutes.

Add the white wine and allow to reduce. Season with salt and pepper.

To prepare the reblochon, you should just cut it in half horizontally — connoisseurs leave the rind on. You can scrape some if it off with a sharp knife if you want.

Preheat the oven to moderately hot, butter a gratin dish, and put the potato mixture in it. Pour over the cream (actually this is a bit excessive — you can leave it out if you want). Place the halves of reblochon on top, rind-side upwards, and put in the oven for 15-20 minutes, until the cheese has melted into the potatoes. Mmmm … Serve with a green salad dressed with a walnut oil dressing.

For another fantastic version try Wild Mushroom Pancetta Tartiflette.

Check out Aimee's Tartiflette too.

You are reading this post on More Than Burnt Toast at http://morethanburnttoast.blogspot.com. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to the author/owner of More Than Burnt Toast. All rights reserved by Valerie Harrison. Best Blogger Tips

31 comments:

  1. Oooh! Another one of your "to die for" potato recipes. Bring on the cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is making me hungry!! Looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooohhh, I could just eat that now! A wonderful dish made with one of my favorite cheeses...

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Potatoes, bacon, white wine and a lovely cheese . . . is that a recipe for heaven? I think it really must be. Wish I was home right now. Gosh, I wish I was home and could light the fire and have this for dinner. Sounds just right for a cold rainy night!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love potato recipes and this one sounds decadent with the cheese and bacon. Definitely bookmarked -- can't wait to check out the rest of Veronica's recipes AND get involved in Taste & Create again. It's been a while!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Outstanding! I'm a lover of cheese as well and to me this is beautiful food.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just reading the list of ingredients in this recipe has me wanting to try it! It looks so good, Val!

    ReplyDelete
  8. you always say such nice things Val!

    ReplyDelete
  9. ...and there you go again, Potato Girl! Another winner to put in my potato recipes-to-try-file! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  10. more cheesey potato deliciousness with the addition of piquant bacon - yum!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks perfect for a cold winter's day. I'd need an extra big plate though. =X

    ReplyDelete
  12. Now I must note the name of the cheese and ask my son to bring some along from France. This is our kind of food. Yum. Thanks sis, for all the nice words, but we are all working very hard for this project.

    ReplyDelete
  13. An excellent choice if I may say so, for cold and gloomy weather! Just don't eat it too often, unless you are skiing all day :-)

    I admit I am still bedazzled and bewildered by my long list of "must try" recipes from your blog, but I will definitely make one (or two, or three...) of them this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your recipes sounds so delicious .... will follow for more!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cheese. Potatoes. Bacon. Love. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. This indeed is a good one Val!Very well done.

    ReplyDelete
  17. frankly, i don't think i can say it any better than elly. love, indeed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Potatoes and cheese is a fantastic combination. I have never heard of this dish, but boy is it fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'll skip the bacon, but gooey cheese and potatoes, what's not to like?

    ReplyDelete
  20. That looks wonderful. Cheese and bacon can never go wrong, even if it is the "wrong" cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Valli!

    You know, I remember seeing Aimee's tartiflette quite a while back, and now seeing your gorgeous rendition just confirms what I thought when I saw Aimee's...cheese, potatoes, wine...what on earth is there not to LOVE about that superb combination?! Heavenly! And as ever, your photos just bring everything to life...I'm surprised I haven't gained a pound just gazing at them. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh wow does that sound good. The three major food groups are present (potato, bacon, cheese)--I would be in my glory

    ReplyDelete
  23. My new mission in life is to find that cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Potatoes, cheese and bacon...mmm...

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ditto what Elly said. I absolutely love Tartiflette. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm looking at the ultimate comfort food. I'm just imagining that wonderful cheese with potatoes and thinking what more do I really need?

    ReplyDelete
  27. I am still on the prowl for this delicious cheese or a Canadian substitution. I have asked at several of our specialty stores so you never know:D In the meantime the raclette worked well....it tasted just like fondue on a plate:D

    ReplyDelete
  28. Ohhh, so very French. I love it. Sounds cheesy and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Yum yum! Val, it's cold enough around here for me to be craving this again. Thanks for the reminder, glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  30. My word, you certainly were spoilt for choice in terms of dishes to choose from! But in the end you chose wisely - tartiflette is one of my all-time favourites! Yours looks spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wow, looks really yummy. I'm thinking about adding yogurt to make it extra creamy.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my home. Thank you for choosing to stay a while and for sharing our lives through food. I appreciate all your support, comments, suggestions, and daily encouragement.

Val

This blog uses comment moderation therefore SPAMMERS, SELF-PROMOTERS and ADVERTISERS will be deleted.