24 November 2008

Salsa Meatloaf

Salsa Meatloaf
Am I starting on my New Year resolutions early or am I breaking out all the stops and getting ready for the calorie laden Christmas holidays where NOTHING...I say NOTHING will be off limits!!! Whatever the reason I was craving meatloaf but wanted a lighter but still flavourful rendition.

"Nothing says comfort food more than a piping hot slice of meat loaf served with mashed potatoes and gravy. Of course, the fat in a slice of meat loaf alone amounts to about 17 grams... even when you use lean ground beef. To lighten your standard recipe use extra-lean ground beef, rolled oats and vegetables (which increases the fibre) PLUS use a salsa topping instead of the usual high-sugar ketchup or chili sauce. Cooking the loaf free form on a baking sheet drains away the fat, which results in only 206 calories and 7 grams of fat per serving."



I served my meatloaf with some steamed sugar snap peas and some "smashed" potatoes that get their flavour factor from the onions and herbs.... minus the gravy...but look at all that BUTTER!!!!

**Salsa Meatloaf**

2 egg whites
1 cup (250 mL) large-flake rolled oats
1 onion, grated
1 cup (250 mL) grated zucchini
3/4 cup (175 mL) grated carrot
1/4 cup salsa (mild, medium or hot...your choice)
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon (5 mL) Worcestershire sauce
3/4 teaspoon (4 mL) salt
1/2 teaspoon (2 mL) pepper
1-1/2 lb (750 g) extra-lean ground beef
1/2 cup (125 mL) salsa for top

In bowl, whisk egg whites lightly; stir in oats, onion, zucchini, carrot, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, salt, thyme, 1/4 cup salsa and pepper. Mix in beef.

Place on greased rimmed baking sheet; form into 13-inch (33 cm) long by 2-inch (5 cm) high oval loaf. Bake in 350°F (180°C) oven until browned, about 40 minutes.

Spread salsa over top; bake approximately another 20 minutes until meat thermometer registers 170°F (77°C).

Serves 8

You are reading this post on More Than Burnt Toast at http://morethanburnttoast.blogspot.com. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to the author/owner of More Than Burnt Toast. All rights reserved by Valerie Harrison.
Best Blogger Tips

29 comments:

  1. Yay, that's nice to be the first one to comment. A friend of yours is a friend of mine and I will visit Schmirly Wirly and say hi. Lovely meatloaf.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does pay to enjoy and yet not go overboard with the calories.
    Happy Thanksgiving/Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Val your Salsa Meatloaf looks scrummy and I know I would love this so saving the recipe to try this one out :)

    Congrats on your award very well deserved :)

    Rosie x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Salsa meatloaf? One word - ole!

    Looks great!

    -DTW
    www.everydaycookin.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love meatloaf. Looks like a great recipe - never put oats in it before?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on your awards!
    I absolutely LOVE meatloaf. It's such a comfort food and your lighter version looks delicious. I'm planning a "Meatloaf Mondays" round-up on a new blog I'm launching next month and would like to feature your meatloaf. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Meatloaf is always a comfort food Val! I'm glad you shared a recipe that is a little lighter...always a good thing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Its nice that you topped it with salsa.....cuts down so many calories,will keep that in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are an inspiration Val and you deserve that award and much more for all you do. The Salsa Meatloaf looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  10. that potato side dish looks great - a perfect accompaniment to the meatloaf - is it quite cool where you are now? we havent had much rain, which is depressing us a little...

    ReplyDelete
  11. What great tips on the meatloaf for keeping the calories down...I even add Blue cheese to mine!

    And the salsa idea I especially like!

    ReplyDelete
  12. sounds like a good resolution to me! :) that's a gorgeous pile o' meat (and taters ain't bad, either), and i love that you used one of my staple ingredients. hooray for salsa. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I had a wonderful meatloaf in Harlem and now I see this...it's a calling for me to make one soon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good morning Starshine!
    I love the new look of your blog :D, green is my favourite colour! And the heading pictures are breathtaking!

    Meatloaf and the salsa is still something that I have to try... Val, why don't you send me an invitation? ;D

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well done on that award of yours, well deserved! The meatloaf looks good and by that I mean that it is light and crumbly. I don not like meatloaves that are so dense. I will enjoy this plate of food!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice , recipe and a little light , better.Tempting !!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you so much for all your encouraging words everyone. Happy Thanksgiving to all my American friends!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love that you cram so many veggies in your meat loaf! Delicious AND healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wait... did you say you put oats in your meatloaf... that's BRILLIANT!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Vall this look delicious! really and congrats by your Award you really have a inspired Blog!! xGloria

    ReplyDelete
  21. I Love Meatloaf - what can I say and I'm probably the only one in my family. Maybe you could convert Psychgrad who can't even look at it. The salsa in the meatloaf must be amazing - just a bit of tang to add to an already great dish.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi, Val. There's an award for you at my blog. :) Please come over and see what it is.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sounds delicious! BTW, I gave you an award. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sounds and looks delicious .. I have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Congrats on the awards Val. You certainly deserve them :). That meatloaf looks wonderful and will be soemthing fun to try between holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I like the nothing off limits approach - excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  27. The whole meal looks so delicious! I love your new header photos and I love your tagline (be yourself). Congrats on your awards!

    ReplyDelete
  28. That meatloaf looks sooooo comforting... happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Salsa would sure kick up a meatloaf!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my home. Thank you for choosing to stay a while and for sharing our lives through food. I appreciate all your support, comments, suggestions, and daily encouragement.

Val

This blog uses comment moderation therefore SPAMMERS, SELF-PROMOTERS and ADVERTISERS will be deleted.