2 November 2008

My Kitchen my World............Germany

Chicken Schnitzel with Bavarian Potato Salad


Each week there is a group of bloggers who take on a countries cuisine one dish at a time. In an effort to expand my horizons and eat more diversified dishes... but still keeping with my love of all things Greek... I have now joined this illustrious group. My Kitchen My World is now moderated by the lovely Lauren of I'll Eat You. The group chooses a country every Sunday. Last week's country was chosen by Roxanne of Roxanne's Road Rules who is sending us to Germany to celebrate Oktoberfest!





When I was 18 I travelled to Europe for an extended holiday and found myself in Munich at a Bierhausen in the heart of the city. I still remember huge walls of rotisseries of salted chicken roasting slowly and trying to drink the equivalent of 3 steins of beer in one shot. Oktoberfest was first held in Munich in 1810 in honor of the marriage of Crown Prince Ludwig. It attracts over 6 million people every year who consume 1.5 million gallons of beer, 200,000 pork sausages and 480,000 spit-roasted chickens during the annual 16-day beer festival.

Where I grew up in Southern Ontario Oktoberfest has been celebrated since 1969. Kitchener-Waterloo Oktoberfest has developed its own traditions, becoming the largest Bavarian festival in North America with the greatest Thanksgiving Day Parade in Canada. Thousands of visitors celebrate annually at their " Festhallen", and by attending one or more of 40 family and cultural events. The local economy is stimulated and over 70 charities and not-for-profit organizations raise funds to support the high quality of life enjoyed in Kitchener-Waterloo.

In keeping with this weeks theme country I decided upon a traditional dish of Schnitzel with a side of Bavarian Potato Salad. Chef Eric Mulder of the Concordia Club in Kitchener, Ontario calls this salad "Bayrisher kartoffel salat". Fortunately you don't have to be able to pronounce it to enjoy it. It's a German potato salad served warm or at room temperature and it's definitely one of the tastiest I have had.. It appreciates a few days to have the flavours marry together for the ultimate in potato salad. Don't wait for Oktoberfest to try making it! You'll be waiting a whole year!!!

** Chicken Schnitzel with Bavarian Potato Salad**

2 large eggs
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon minced fresh parsley
coarse salt
ground pepper
1 cup fresh breadcrumb
(made from 3 slices white bread)
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
4 (6 ounce) chicken cutlets, pounded to an even 1/4 inch thickness
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
1/4 cup dry white wine
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice

Beat eggs in a shallow bowl with garlic, parsley, salt and pepper.

In a separate shallow bowl, combine breadcrumbs (I pulse the bread slices in the food processor to get nice fresh crumbs) and Parmesan cheese.

Dip each cutlet into egg mixture to coat completely, then dredge in breadcrumb mixture, patting it on to help it stick.

For each 2 cutlets, heat 2 tbsp oil in a large non-stick skillet over med-high heat.

Cook 2 cutlets at a time until golden brown and cooked through, about 3 minutes per side.

Transfer the cooked chicken cutlets to an oven-proof platter or pan, and keep warm in the oven while cooking the remaining cutlets and making the sauce.

Wipe the skillet clean with paper towels.

Heat butter until melted and add wine. Heat 30 seconds and stir in broth and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper. Simmer 2 minutes. Pour broth mixture over cutlets and serve.

Garnish with parsley and lemon slices.

**Bavarian Potato Salad**

4 cup potato, peeled, and, sliced, 1/4 inch thick
2 cup chicken broth
1 cup bacon, chopped
1/2 cup onion, minced
1 teaspoon sugar
2 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1/2 cup chopped Italian flat-leaf parsley

Place the potatoes and stock in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer. Cook until the potatoes are tender but still retain their shape. Drain the stock, reserving some.

While the potatoes are cooking crisp the bacon in a skillet. When it is browned and crunchy pour off and reserve the bacon fat. Reserve the crisp bacon.

Whisk together until smooth the lemon juice, sugar, Dijon and 4 tablespoons of the warm bacon fat.

Toss with the potatoes, onions, crisp bacon and parsley. Add a bit of the reserved chicken broth to moisten if needed. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover and let rest for two hours at room before serving.

You are reading this post on More Than Burnt Toast at http://morethanburnttoast.blogspot.com. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to the author/owner of More Than Burnt Toast. All rights reserved by Valerie Harrison. 

Best Blogger Tips

40 comments:

  1. I love Germany and German food and this all looks rich and marvelous! Great post, Val!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whooo! What a dinner! I feel like I'm in Germany.
    But seriously. That looks good.

    Facebook Friend...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love German food. And I think I could exist solely on kartofelsalat! yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just the kind of food I love! A wonderfully hearty meal...

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful German dinner. I like lots of bacon in my potato salad too. Makes me think of home. Danke sehr.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my word, does that every look yummy!!! The schnitzel is similiar to Italian fettina/schnitzel that I make with garlic, parsley and parmesan. In some areas of Bavaria it is made with only egg and bread crumbs, and served with pan-roasted potatoes. I LOVE the sauce in your version ... and the mashed potatoes sound DEVINE! Definitely will have to cook this one for hubby! I still have some chicken breast in the freezer and this would be perfect!

    BTW, I'm not too far from you. I'm originally from the Windsor area. I lived there till I moved to Germany.

    Take care,
    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the schnitzels Val and the salad..a great tribute for Oktoberfest.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Val...are you for real? This is fantastic! I love it that you are part of so much that's happening in foodie blogs. Good for you; what an interesting read. Saw the rotisseries of salted chicken roasting as I read your post...LOL, & the beer too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A fabulous meal, Val! I love, love, love schnitzel and yours looks great! I'm anxious to try the potato salad too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This event sounds great but there are so many events going on that I can't catch up any more. Both your recipes sound delicious and next time I'll try coating them with fresh bread crumbs.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oktoberfest in Munich - now you're talking! I sometimes joke that the reason we live in London rather than in South Africa is that we can get to Oktoberfest cheaply and easily every year! I've just enjoyed my 5th Fest and still adore it. The chickens are still juicy and delicious, and those steins of beer are still as daunting... but you know, we soldier manfully on!!

    Kartoffelsalat is wonderful - especially with some sausages - thanks for the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. great memories, great food, the schnitzel and potato salad look great

    ReplyDelete
  13. I never got to cook a meal for Germany this week! Things happened over the weekend that prevented it. :(

    Your meal looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That looks so good Val! What a great idea for a monthly event!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This kinds of dish can make German cuisine very popular...the spuds are are sounding yum as well.

    ReplyDelete
  16. When I saw the picture, I didn't know what you had made, but I knew I had to make it. It looked so nicely brown, crunchy and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my gosh, that Bavarian potato salad sounds superb, Val! I used to have a similar one at an Oktoberfest we attended back in RI, but I never got the recipe. I'll have to try this one though. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your Oktoberfest dinner looks delicious and I'm intrigued about My Kitchen...My World. I'm going to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is a fun group. What a tasty looking plate. You did really good Val.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a meal! The potato salad is calling my name!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love your memory of your time in Germany. And this looks like a wonderful, hearty German meal.

    ReplyDelete
  22. schnitzel's just so darn fun to say, and although it's hard to believe, even more fun to eat. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Val that is really my idea of a potato salad!! and you make me think I should try Chicken Schnitzel. What a grand dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Seriously comforting food ... wish I had a plate in front of me! And what an interesting event.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Before moving to Kansas City, we lived outside of Chicago and there was one restaurant we loved to visit---the Berghoff. A well-known restaurant, not only in Chicago but throughout America, the original Berghoff served up some of the finest German cuisine to be found in the United States of America.

    The original Berghoff has since closed and become a catering & restaurant group, still serving many favorites, but our memories of the original restaurant live on.

    I'm delighted to see you giving traditional German cuisine a go!

    ReplyDelete
  26. This looks really great Val! Perfect for the weather this time of year. I remember that one employer I had for years used to take us all to a German restaurant around the holidays and I always loved it! This reminds me of those wonderful times!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I've been dying for a good schnitzel recipe ever since I got home from Vienna three years ago!

    ReplyDelete
  28. That looks lovely!
    The header image on your blog is just breathtaking. If I remember right, I did not notice or see it the last time I was here...

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a great idea Val! I think I am going to join that group too. I love German potato salad and your version looks yummy...

    ReplyDelete
  30. Mmmmmmm - there is something just so comforting about German food! Delicious !

    ReplyDelete
  31. My husband would consider this the perfect meal (minus the bacon in the potato salad). Nice breaded chicken is a very overlooked comfort food. Who among us didn't think our mother's chicken cutlets were the bomb?

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh man, I love this. Every single part of this is right up my alley. That cutlet with the parmesan cheese and win and lemon, and then that potato salad with the bacon and onion. Oh yeah, I'd probably lick the plate clean afterward. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Such a hearty meal - definitely soul satisfying!

    -DTW
    www.everydaycookin.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi Val,
    I made both recipes for my husband and he loved them! They turned out so good and tasted better the next day as a cold lunch. Thanks for sharing!
    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  35. No matter the country... your dish would have some kartofen ;D

    A wonderful recipe, Val! Bring over some beers and we are in Munich!!!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Both these recipes are keepers! The potato salad is called german potato salad around here and the chicken ...well I'm going to be making this!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Me again - I've tagged you for something fun over on my blog - have a look:
    http://www.cooksister.com/2008/11/the-commenters-meme.html

    ReplyDelete
  38. in my uni days, Chicken Schnitzel was one of my favourite meals. Then I was lucky enough to visit Munich on work a few times and fell in love with Veal Schitzel! Yours looks just fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  39. What a wonderful German dinner Val. Just gorgeous!

    Rosie x

    ReplyDelete
  40. What a fabulous idea and a great way to keep inspiration in the kitchen fresh!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my home. Thank you for choosing to stay a while and for sharing our lives through food. I appreciate all your support, comments, suggestions, and daily encouragement.

Val

This blog uses comment moderation therefore SPAMMERS, SELF-PROMOTERS and ADVERTISERS will be deleted.